US Politics: Nancy's Knock on the Senate Door

Tywin Manderly

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, Trump doesn’t drink, right?

According to him yeah.  It's obviously ludicrous to take anything he says at his word, but this one I do believe, generally.

Ya let's support and grow business!

The insane crooks in D.C., not content with banning all commercial flights to Cuba except for the Havana airport, have now done the same for charter flights -- used particularly by church groups, agricultural groups, etc.

So many businesses, here and there, just throat cut by this.

And of course, Puerto Rico ... say what? what is Puerto Rico ....

23 hours ago, mcbigski said:

[Operations in Syria under 0bama: DEAFENING FUCKING SILENCE.]

Your trolling polemic doesn't warrant a response, nobody serious has ever been legitimately concerned about a draft since nam.  What a pathetic little way to whine and cry like a PC baby.  But, for your own edification, there were MCs that called for a draft during Obama and Syria.  They were the same people that have been calling for it for decades.  The Congressional Black Caucus.  I know, buncha liberal pussies.

14 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Holy smokes!

I did not know that Bernie Sanders and Larry David are actually cousins, which shocked the hell out of them both when PBS program Finding Your Roots did research into them.

SNL speaks the truth!

From Googling I can't find any indication that Finding Your Roots actually discovered the precise ancestral links between these two men. It isn't a surprise that two people who are both 97% of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry with ancestors who lived in Poland share some genes. 

Mathematically, everyone who has ancestry from Western Europe north of the Pyrenees and Alps is descended from everyone who was alive in that area  in the year 1000 who has descendants. So everyone with any ancestry from northwestern Europe are at least 34th cousins. :)

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

From Googling I can't find any indication that Finding Your Roots actually discovered the precise ancestral links between these two men. It isn't a surprise that two people who are both 97% of Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry with ancestors who lived in Poland share some genes. 

Mathematically, everyone who has ancestry from Western Europe north of the Pyrenees and Alps is descended from everyone who was alive in that area  in the year 1000 who has descendants. So everyone with any ancestry from northwestern Europe are at least 34th cousins. :)

I did not watch the program, I watched a CNN story about it and it showed Bernie and Larry being showed that there was a distant relationship. David says ‘2nd or 3rd cousins’ which isn’t that distant. 

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I did not watch the program, I watched a CNN story about it and it showed Bernie and Larry being showed that there was a distant relationship. David says ‘2nd or 3rd cousins’ which isn’t that distant. 

Guess I'd have to hear them say that on the show to be sure David remembers that correctly. I don't think most people even know what "third cousin" means (it means you share one set of great-great-grandparents.)

4 minutes ago, Triskele said:

If you're trying to eventually win the Presidency as a Dem you must have a good turnout with this voter pool.

Yeah, this was my point. If the turnout among black voters is low again, it's four more years of Donnie Dipshit, as he will get the depl... his base out.

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

Guess I'd have to hear them say that on the show to be sure David remembers that correctly. I don't think most people even know what "third cousin" means (it means you share one set of great-great-grandparents.)

You know I really had to go and find the answer after this discussion and David was totally misleading. The full episode, from 2017, is on You Tube and it’s actually quite fascinating. They traced back both of their families 5 generations. No connections before they lost the thread. Then they did a DNA test and there is a strong DNA connection showing a common ancestor. But I thought they had actually found a common great-great whatever ancestor.

On Larry David’s father’s side (‘no wonder he never talked about them’) David discovered his great-grandfather was a member of the Jewish community of Mobile, Alabama, who owned slaves and fought as a soldier on the Confederate side. Now that shocked the heck out of him!

51 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

20% is not really great tho, is it?

Well, it encompasses the younger portion of the black vote.  And we've been hearing the "well why should we count on a group of voters who turn out unreliably?".  Maybe they just haven't had a candidate they can get behind.  

Also, according to this poll Sanders has a lead over Biden among people if color.  

Notably, though, Sanders is the candidate who narrowly leads with nonwhite voters, 29% to 26%, over Biden. This might be because of Sanders' strength with younger voters of color and Latinos. But the margins of error with these subgroups are too high to draw any definitive conclusions.

Sanders also leads with younger voters under 45 (37%), progressives (29%), people who live in big cities (28%), voters in the Northeast (27%) and men (27%). Warren is second with progressives (23%).

On 1/7/2020 at 11:37 PM, The Last Storm said:

Hopefully nothing else happens, because, and I don’t enjoy saying this, a response by the US military won’t involve our missles not detonating.

I had to go back and find this rather arrogant response. A CNN reporter was allowed onto the base today to look at the damage caused by the missiles and the living quarters of the US troops were totally bombed out. The Iranians had accurate location information and hit them with precision. That was meant as a message to the US military. The Iranians, of course, warned the Iraq government that an attack was coming and they in turn warned the US military, and troops were evacuated to their bunkers. Without the warnings there would have been a lot of dead Americans.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I had to go back and find this rather arrogant response. A CNN reporter was allowed onto the base today to look at the damage caused by the missiles and the living quarters of the US troops were totally bombed out. The Iranians had accurate location information and hit them with precision. That was meant as a message to the US military. The Iranians, of course, warned the Iraq government that an attack was coming and they in turn warned the US military, and troops were evacuated to their bunkers. Without the warnings there would have been a lot of dead Americans.

Thank you for taking on the stupidity in the quote you responded to. DD, however, will ignore the message in favor of politics and will assume his gamble worked.

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Grateful for the warning. Kind of defeats the purpose though. Like I said it’s good nobody was killed in their response. Would have been nice if the Ukrainian airliner was given a warning as well.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Latest poll of Dem candidate popularity with black voters had Biden at 48%, Bernie at 20%, Warren at 9%, and Pete at 2%.  I didn't realize that Bernie's lead over Warren would be that much.  Maybe I'm just remembering a narrative of "Bernie struggles with black voters" from 2016 and not the corollary of "no, only older black voters."  

This kind of perplexes me, and maybe its just because i’m not from the U.S and am missing some vital context and/or details. What does Biden, or Bernie, offer black voters than Warren does not? I get personal preferences and all but i would have thought the gap would be much narrower if thats all it was. Is there some particular policy (or lack of policy) or something Warren has done to switch Black voters off from her? Or that Biden has done to win them? (I’m assuming, perhaps wrongly, its nothing as simple as Biden being Obama’s VP)

15 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Thank you for taking on the stupidity in the quote you responded to. DD, however, will ignore the message in favor of politics and will assume his gamble worked.

As a US veteran who comes from a family of service members I don’t think it’s stupid to be happy that we don’t have to respond. If lives were lost I’m not sure if that would be the case.

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

This kind of perplexes me, and maybe its just because i’m not from the U.S and am missing some vital context and/or details. What does Biden, or Bernie, offer black voters than Warren does not? I get personal preferences and all but i would have thought the gap would be much narrower if thats all it was. Is there some particular policy (or lack of policy) or something Warren has done to switch Black voters off from her? Or that Biden has done to win them? (I’m assuming, perhaps wrongly, its nothing as simple as Biden being Obama’s VP)

Name recognition, and leftist stance.  Biden has the South and older voters, he was Obama's VP, and Sanders' campaign reached out to the youth vote, which is probabaly left of Sanders.  He's the least worst option, for the young left.  Warren's policies are fine but she's a northeastern Republican turned liberal.  I'm sure black voters would turn out in Hillary Clinton 2016 numbers or better for all three of them.  But Sanders and Biden are ahead because they offer either familiarity and reliability (Biden) or someone who is listening to concerns and offers a new path for the future (Sanders).

3 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

As a US veteran who comes from a family of service members I don’t think it’s stupid to be happy that we don’t have to respond. If lives were lost I’m not sure if that would be the case.

I think you missed the point. It's the dammed arrogance of saying 'there won't be undonated missiles'. Americans regularly have undetonated missiles. And as for the Ukrainian airline, you guys also have a long history of killing your own soldiers, your allies' soldiers, and thousands of innocent citizens. I don't care how many members of your family have been in the military, you guys kill a lot of people indiscriminately. 

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

I think you missed the point. It's the dammed arrogance of saying 'there won't be undonated missiles'. Americans regularly have undetonated missiles. And as for the Ukrainian airline, you guys also have a long history of killing your own soldiers, your allies' soldiers, and thousands of innocent citizens. I don't care how many members of your family have been in the military, you guys kill a lot of people indiscriminately. 

Indeed. There’s not a country in the world that has a top military that hasn’t made horrible mistakes that has resulted in innocents killed. As far as the Iranian airliner, I believe it was flying over an active war zone at the time is was tragically shot down. 

Archived