Football: half-way point

Iskaral Pust

Remains to be seen.

The Austrian League is really not that competitive. There's one good team, which is Mateschitz Bull Bladder Soda Salzburg. Otherwise the level is really meh, so it's now at least two steps up for Minamino in terms of physicality, speed and overall level of the competition.

It's absolutely possible that he will turn out to be a good addition to the Liverpool squad, however I wouldn't speak of it as if it were a certainty.

33 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

A good first half. Everyone has done really well, except for Firmino who's playing like he's been cast alongside his own nanna in a body-swap comedy.

Hopefully he's taken off at half time.

Nailed on to score then.

26 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

what a miss from Bobby!

And then McBurnie repaid the favor. 

I think we could have made those subs earlier.  Tired legs are more prone to injury. 

Assuming we play the kids against Everton in the cup, the volume of games will slow now for the rest of January.  Hopefully that allows some rest and recovery. 

Then CL resumes in February and the schedule looks heavy again.  But hopefully Fabinho and Matip will be back by then.  Perhaps Ox too. 

Edit: it has to be acknowledged that we were comfortably in control throughout against a very difficult side who were in the top six until recently.  We needed a big GK error from Henderson to beat them away just a few months ago. 

This is getting grim.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

There's not much else to our gameplan beyond trying to play in the quick boys up front as they try to run in behind. When that fails, we are clueless 95% of the time.

I mean it's not been some kind of revolution and is still not good enough but we've gotten much better at overall controlling the game when the opponent cede us possession than the truly hapless display  and at forcing mistakes with the high press - we've more consistently got wins in the last 2 months than in the first 10-15 or so games of the season and I don't think that's a coincidence. As bad as both teams did look we wouldn't have beaten Burnley or put 4 past Newcastle back in September/October.

While I absolutely want Liverpool to win (unless leicester can pull if the improbably dream twice), it would be just about the funniest thing ever if they blew it from this position (and also render Newcastle's capitulation irrelevant).

38 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

While I absolutely want Liverpool to win (unless leicester can pull if the improbably dream twice), it would be just about the funniest thing ever if they blew it from this position (and also render Newcastle's capitulation irrelevant).

We’ve seen that joke too many times before for it to be funny again.  We don’t want another Macheda out of nowhere. Or Kompany smashing a long range winner with his first shot on target from distance in 30+ attempts, or Stones saving an equalizer by millimeters — I still think last season’s title should have been ours.  But this is the first time we haven’t let a title miss destroy us the following season.  

I know I’ve posted before about Liverpool’s injuries but Matip, Lovren, Clyne, Fabinho, Ox, Keita and Shaqiri is almost a full outfield. Add Origi, Curtis Jones and Neco Williams at LB, plus Adrian in goal, and we’d have a strong second team available to face Everton in the cup.  And that’s even without Brewster, Hoever or Elliott starting. 

As it is, we’re down to just 12 healthy senior outfield players who all need a rest after so many games lately. 

It’s a bit galling that we have to effectively forfeit the FA Cup after already being forced to forfeit the LC.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

it would be just about the funniest thing ever if they blew it from this position (and also render Newcastle's capitulation irrelevant).

It would definitely make the top three funniest Premier League happenings ever, alongside Steven Gerrard falling over and Steven Gerrard getting sent off in 34 seconds in his last ever game against United at Old Trafford.

Archived