Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Iskaral Pust

Football: half-way point

Recommended Posts

That Arsenal game was painful. Happy to hear Arteta yelled at them at half time and showed some passion. Leeds were completely ineffective in the 2nd half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mexal said:

That Arsenal game was painful. Happy to hear Arteta yelled at them at half time and showed some passion. Leeds were completely ineffective in the 2nd half.

Leeds do have a bit of tendency to fall off as games go on anyway with the intensity of the way Bielsa has them playing. They really needed to score while they were on top. Having said that Arsenal were better in the second half and there was clearly a tactical change from Arteta in how much more Arsenal were pressing Leeds as they tried to play out from the back.

Leeds aren't a bad side though. They're a bit like early Klopp era Liverpool in that they're a more dangerous side than the sum of their parts would suggest. It wasn't a great first half from Arsenal but I don't think it's a disaster either with Arteta showing the capacity to impact the direction of the game with some halftime changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm liking Arteta. There will definitely be some growing pains to get the side to play with a consistent vision, especially with the injuries (Sokratis playing RB is not ideal) and a very real need to turn over the squad in the summer, but in terms of seeing some immediate improvement in style, can't complain. Also, seems like he's being proven right in areas and that will help drive his credibility with the players (from what I read, he yelled at the team at half time because they weren't doing anything they were supposed to and Leeds was playing exactly as he said they would).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

What a fall from grace for Piatek. He went from bossing it last season to utter wank this season. Looks like a one season wonder type like Belotti. Reports are that AC Milan are already looking to offload him.

Ceballos was a six game wonder earlier this season.  Piatek looks like an enduring rock of quality compared to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems United's plan is to leave Williams completely exposed so City attack down his side. Not sure how well that's going to work out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem United have is that it doesn't seem many decent players are available this window. Midfield-wise, maybe the likes of Can or Rabiot could be brought in, but even then they'd be looking at big wages for possibly short term solutions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I missed the first half but United are actually seeing more of the ball than I would have predicted 0-3 down to City.

ETA: I think Can would be a decent enough signing for United (depending on the fee involved). I’m not sure why everyone seems so down on the idea other than that he used to play for Liverpool.

Edited by ljkeane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I missed the first half but United are actually seeing more of the ball than I would have predicted 0-3 down to City.

City stopped trying after half time. United were lucky Sterling was pants too - he should have had at least one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we scored one, so, so long for Woodward triggering our transfer window I guess.

As hard as I want us to sign midfielders, I'm actually not bought on Can at all. Apart from him, I suppose we could target many players from up-mid to low-mid table... heck, I'd even take Longstaff or Rice, (both of them if we can) despite that being terrible buisness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just kill me if we sign Longstaff or Rice. Looking to sign English players (and not even any of the good ones) is a waste of money. These players would be grossly overpriced and there are literally dozens of Longstaff and Rice level players across Europe who wouldn't cost anywhere near as much. Anyway, this was an expected result. We were never going to beat City over two legs. I only wish we had sent out the kids earlier in the competition and got knocked out. 

I'm highly skeptical of us doing any business in the window. January is generally a difficult time to do business especially to bring in players who can actually improve the quality of the squad rather than just make up the numbers. Can is a maybe since Juve are overloaded in midfield and he's not a starter there anyway. Rabiot is highly unlikely since Sarri has started to play him more. There have been rumblings that Barca might be willing to part with Vidal this window although Inter are probably favorites there. 

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil Jones got a new contract extension less than a year ago.  For four more years, and a valuable option on a fifth year.  Still funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

United do love to reward mediocrity. We've got so many players phoning it in on contracts they could never hope to get anywhere else. We're also paying a league one level manager at least 10x what he's actually worth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Longstaff struggles to get games for Newcastle - surely you'd be better off using your own kids-who-aren't-good-enough-yet rather than spunking £50m on someone else's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be the logical thing to do but then again we have clowns running the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VAR has been fantastic.  It has established three things beyond question:

  1. That even with several minutes to make a decision, and multiple replays, that referees indeed are rubbish at making decisions.  The number of times that VAR has made incorrect overturns, or failed to overturn, and it is clear to everyone what the right decision should have been should establish beyond all doubt that the umpiring profession is full of idiots.
  2. On close off-sides, that pundits and fans don't actually care about correct results, or consistent results, as long as it leads to more goals (or their team winning for fans).
  3. That the English can't implement anything without ballsing it up.  Just because a system has been running elsewhere reasonably well, won't stop the English putting in some of their own rules that will make things worse (not going to the monitor, high bar to overturn).  
17 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Anthony Taylor has been utterly broken by VAR. He just leaves everything these days, scared to make a decision. He's horribly fucked up in the last three games I've seen him referee.

VAR corrected him TWICE in one game the other week!

Was that the West Ham match?  In which case he was totally right on the red card.  It should not have been overturned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know more detail about the malaga coach being suspended? It sounds like he is a victim and it seems an utterly shitty thing to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ants said:

VAR has been fantastic.  It has established three things beyond question:

  1. That even with several minutes to make a decision, and multiple replays, that referees indeed are rubbish at making decisions.  The number of times that VAR has made incorrect overturns, or failed to overturn, and it is clear to everyone what the right decision should have been should establish beyond all doubt that the umpiring profession is full of idiots.
  2. On close off-sides, that pundits and fans don't actually care about correct results, or consistent results, as long as it leads to more goals (or their team winning for fans).
  3. That the English can't implement anything without ballsing it up.  Just because a system has been running elsewhere reasonably well, won't stop the English putting in some of their own rules that will make things worse (not going to the monitor, high bar to overturn).  

Was that the West Ham match?  In which case he was totally right on the red card.  It should not have been overturned.  

Nah, Spurs-Chelsea.

Disagree about offsides - if they need more than a minute to make a decision, it's close enough to give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. People seem to have lost sight of why the rule was introduced in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Nah, Spurs-Chelsea.

Disagree about offsides - if they need more than a minute to make a decision, it's close enough to give the attacker the benefit of the doubt. People seem to have lost sight of why the rule was introduced in the first place.

To get the right decision?

Offside should be a consistent, bias free approach to calculation. As soon as you introduce elements of subjectivity you’ll get inconsistencies, as the umpires have shown they can’t give good results anywhere else. So stay with the process and if you’re offside, you’re offside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ants said:

To get the right decision?

Offside should be a consistent, bias free approach to calculation. As soon as you introduce elements of subjectivity you’ll get inconsistencies, as the umpires have shown they can’t give good results anywhere else. So stay with the process and if you’re offside, you’re offside. 

To stop people goal-hanging. In tight situations attackers always received the benefit of the doubt.

And they're not necessarily coming to the right decision anyway- due to the cameras being used, the margin of error is such that borderline VAR offsides are a complete farce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...