What would war of five kings be like with Ned stark in command

Mrstrategy

19 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

What would the war of five kings be like if Ned was in command of North and Riverland  instead of Robb?(POD: Ned actually quit and immediately left kings after Robert orders  Targaryen   kids killed  and as such avoids Jaime fight and getting wounded)

King Viserys III was already dead by the middle of the war. I would have stopped reading if Princess Daenerys had been killed. The story would be a hell of a lot less interesting.  I don't enjoy reading about the Starks and their escapades. Thankfully, Princess Daenerys (Queen now) is the primary protagonists and the extra materials are about the Targaryens. This is really the story of the Targaryens.

The war would have gone better because Eddard would have kept his word to Lord Walder Frey.  The deal would have been the same, marriage arragements and fostering.  The deal was very reasonable and even Eddard would have to agree. If Robb still breaks the sworn engagement and Eddard should be willing to accept whatever punishment the Freys care to require.  All that being said, the war would be lost when the Lannisters and the Tyrells join their forces.  Better doesn't mean the rebels win.  It just means the Lannisters will have to get the Tyrells on their side.

On 12/27/2019 at 3:22 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

King Viserys III was already dead by the middle of the war. I would have stopped reading if Princess Daenerys had been killed. The story would be a hell of a lot less interesting.  I don't enjoy reading about the Starks and their escapades. Thankfully, Princess Daenerys (Queen now) is the primary protagonists and the extra materials are about the Targaryens. This is really the story of the Targaryens.

The war would have gone better because Eddard would have kept his word to Lord Walder Frey.  The deal would have been the same, marriage arragements and fostering.  The deal was very reasonable and even Eddard would have to agree. If Robb still breaks the sworn engagement and Eddard should be willing to accept whatever punishment the Freys care to require.  All that being said, the war would be lost when the Lannisters and the Tyrells join their forces.  Better doesn't mean the rebels win.  It just means the Lannisters will have to get the Tyrells on their side.

The story is entirely different if Eddard is alive. Walder Frey isnt needed in that instant. Ned also can use Arya and Sansa as bargaining chips as he pleases.  Ned also wouldnt have allowed Theon to be his envoy to Balon.  The Iron Islands never invades the North. 

If Ned had left right after Robert dismissed him, then the War of the 5 Kings does not take place.  Ned does not warn Cersie he knows of the incest, Robert isn't killed, and Ned isn't imprisoned.

If Ned isn't imprisoned, then Rob doesn't call the banners, etc...

The Mountain's attack on the Riverlands is dealt with by Robert, not Ned.

Ned would never have accepted a crown and would have supported Stannis instead. So no king in the North. Without his public "confession" Ned would still be a man people respected, so if he supported Stannis I think he might have had significantly more support. 

With Ned alive I think its unlikely that Balon launches his war either, nor would Theon be send back to the Iron Islands.

So at most it would be the War of Three Kings. 

2 hours ago, TheHodorThatWasPromised said:

Ned would never have accepted a crown and would have supported Stannis instead. So no king in the North. Without his public "confession" Ned would still be a man people respected, so if he supported Stannis I think he might have had significantly more support. 

With Ned alive I think its unlikely that Balon launches his war either, nor would Theon be send back to the Iron Islands.

Ned has chosen family before. Perhaps he catches wins of Stannis burning folks and it causes massive uproar within the ranks.

On 12/27/2019 at 9:49 AM, frenin said:

I don't think you and  op are talking about the same.

Why would Ned challenge the succession? He's definitely not going to get to RR in time and Brynden wouldn't be coming with Catelyn because Tyrion would be safe and sound coming down the Kingsroad.

Honestly I'm not even sure Tywin moves his entire army east if Ned doesn't send someone to round up Gregor's men.

31 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Why would Ned challenge the succession? He's definitely not going to get to RR in time and Brynden wouldn't be coming with Catelyn because Tyrion would be safe and sound coming down the Kingsroad.

Honestly I'm not even sure Tywin moves his entire army east if Ned doesn't send someone to round up Gregor's men.

Tyrion kidnapping is an unrelated event, Cat was going to kidnapp Tyrion because she just didn't know about Robert and  Ned falling out and  she thinks she has to do it.

So Tyrion is kidnapping and  without Ned in KL to do damage control, things can go heated pretty fast. Tywin had already sent Gregor to do some shit either.

Ned actually has the potential tp involve the Eyrie too.

10 hours ago, TheHodorThatWasPromised said:

I largely agree....and would like to add that with Ned and Cat alive and safely back North, perhaps Lysa and Petyr come into the equation earlier, as Petyr could view Stannis backed by the North as a good horse to bet on so to speak 

On 12/27/2019 at 1:10 AM, Mrstrategy said:

What would the war of five kings be like if Ned was in command of North and Riverland  instead of Robb?(POD: Ned actually quit and immediately left kings after Robert orders  Targaryen   kids killed  and as such avoids Jaime fight and getting wounded)

In the scenario you have listed there is less likely of Northern involvement in the war, if there is an actual war at all. Ned does now know about the incest at that point, him leaving early means Cersei's hand is not forced and Robert survives for a few more years till Joffrey comes of age.

16 hours ago, nyser1 said:

Ned has chosen family before. Perhaps he catches wins of Stannis burning folks and it causes massive uproar within the ranks.

I suppose thats possible, but it still doesn't change that in this scenario there would be no King in the North. 

There would almost certainly be some kind of war, but it wouldn't be the War of five Kings, which was the point I tried to make.

7 hours ago, TheHodorThatWasPromised said:

I suppose thats possible, but it still doesn't change that in this scenario there would be no King in the North. 

There would almost certainly be some kind of war, but it wouldn't be the War of five Kings, which was the point I tried to make.

Would he brood in the North and not get involved? Or sit at Moat Cailin? Perhaps save Riverrun still? However, a large army cannot stay idle for long.

9 hours ago, TheHodorThatWasPromised said:

With Robert alive I doubt there would be war, just posturing.

Archived