US Politics: Nancy's Knock on the Senate Door

Tywin Manderly

Talking Points Memo citing a WSJ article on Trump's motivation for the Soleimani hit:

Mr. Trump, after the strike, told associates he was under pressure to deal with Gen. Soleimani from GOP senators he views as important supporters in his coming impeachment trial in the Senate, associates said.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/lets-hear-more-about-this

Commit a war crime to shore up support in the trial to decide if you're unfit for office. Yep.

Or, he could be lying about his own motivation, so he could just be blaming his own unfit actions on people whose support he's courting.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/politics/russian-warship-us-aircraft-carrier-video/index.html

Ruh-roh.

Step on my neck, Daddy?

ETA: So it's pure conjecture. But what better time for an effort from a bunch of nations in Asia to try and break the U.S. stranglehold on superpower status? Russia and China have a lot more in common with each other than with us, and when will the nation's image ever be lower? The time to do something is now. A proxy war through Iran to cripple the American spirit even more isn't the worst idea I can think of for Russia or China.

It's actually kind of perfect in a way. Ostensibly the Casus Belli is nuclear containment, so as long as the fighting stays regional then there's no reason for anything other than conventional weapons. And if Trump did nuke Iran...

Fun times.

EVERY Trump voter should have their noses smeared right in this steaming pile of conclusion that points out the hypocrisy they are a part of when they chant their "Lock her up!" bs.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/politics/hillary-clinton-donald-trump-justice-department/index.html

From the article-

That wasn't true then. And now an investigation authorized by then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions to look into potential wrongdoing by Clinton has turned up a total of zero wrongdoing of any sort by either Hillary or Bill Clinton -- or anyone associated with the Clinton Foundation.

Now, contrast that with another multi-year probe originating in the Justice Department: Special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election. That inquiry led to 199 criminal counts against 37 people and entities. Seven people pleaded guilty; six were sentenced to prison. And Mueller concluded that not only had Russia engaged in a deep and broad effort to influence the election to help Trump and hurt Clinton but also that Trump himself had engaged in a series of behaviors during the investigation that could have been construed as obstructive.obstructive.

It's a literal stunning contrast and Hillary was 100% factually correct in noting that Donalds supporters are a collective basket of deplorables.

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

In a small bit of happy news it looks like Kansas just did the Obamacare Mediciad expansion for about 150,000 people which would never have happened under Kobach.  Not bad.  Would be amazing if this moved a few of these folks to vote for the Dem in the Senate race too.  

That is good news. I am originally from Kansas, and a lot of family still is there. They've been particularly beaten down by the reality that trickle down economics has destroyed them. Even then, I wonder if there will be any realistic shift there. Kansas has for a long time been uniquely identified as a state with a population that consistently votes against its own interests. I remember my dad reading this book when I was a kid.

23 hours ago, DMC said:

Um, sure.  The comparison was about character traits, not their fates (hey I rhymed!).  Not sure I can think of an appropriate Michael (or Vito, for that matter.  Or Tom Hagen.  Or Clemenza or Genco).  It was an off the cuff analogy I did not expect would receive such detailed scrutiny.

So you made an off the cuff analogy to the godfather without Vito or Michael, and thought you'd get away with it, like you are the bloody President of the USA? Dude, this forum has proper scrutiny mechanisms.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's a literal stunning contrast and Hillary was 100% factually correct in noting that Donalds supporters are a collective basket of deplorables.

I am reminded of something one of my best friends said back in the day.

“I can forgive someone who has a Bush ’00 bumper sticker on their car. I cannot forgive someone who has a Bush 04’ sticker.”

Looks like even some nominal Republican senators are distressed at the thought of being jurors in an impeachment trial without witnesses.  Could make things interesting,

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sen-susan-collins-working-with-small-group-of-republicans-to-ensure-witnesses-at-trumps-trial/ar-BBYPWKg?ocid=msnclassic

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said Friday that she's been working with "a fairly small group" of Republican senators to make sure witnesses can be called in President Donald Trump's impending Senate impeachment trial.

"We should be completely open to calling witnesses," Collins told reporters in Bangor, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. She declined to say who or how many GOP lawmakers she's been working with, but said "I am hopeful that we can reach an agreement on how to proceed with the trial that will allow the opportunity for both the House and the president's counsel if they choose to do so."

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am reminded of something one of my best friends said back in the day.

“I can forgive someone who has a Bush ’00 bumper sticker on their car. I cannot forgive someone who has a Bush 04’ sticker.”

The fact that it is possible to have bumper stickers from that time period on a car is why I never use bumper stickers.

39 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The fact that it is possible to have bumper stickers from that time period on a car is why I never use bumper stickers.

I have worked on every Congressional campaign cycle from 2006 to 2014, first as a volunteer, then intern, then staff, have handed out thousands up thousands of those things and never once ever considered putting one on  my own car. You’re just asking for some jerk to key your car.

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Is it true that amidst all the assassination/bombings etc. the Turtle got the Senate to agree to not hear any witnesses? 

I guess, but he always had the votes for that anyway, he's just been putting pressure on Pelosi this week to send the articles.  That's how it was always gonna play out, definitely independent of the Iran shit.

7 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Or, he could be lying about his own motivation, so he could just be blaming his own unfit actions on people whose support he's courting.

He may well have less conscious awareness of what his own motives are than most adults, because of his extreme narcissism. 

16 minutes ago, Ormond said:

He may well have less conscious awareness of what his own motives are than most adults, because of his extreme narcissism. 

So I'm aware of some of the key differences between everyday narcissism and NPD, but how would it impact these types of situations? Would the need to surround yourself with yes-men cause you to lose awareness of what's actually concurring?

Also, I would it's more to do with cognitive decline than anything else. I see a very different person when I watch videos of him from 20 and 30 years ago. I never came across as anything more than average, but he was at least comprehensible. That guy is unrecognizable from the Trump of today who just repeats the most ridiculous claims over and over etc.

20 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

he's done this already, going after the Drunk Vote

Is this really representing the drunk vote, or rather the dentures vote?  The latter sounds much more reliable, if equally difficult to discern.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Oh come on some things never get old - Alice in Chains, Delroy Wilson, the Who.  Just avoid war criminals and you're all good!

I dislike bumper stickers on my car for the same reason I don’t have any tattoos.  They don’t come off easily.

Archived