What if Robert dies at trident

Mrstrategy

14 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The rebellion would have ended at the trident. Tywin would have turned on the rebels and routed them back to the north. Aerys would have sent armies to the north and pulled Winterfell down on the Lord Longface and his siblings.

This doesn't make much sense, without Rhaegar the Targs are lost,  in the rebel case, Ned, old Jon and Hoster woulld be all alive and kicking, KL falls all the same and the rebels race south to free Stannis.

Btw,  I would be thrilled to see armies marching to the North in the middle of Winter.

On 12/23/2019 at 12:49 AM, Mrstrategy said:

What if Robert dies at the trident along with with Rhaegar would train still sack kings landing and would stannis be king or would targayen survive?

On 12/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, Jeeves said:

The rebellion would have ended at the trident. Tywin would have turned on the rebels and routed them back to the north. Aerys would have sent armies to the north and pulled Winterfell down on the Lord Longface and his siblings.

Long Face Ned and Hoster would have tried to rally the rebellion around them. Doubt it would have been successful though.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:45 AM, frenin said:

This doesn't make much sense, without Rhaegar the Targs are lost,  in the rebel case, Ned, old Jon and Hoster woulld be all alive and kicking, KL falls all the same and the rebels race south to free Stannis.

Btw,  I would be thrilled to see armies marching to the North in the middle of Winter.

Any of the surviving Kingsguard, except Jaime,  could have served in the capacity of general. Rhaegar was not exactly talented. What a dumbass move it was to fight Robert one to one.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Miguelito Loveless said:

Long Face Ned and Hoster would have tried to rally the rebellion around them. Doubt it would have been successful though.

Any of the surviving Kingsguard, except Jaime,  could have served in the capacity of general. Rhaegar was not exactly talented. What a dumbass move it was to fight Robert one to one.

They were busy protecting Lyanna in the middle pf nowhere.

On 12/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, Dr. Miguelito Loveless said:

It was a dumbass move seemingly motivated by Rhaegar's belief that he was prophesied to win, but since Rhaegar was known to be a great knight and he actually did manage to seriously wound Robert, it wasn't out of the question that he might win. An additional reason for him to try that was because the rebel army was winning the battle and a desperate move might have seemed necessary to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. However, that also means that even if had killed Robert it doesn't mean he could be confident he would win even that battle.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 12:20 AM, FictionIsntReal said:

It was a dumbass move seemingly motivated by Rhaegar's belief that he was prophesied to win, but since Rhaegar was known to be a great knight and he actually did manage to seriously wound Robert, it wasn't out of the question that he might win. An additional reason for him to try that was because the rebel army was winning the battle and a desperate move might have seemed necessary to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. However, that also means that even if had killed Robert it doesn't mean he could be confident he would win even that battle.

Lord Tywin's manner is better: manage the battle from the security of your central command.  A general should not risk the whole war on the results of a duel.  He was a gallant lovely boy but his judgement was suspect.  The same is true for Robert though.  

Even if Robert fell at Ruby Ford(Antler Ford now?), the rebels still would've won the battle by that point I think. Thus, I think in the short term the story still. Tywin still sacks King's Landing, Jaime kills Aerys and Ned relieves Stannis at Storm's End. 

It would present a very interesting scenario as to what comes after though. I can't see Tywin giving up control of King's Landing in the short term until a King is decided. Stannis would think it's his right. Though there wouldn't be a clear consensus amongst the lords of Westeros without Robert's charisma and force of personality to unite everyone.

Which leads to all sorts of questions. Would the lords grudgingly back Stannis? Would Tywin have other ideas? Would there be a need for Ned to hide Jon's identity with Robert out of the picture? Would the civil war continue? All sorts of ways this scenario could go.

If Robert falls at the Trident I think you go to Stannis as this point since they “justified” Robert’s Rebellion by the Targaryen blood he had through the female line. 

-Ned is still going to want Lyanna back. 

-It’s not like Aerys is going to somehow end the war. He didn’t end it even after Rhaegar had died. If anything Robert’s death would have made him even more stubborn to NOT bend the knee. 

-As Selma even days, Viserys has already been showing signs of being mad by the time they fled to Dragonstone.  

Honestly this BIGGEST change that I think could happen is if the realm deposed of the Targaryens and then decided to convene a council about who should rule them. In which case I do believe you end up with a possibly Tywin Lannister I, Protector of the Realm. 

Ned was not the type of person to grasp for Kingship and he would have grudged Tywin but Jon Arryn obviously didn’t think the Lannister’s as very very evil as he marries Cersei to Robert. 

Tywin is also single at this point and could possibly even win the support of the Tyrells if he decides to marry one of their bannermen or someone from their House. 

Stannis of course might grumble but being as just as he is, I think would concede to a Great Council, if he even lives through the siege of Storms End. 

On 12/23/2019 at 4:27 PM, Jeeves said:

Tywin would have turned on the rebels and routed them back to the north.

I think Tywin hated Aerys too much for that. Aerys had insulted Joanna repeatedly, rejected the marriage of Rhaegar and Cersei saying that Targaryens do not wed 'servants', and robbed Tywin of his heir. I can't see Tywin fighting for him.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:34 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Even if Robert fell at Ruby Ford(Antler Ford now?), the rebels still would've won the battle by that point I think..

Yeah, I agree with that. Rhaegar was the only Targaryen leader worth fighting for. Once he was dead, the loyalist army would crumble. The Dornish in particular would be likely to retreat.

Tywin still sacks King's Landing, Jaime kills Aerys

I'm not so sure about that. Tywin decided that a Baratheon monarchy suited him better than a Targaryen rule, and decided to go in deep with the winning side. But without a clear alternative for king, perhaps he wouldn't move as boldly.

It would present a very interesting scenario as to what comes after though. I can't see Tywin giving up control of King's Landing in the short term until a King is decided. Stannis would think it's his right.

GRRM revealed that Robert only claimed the crown around or after the Trident. Stannis would probably never know that his brother had been about to be proclaimed king (or was a candidate for a few days).

I think that since if rebels didn't produce a clear candidate to replace Aerys, Tywin would remain uninvolved. He would leave to the rebels the job of killing Aerys. Once the dirty work was done, he may come in as someone willing to bring peace and mediate between the two sides of the conflict. If he called for a Great Council, his word would carry a lot of weight. Tywin could easily be named regent for the little Aegon, which would give him unlimited power for at least 16 years.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, The hairy bear said:

I think Tywin hated Aerys too much for that. Aerys had insulted Joanna repeatedly, rejected the marriage of Rhaegar and Cersei saying that Targaryens do not wed 'servants', and robbed Tywin of his heir. I can't see Tywin fighting for him.

Tywin might have lost respect for Aerys but he didn't hate his king.  Tywin didn't fight for Aerys because he was sitting on the fence and waiting to see who would win.  He surely would have fought for Aerys if the rebels had shown any signs of falling. 

Archived