Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (among other things, wink wink) SPOILERS

Kalbear

I serious want some kinda movie/series on Palpatine. Ideally him cackling through the highlights of his memoirs in a disney+ animated show that shows bits of his version of events. 

Edit: and if he hangs dong, all the better. 

@Lord Varys

If you cannot deal with people expressing their opinions in a confident manner that's your issue. I don't see why I should express my views in a more timid manner. I'm not Aenys Targaryen, you know.

I honestly don't see your problem here. I don't tell people here that they are not entitled/shouldn't love those new movies. And I definitely don't insult anyone's tastes or character by telling everyone who does is a moron or anything. When I use stronger language I express my feelings towards the movies and, perhaps, the people who made them (who most likely don't read any of this), and that is perfectly fine.

Oh geez, get over yourself.  Your argumentation bothers me sometimes so I give you shit.  Obviously I don't have a major issue with it, otherwise I would have ignored you years ago.  And, btw, you do insult people's tastes, all the damn time.  You're routinely dismissive of other people's opinions.  But, soberly, I can't judge about that.  I do that with politics too.  Although at least I have some valid expertise in that regard.

Difficult, sure, impossible most definitely not.

Although I think changing Luke's pointless death in the TLJ because of that could have been a good idea to have an actually living actor of the Big Three in the last movie. All they would have needed to do for that was to change the scene where Luke disappears in the end and have him jump into his X-Wing instead.

I dunno, disagree that Luke being alive would have made the last one better in any way.  You don't want him alive, you want him as the Obi-Won force ghost.  If Luke is alive in the last one, then it's just compounding the ROTJ rehash.

George Lucas himself said that the Jedi were essentially a variation of the marshals of the Wild West. I don't see the marshals of the Wild West running the United States in the 19th century in a meaningful sense.

Um, the Marshals ran the Wild West, as much as it could be.  There's lots of movies about that.  Pretty sure that's what he was referring to.  Anyway, this isn't how he structured the PT.  The Jedi weren't controlling the "Wild West."  They were right there in the center of the Galactic Senate and however it implemented policy.  And clearly had significant influence up to the point Sheev killed Windu. 

They were not a military force, didn't have any troops aside from the members of the order, no capital ships or fleets.

They were clearly the most powerful force up until Order 66.  The Senate unquestionably relied upon them until then, that's quite obvious in the PT.

My point simply was that Palpatine's story is significantly different from the rise of fascist regimes in the real world.

I understand.  Your point is wrong and stupid.  Palpatine's rise is directly supposed to mimic Hitler's.  Why do you think he's Chancellor Palpatine?  You know how odd that is to refer to the head legislator, or even head of government?  I'm not a comparativist, but not many heads of government are called chancellor.  But Hitler was, and rose to power through the legislature after killing his political enemies.  Hm.  Who would think there's parallels there?

This is really a ridiculous argument.  Lucas' ripping off of the Nazis in both the OT and the PT is not just blatantly obvious, it's incredibly cliche - it's a criticism.  That you're trying to claim it isn't there is, well, I don't know, defending Lucas from his own banal storytelling?

The transformation of the Republic to the Empire has little to nothing in common with German and Italian fascism insofar as the transformation is portrayed. In fact, the Palpatine approach could be very much seen how a tired and rotten federal republic - like the US are today, say - into a dictorship or a monarchy.

This is wrong, in every part.  The transformation has everything to do with how Hitler rose to power, and Mussolini as well.  And has nothing to do with what's going on with the US or the UK right now.  Trump nor Johnson aren't Palpatines.  It's rather absurd to think of them as such.  They're symptoms of a greater polarization.  This isn't Black Tuesday 1929.

The stormtroopers seem to me like general military (and they don't show up in the PT), not paramilitary forces like the SA.

Uh, after the night of the long knives, the stormtroopers were the SS, not the SA.  Please do not try and tell me the SS weren't significant just because they weren't the main military wing.

It would have been great if Lucas had given us Palpatine's Goebbels or his Himmler, but there are none such people around, unfortunately.

Tarkin could be equated with Himmler, or Goering I suppose.  Acting like Lucas didn't identify equivalent leadership for the Third Reich is just about the most ridiculously stupid and offensive thing ever.  He had Darth Vader, a dude literally immaculately conceived.  That trumps Goebbels, Himmler, Goering, Bormann, Hess, Speer all combined.

In the OT, yeah, there we have more fascist like imagery. But that's not necessarily the same as proper analogy or depiction of fascism, no?

Yes, that's exactly what it is.  When it acts like a duck, smells like a duck, and the creator of the duck tell you it's a duck, it's a duck.

What do they want? Why do they think democracy suck? We don't know that.

They want to destroy democracy because they're fascist.  They think democracy sucks because they're fascist.  We do know that.

Sure, he did kill the Jedi, but there is no talk in ROTS as such about Palpatine rounding up and shooting opposition politicians, targeting minority groups, abolishing civilian rights, etc.

Are you serious with this?  First off, the only opposition politician we're exposed to outside of Padme is Bail Organa, and yeah, he had to run for his life.  So, completely wrong there.  Targeting minority groups and abolishing "civil rights"?  First off, you're right, I'm not even sure if there are civil right in Lucas' universe, that seems too complex for him.  As for targeting minority groups, yes, there is a clear supremacist theme on behalf of the empire in the films, including the OT.

People like Hitler or Mussolini never paid lip service to democracy and republican values - they openly despised concepts like that.

Yes, they did.  Frequently.  This is a grave misunderstanding.

I don't mind so much how thoroughly wrong you are on all this.  I do mind it when you try to justify your hatred for a damn movie by grossly misrepresenting what fascism is.

@Rhom The Mandalorian recanonised "force healing" in the episode that was brought forward right before it came up in tRoS as well - I assumed that was the reason for it being moved up.

Fair point on the distinctions being...not well defined. I think its the RotS book by Stover that had the best attempt at actually defining a difference - in that the light side is hearing the will of the force and working with that to align reality with its will. The dark side is using the force to change reality to align with your will. In practice you can't always see the distinction in the actions of force users, as pushing someone away etc still seems to fall into "forcing things to change" territory, but force choking someone that was supposed to live pretty clearly falls into that split. In the novel it has Anakin using the dark side in a really subtle way to pull off landing the massive battleship that crashes onto Coruscant after they rescue Palpatine. OBW couldn't have pulled it off as he doesn't use the force that way.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Also @Jace, Basilissa, I feel like you and Damon should hang out (the thread is awesome)

Yeah, should have left her saber on Alderaan, man. :P

Realistically, if you're going to bury her lightsaber as a memorial, while Tatooine had no particular meaning to her, the place where the Skywalker family began (and where her "family" basically started coming together) seems like a reasonable enough place.  

I know this guy just wants to be funny, but I've seen enough people complain about it that it feels like they're missing the point. The same with Chewbacca getting "his medal" when the point is that it's not his, that the value of it has to do with who it came from and who it had belonged to.

Superficial readings lead to superficial critiques. But ho ho ho, as Jabba would say, I guess.

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Fair point on the distinctions being...not well defined. I think its the RotS book by Stover that had the best attempt at actually defining a difference - in that the light side is hearing the will of the force and working with that to align reality with its will. The dark side is using the force to change reality to align with your will.

When I think about it is that within the films, users of the Dark Side of the force are variously depicted as murderous, cruel, duplicitous, and full of rage; and some of the powers they use, such as Force lightning, are torturous and corruptive. Giving yourself into the Dark Side seems to mean giving yourself to the darkest emotions and desires and passions and not simply just being a passionate, creative person or whatever. Lucas talks about how the Force just is, that it isn't good or evil, but the Dark Side seems primarily accessible to people who are prepared and willing to do evil things. It's an oddity. I know the EU and stuff have tried to find ways to depict the conflict in the use of the Dark Side differently, but I'm not sure how successful they were.

49 minutes ago, Ran said:

Lucas talks about how the Force just is, that it isn't good or evil, but the Dark Side seems primarily accessible to people who are prepared and willing to do evil things. It's an oddity. I know the EU and stuff have tried to find ways to depict the conflict in the use of the Dark Side differently, but I'm not sure how successful they were.

that's incorrect, actually. Lukas has stated that anyone can access the Force, but those who use it without the discipline of a Jedi would easily succumb to mixing Force use with emotions, which is the path to the "Dark Side". Ergo, a Jedi must be emotionless to fight the seductive nature of wanton force use.  

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

that's incorrect, actually. Lucas has stated that anyone can access the Force, but those who use it without the discipline of a Jedi would easily succumb to mixing Force use with emotions, which is the path to the "Dark Side". Ergo, a Jedi must be emotionless to fight the seductive nature of wanton force use.  

But what are the actual Dark Side users? Palpatine and Vader. Vader force chokes and outright murders people who question him. His first act is lifting a Rebel soldier up by his throat and breaking his neck. How is Luke seduced to the Dark Side? Palpatine talks about letting the hate flow through him. Yoda speaks of anger, hate, and fear as the way to the Dark Side.

32 minutes ago, Ran said:

But what are the actual Dark Side users? Palpatine and Vader. Vader force chokes and outright murders people who question him. His first act is lifting a Rebel soldier up by his throat and breaking his neck. How is Luke seduced to the Dark Side? Palpatine talks about letting the hate flow through him. Yoda speaks of anger, hate, and fear as the way to the Dark Side.

Listen to the Binge Mode episode of the Rise of SKywalker. They get into this topic in some detail.

I'm trying to find the actual quotes online but failing. There were made, i believe, during the writing of ESB.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

@Lord Varys

Oh geez, get over yourself.  Your argumentation bothers me sometimes so I give you shit.  Obviously I don't have a major issue with it, otherwise I would have ignored you years ago.  And, btw, you do insult people's tastes, all the damn time.  You're routinely dismissive of other people's opinions.  But, soberly, I can't judge about that.  I do that with politics too.  Although at least I have some valid expertise in that regard.

An opinion isn't the same as taste. I never said anything anywhere indicating somebody cannot like a particular thing. That would be stupid.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I dunno, disagree that Luke being alive would have made the last one better in any way.  You don't want him alive, you want him as the Obi-Won force ghost.  If Luke is alive in the last one, then it's just compounding the ROTJ rehash.

If you have Palpatine alive there, having Luke alive there wouldn't have been that big of a problem, no? Suddenly Star Wars became the history of the Palpatines, never mind how they chose to call the last movies.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Um, the Marshals ran the Wild West, as much as it could be.  There's lots of movies about that.  Pretty sure that's what he was referring to.  Anyway, this isn't how he structured the PT.  The Jedi weren't controlling the "Wild West."  They were right there in the center of the Galactic Senate and however it implemented policy.  And clearly had significant influence up to the point Sheev killed Windu. 

LOL, but the Wild West wasn't the entire US, was it? The Galactic Republic was, and that simply wasn't run by the Jedi.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

They were clearly the most powerful force up until Order 66.  The Senate unquestionably relied upon them until then, that's quite obvious in the PT.

Sure, they relied on them - because they obeyed their commands. The Jedi are servants, not rulers. They don't even decide to go to war - that's the Senate and the Supreme Chancellor.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I understand.  Your point is wrong and stupid.  Palpatine's rise is directly supposed to mimic Hitler's.  Why do you think he's Chancellor Palpatine?  You know how odd that is to refer to the head legislator, or even head of government?  I'm not a comparativist, but not many heads of government are called chancellor.  But Hitler was, and rose to power through the legislature after killing his political enemies.  Hm.  Who would think there's parallels there?

I honestly assume the Galactic Senate got a chancellor at its head rather than a president because there is no separation of powers in the Galactic Republic. They do not have an independent executive branch run by a president and his ministers/secretaries but rather a huge legislative branch which also acts as executive branch - the Galactic Senate itself. Before Palpatine gets emergency powers the Supreme Chancellor can little to nothing do without a majority of the Senate authorizing whatever he wants to do.

But I certainly agree that chancellor is not all that often used as a name for the most powerful office in a government (although that's still the case in Germany and Austria ;-)).

6 hours ago, DMC said:

This is really a ridiculous argument.  Lucas' ripping off of the Nazis in both the OT and the PT is not just blatantly obvious, it's incredibly cliche - it's a criticism.  That you're trying to claim it isn't there is, well, I don't know, defending Lucas from his own banal storytelling?

I'd say that ripping of imagery and depicting men with British accents in dark uniforms isn't really all that great a call back to the Nazis.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

This is wrong, in every part.  The transformation has everything to do with how Hitler rose to power, and Mussolini as well.  And has nothing to do with what's going on with the US or the UK right now.  Trump nor Johnson aren't Palpatines.  It's rather absurd to think of them as such.  They're symptoms of a greater polarization.  This isn't Black Tuesday 1929.

The point being that both with fascist Italia and Germany we are not talking about countries having a thousand years (or thousand generations) of world-wide democratic tradition. The Republic of Weimar was a very new thing, and most Germans in the army and the bureaucracy weren't democrats - in that sense the two things aren't really comparable. Not to mention that Palpatine is completely lacking a fascist/right-wing political party. He comes in power with the consensus of all, even the Jedi do not object to him being granted emergency powers - which, if he had presented himself as a Hitler or Mussolini in 22 BBY, they most definitely would have done if they had cared about the democratic structure of the Republic.

Democracy dying in Germany was no breaking with century-old tradition - that would fit better with the US abandoning democracy, or the British torching the whole Westminster system in favor of something more authoritarian.

And I never said Johnson or Trump were Palpatine - but it is certainly not unlikely that 21st century is going to see the US version of Finis Valorum.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Uh, after the night of the long knives, the stormtroopers were the SS, not the SA.  Please do not try and tell me the SS weren't significant just because they weren't the main military wing.

The stormtroopers in Star Wars are regular military, not paramilitary. And, sure, in 1934 the SA was dealt with, and the SS was much more powerful afterwards than the SA had ever been (which is hardly surprising considering the latter established their formal power in the state after Hitler had already taken over).

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Tarkin could be equated with Himmler, or Goering I suppose.  Acting like Lucas didn't identify equivalent leadership for the Third Reich is just about the most ridiculously stupid and offensive thing ever.  He had Darth Vader, a dude literally immaculately conceived.  That trumps Goebbels, Himmler, Goering, Bormann, Hess, Speer all combined.

I meant that Palpatine doesn't have any kind of party establishment or leadership. He is not running a party or a movement which wants to ebolish democracy.

Hitler actually told everybody who wanted to hear it that he wanted to abolish democracy, get rid of other political parties and kill the Jews.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

They want to destroy democracy because they're fascist.  They think democracy sucks because they're fascist.  We do know that.

If that's enough for you - fine. I think the concepts there are somewhat more complex.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Are you serious with this?  First off, the only opposition politician we're exposed to outside of Padme is Bail Organa, and yeah, he had to run for his life.  So, completely wrong there.  Targeting minority groups and abolishing "civil rights"?  First off, you're right, I'm not even sure if there are civil right in Lucas' universe, that seems too complex for him.  As for targeting minority groups, yes, there is a clear supremacist theme on behalf of the empire in the films, including the OT.

After he witnessed what happened at the Jedi Temple - but in the end he remains part of the Imperial Senate, doesn't he? And Padmé is no opposition politician at all - at least not in the movies (there is something of that in TCW). She is Palpatine's friend. Even in the cut scenes from ROTS she doesn't really realize what Palpatine wants to do - she has to be convinced that he wants to rule forever and abolish democracy by other senators.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Yes, they did.  Frequently.  This is a grave misunderstanding.

Well, some of their speeches were less aggressive than others, I give you that, but Palpatine is only presented as the nice grandfather loving democracy. If you voted him in office, if you granted him emergency powers, if you supported him during the Clone Wars, even if you supported his eradication of the Jedi (based on the story that they tried to stage a coup which they actually did) then you are not necessarily a Nazi/fascist. But if you voted for Hitler/Mussolini you were because those people were more honest and transparent about what they were doing than Palpatine ever did - they were not Sith masterminds creating artificial wars...

6 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't mind so much how thoroughly wrong you are on all this.  I do mind it when you try to justify your hatred for a damn movie by grossly misrepresenting what fascism is.

Not sure what you mean by that - I actually like the PT movies.

Oh hey, George Lucas hates the sequels too - 

"George immediately got upset as they began to describe the plot and it dawned on him that we weren't using one of the stories he submitted during the negotiations," Iger wrote. "George knew we weren't contractually bound to anything, but he thought that our buying the story treatments was a tacit promise that we'd follow them, and he was disappointed that his story was being discarded. I'd been so careful since our first conversation not to mislead him in any way, and I didn't think I had now, but I could have handled it better."

Added Iger: "George felt betrayed, and while this whole process would never have been easy for him, we'd gotten off to an unnecessarily rocky start."

"We'd intentionally created a world that was visually and tonally connected to the earlier films, to not stray too far from what people loved and expected, and George was criticizing us for the very thing we were trying to do."

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-ceo-star-wars-creator-george-lucas-felt-betrayed-by-sequel-approach/

As I recall, that quote -- which I think I shared before when it first came out -- is specific to TFA, which is basically the only story they had plotted out at that point, and I certainly agreed that Abrams and co. went too slavish in their reprise of ANH.  I can see Lucas's problem with that.

That said, you know, Lucas once talked about how the ultimate journey would be into the "microbiotic world" of the Whills, who feed off the Force, and... yeah. Maybe he changed his mind, again, by the time he gave story treatments, and certainly what he revealed to Hamill seemed like it was better than what TLJ became. But he's the person I'd ask to sign off on the work of others, rather than the story creator, at this stage. 

I’m still baffled as to why those Star Destroyers didn’t just go into formation in orbit where they could use their shields, other than for the hopelessly outgunned band of Rebels (even after all the ships arrive) can win and ride space llamas on the outside of a ship.

Plus, Palpatine really,really should have learned his lesson, carrying on throwing force lightning at a lightsaber is a road to nowhere good, as he had been restored he should have engaged Rey in a lightsaber battle, he held his own against far better duellists than her or even her and Kylo together.

With Rey burying Luke and Leias lightsabers on Tattooine I don’t see the big deal with this at all, like someone else said a few posts ago it’s kind of the start of the Skywalker journey, I have no issue with it ending there.

5 hours ago, Relic said:

Remember when Star Wars used to bring people together?

Alternatively, as this article tries to depict, Star Wars has always engendered heavy debate.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

If you have Palpatine alive there, having Luke alive there wouldn't have been that big of a problem, no? Suddenly Star Wars became the history of the Palpatines, never mind how they chose to call the last movies.

Well, hard to argue that, I wouldn't have included the Palpatines either.  But even so, if you're gonna have Sheev as the final big bad, seems better to have someone else beat him than Luke there to either do so or explicitly help again.

LOL, but the Wild West wasn't the entire US, was it? The Galactic Republic was, and that simply wasn't run by the Jedi.

Sure but you're ignoring the context of the quote.  Lucas is saying he tried to interject some classically western themes and style into his depiction.  Which, considering his age, is entirely understandable considering westerns dominated early Hollywood.  And when it comes to westerns, the marshal and/or "lawman" always reigns supreme.

The Jedi are servants, not rulers. They don't even decide to go to war - that's the Senate and the Supreme Chancellor.

Yes they do.  The Senate can ask them to go to war, but it's clearly the decision of the Jedi Council on their actual moves.  As someone who measures this type of stuff for a living, the independence of the Jedi Council from their principal - in this case the Senate (luckily the Jedi do not endure a common agency problem) - is wholly extraordinary.  Right before Anakin slices Windu's arm off, the latter clearly believes the Jedi can weather the storm of assassinating the head of government.  That plainly indicates they're not just bureaucratic minions.  That's far far closer to a military coup.

I honestly assume the Galactic Senate got a chancellor at its head rather than a president because there is no separation of powers in the Galactic Republic. They do not have an independent executive branch run by a president and his ministers/secretaries but rather a huge legislative branch which also acts as executive branch - the Galactic Senate itself. Before Palpatine gets emergency powers the Supreme Chancellor can little to nothing do without a majority of the Senate authorizing whatever he wants to do.

Yes, seems clear that galaxy far far away went with a parliamentary system, and seems to be unicameral at that.

The point being that both with fascist Italia and Germany we are not talking about countries having a thousand years (or thousand generations) of world-wide democratic tradition.

That's fair to note, and an interesting point in conflict to how the Republic could possibly be toppled so easily when their institutions were so entrenched, but it doesn't change the fact the Empire was based off fascism and inarguably was Lucas' depiction of a fascist regime.  Just because he didn't get everything right doesn't change his intent, or how it was portrayed, or how that portrayal is obviously going to be interpreted by the viewer.

Not to mention that Palpatine is completely lacking a fascist/right-wing political party.

Again, I haven't read the EU, but in terms of the films this seems to pretty obviously be expedited.  No one wants a Star Wars that delves into party building.  It must be assumed Palpatine led a substantially large faction of some sort or another, otherwise there's no possible way he would have been granted those powers in the first place.

The stormtroopers in Star Wars are regular military, not paramilitary.

And somehow that distinction negates the fact Lucas borrowed the literal term for his namelessly dehumanized evil henchman that can't shoot straight directly from Nazi fascism?

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Hitler actually told everybody who wanted to hear it that he wanted to abolish democracy, get rid of other political parties and kill the Jews.

Hitler (and his regime) never was explicit about his true aims in public.  That's why the Wannsee Conference was conducted in private and the world didn't learn about it until Nuremberg.

If that's enough for you - fine. I think the concepts there are somewhat more complex.

They certainly are far more complex!  But it's a movie that's trying to appeal to a very broad audience, including an emphasis on getting kids entranced with a whole new world, so it's inherently going to be dumbed down.  Such complexity was briefly inserted into Rogue One, which is part of why I liked it so much.  They could do more with this, but TROS forcefully (sorry) suggests Disney isn't really interested in doing so.

but in the end he remains part of the Imperial Senate, doesn't he? And Padmé is no opposition politician at all - at least not in the movies (there is something of that in TCW). She is Palpatine's friend.

Padme explicitly expresses her misgivings throughout those horrid scenes with the cheesiest dialogue ever between Portman and Christensen in the first two acts of ROTS.  As for Jimmy Smits keeping his seat, so?  Are you saying it would have been wiser or better for his constituency (in this case, his entire planet) to resign in protest and/or enact a suicidal confrontation with the new empire?

But if you voted for Hitler/Mussolini you were because those people were more honest and transparent about what they were doing than Palpatine ever did - they were not Sith masterminds creating artificial wars...

This is where your argument transcends into absurdity.  Hitler and Mussolini employed exactly the same type of reassuring rhetoric Palpatine presents in the PT - that's what Lucas was trying to depict!  He also concurrently frames out-groups as a threat that needs to be eradicated, not just in ROTS but also in AOTC.  That too is clearly Lucas' attempt to show how fascist regimes emerge.

Not sure what you mean by that - I actually like the PT movies.

I meant TROS.

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, should have left her saber on Alderaan, man. :P

Realistically, if you're going to bury her lightsaber as a memorial, while Tatooine had no particular meaning to her, the place where the Skywalker family began (and where her "family" basically started coming together) seems like a reasonable enough place.  

I know this guy just wants to be funny, but I've seen enough people complain about it that it feels like they're missing the point. The same with Chewbacca getting "his medal" when the point is that it's not his, that the value of it has to do with who it came from and who it had belonged to.

Superficial readings lead to superficial critiques. But ho ho ho, as Jabba would say, I guess.

I think you didn't read the rest of the thread, which had a lot more fun stuff than just that. 

Realistically, if you're burying her lightsaber as a memorial you'd do it wherever Han and Leia had their family. Probably Coruscant. If you're trying to preserve the Skywalker force legacy, I guess Tattooine is as good a place as any. The forest moon of endor is also probably a good spot. 

And thanks to that thread, I had missed that Zorri gave away her only way to get off the planet..before it was annihilated by the Final order. Oops.

Not that anyone cares but I was thinking about how I would rank them. 

-The Empire Strikes Back
-Return of the Jedi
-Rogue One
-The Last Jedi
-(Rebels)
-Star Wars
-(The Clone Wars)
-Solo
-The Force Awakens
-The Phantom Menace
-Rise of Skywalker.
-Revenge of the Sith