US Politics: Nancy's Knock on the Senate Door

Tywin Manderly

Warren takes shot at Biden with new bankruptcy plan
Warren and Biden have long been at odds over bankruptcy.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/07/warren-takes-shot-at-biden-with-new-bankruptcy-plan-095493

Warren and Biden have long been at odds over bankruptcy. As a U.S. senator from Delaware, Biden was one of the marquee Democrats to support the 2005 Republican legislation meant to crack down on soaring bankruptcy rates.

Warren, then a Harvard law professor who made her name in bankruptcy law, had lobbied against the bill for years, arguing that lenders were at fault and borrowers shouldn’t be punished.

“I lost that fight in 2005, and working families paid the price,” Warren wrote Tuesday.

22 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The question is, how will Mitch McConnell structure his ‘no’?

Sickening devil’s advocate thought: What if there was another quid pro quo? If Bolton actually wanted to nuke Trump, he could have just testified in the House. Maybe the assassination was to placate him in exchange for a more faltering testimony. He doesn’t have to exonerate Trump, just provide enough cover for the likely shame trial we’re about to see.

Probably unlikely, but not outside the realm of possibility.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

No.  CIA didn't even formally acknowledge their role until declassified papers in 2013.  So based on geometric progression, Iran can expect an apology in...a very long time from now.

Somehow that’s even less shocking than I remembered, but then again it took us 60 years to apologize for intentionally infecting mentally ill Guatemalans with syphilis because YOLO.  

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sickening devil’s advocate thought: What if there was another quid pro quo? If Bolton actually wanted to nuke Trump, he could have just testified in the House. Maybe the assassination was to placate him in exchange for a more faltering testimony. He doesn’t have to exonerate Trump, just provide enough cover for the likely shame trial we’re about to see.

I would say this is not unlikely at all, well, there may not be an actual quid pro quo, that may be a stretch, but I imagine whatever beef Bolton had with Trump could put aside for the sexual thrill he must be feeling over the prospect of a war with Iran finally looking like a reality. He was resistant to talking to the Democrat lead House, and he contacted The Turtle before announcing that he was open to testifying before the Republican Senate. I don’t think Bolton has any intention of telling the truth no matter what the cost, honesty has never been his strong suit, and his warboner may make him want to get impeachment out of the way quickly.

57 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I would say this is not unlikely at all, well, there may not be an actual quid pro quo, that may be a stretch, but I imagine whatever beef Bolton had with Trump could put aside for the sexual thrill he must be feeling over the prospect of a war with Iran finally looking like a reality. He was resistant to talking to the Democrat lead House, and he contacted The Turtle before announcing that he was open to testifying before the Republican Senate. I don’t think Bolton has any intention of telling the truth no matter what the cost, honesty has never been his strong suit, and his warboner may make him want to get impeachment out of the way quickly.

There are a lot of hypotheticals that could get us from A to Z, but I don’t think it’s too far out of left field to tie the two events to one another.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It doesn't sound unlikely to me. It aligns both of these men with their true character in a believable way. "Ulterior" could describe either one of the two's middle name.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

US Senate question:  

So reportedly Pompeo has informed The Turtle that he will not run for the Kansas seat that Roberts is retiring from and Kobach may be the GOP nominee like he was when he lost the governorship in 2018 (maybe the most satisfying result of the 2018 election).  

Do the Dems have a prayer of stealing a Senate seat in Kansas?  

It may still be unlikely, but there certainly is a "prayer". The Democratic governor, Laura Kelly, seems to be getting good approval ratings and many voters there are still upset by the Brownback administration's policies. Trump's approval is just about 50/50, not necessarily good for a supposedly "red" state. 

https://www.cjonline.com/news/20191206/gov-laura-kellys-approval-rating-in-kansas-tops-president-donald-trumps

Bolton is a piece of shit but he's just covering his ass.  Same as he did by making sure Fiona Hill went up the chain of command with the Sondland "drug deal".  He's not dumb enough to make a strike Iran for bunk testimony deal, especially since he knows how inept Trump and co are and the possibility of that coming back to bite him in the ass.  He's thinking about his legacy - he doesn't want to go down as the partisan hack he is so this gives some cover for trying to do the right thing, and the safety of doing it under McConnell's blanket of bullshit.

4 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Bolton is a piece of shit but he's just covering his ass.  Same as he did by making sure Fiona Hill went up the chain of command with the Sondland "drug deal".  He's not dumb enough to make a strike Iran for bunk testimony deal, especially since he knows how inept Trump and co are and the possibility of that coming back to bite him in the ass.  He's thinking about his legacy - he doesn't want to go down as the partisan hack he is so this gives some cover for trying to do the right thing, and the safety of doing it under McConnell's blanket of bullshit.

I mean this is probably right in the end. I just figured I’d float the idea because the sequence of events seemed suspicious.

Anyways, Moscow Mitch is telling people he has the votes to set the rules, so all of this is mute. It’s going to be a two week shame trial.

McConnell really will go down as one of the worst and most cynical senators ever.

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

It’s so good that thee guy on record complaining about the waste of the US nuclear arsenal by non-usage is the guy who will have to tell whoever today’s MacArthur that no, you cannot nuke that target.

That's the new wildcard here to me. We can beat Iran with conventional means, but the public won't support a proper strategic deployment of low-risk assets. Eventually when cities are being removed from the map and we are under no threat ourselves, even THE OTHERS suddenly seem pitiable. 

So if we try a ground invasion then Iran can do some damage. I struggle to see anything north of 40,000 U.S. dead at the absolute absolute worst case scenario. But it's not out of the question that Iran could score 5 or 10 thousand in the first few weeks and get that orange idiot so scared of losing support that he nukes Tehran. 

What a time to be alive.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

We're gonna bomb, bomb, bomb Iran!

How dare they attack U.S. assets in a third party country! Why, that's practically starting a war! 

Don't you see, Libtards? The Irani's are coming for your guns.

Archived