Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (among other things, wink wink) SPOILERS

Kalbear

For me, what is so damning about the new trilogy when compared with the OT or the PT is that these new films (and especially RoS) deflate the value of the OT's story. They might be more enjoyable as motion pictures on their own terms, but they fail utterly as part of the wider story. 

Bringing people back from the dead, unless as mindless zombies, should be avoided at all costs. I really don't understand why modern genre writers can't fucking learn that lesson. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Bringing people back from the dead, unless as mindless zombies, should be avoided at all costs. I really don't understand why modern genre writers can't fucking learn that lesson. 

Cuz Hollywood hires hacks instead of looking for real writing talent. These hack all follow the same formula. This formula makes money, because we're dumb. 

Finally seen TRoS. Not much too add to the discussion - I thought was frenetic, trying to do too much at once. It should have kicked off with the funeral of Leia - the attempt to integrate her into the narrative wasn't as macabre as I feared on the whole, but was very limiting. 

Wish there was an alternative SW IX by Rian Johnson so I could compare/contrast how it worked out. On balance I think I'd prefer the RJ version. 

Bringing back Palatine was a terrible mistake. There was stuff to enjoy in TRoS - the visual feast of the Death Star ruins and duel, the Poe-Finn bromance, Adam Driver's acting, the little droid shaped like a cone...but so much seemed to be playing it extremely safe. 

Ranking: 

1. RotJ (just about wins for perfect carthasis at the end)

2. ESB

3. ANH

4. TLJ

5. TFA

6. TRoS

7. Solo

8. RotS

9. TPM

10. R1

11. AotC

Not very familiar with the Prequel films - a lot of the acting and dialogue was dire, and they were green-screened to death. OTOH, a lot of what they introduced was handled more successfully in the Clone Wars animation.  

Big soft-spot for KotOR1 and the (by Star Wars standards) daring and creative KotOR2. Wouldn't feel right trying to rank games against films though. 

2 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

100%

seems like almost all of us agree on this.

:leaving:

There's a reason I haven't listed my rankings.

( I also find it very hard to rank these movies, I grew up with the original trilogy & the prequels, it is tough to rank all of those)

7 hours ago, Relic said:

Cuz Hollywood hires hacks instead of looking for real writing talent. These hack all follow the same formula. This formula makes money, because we're dumb. 

:crying:

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Lawrence Kasdan wrote TFA and Solo...

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain

I'm watching through again in chronological order after watching tRoS and the Anakin/Padme relationship was just even cringier than the last time. She doesn't seem remotely into him - she's scared and creeped out by him and not in the way that can still attract you. And he's so blatantly abusive and ugh.

TCW at least had his abusive tendencies mixed in with him being heroic and charming etc...like abusive people tend to be as they have to be charming to get people attached in the first place, but AotC Anakin? No.

6 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

100%

seems like almost all of us agree on this.

It is an awful film but i feel the new ones have done more damage to the franchise. AOTC isn't as toxic. Even phantom menace is responsible for midichlorians.

The new films shit all over established logic.

But i agree that attack is simply an awful film in of itself. TFA and rise are bad but in that "look it's shiny, don't think way" that abrams "excels" in. And the acting is good in the new ones

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Lawrence Kasdan wrote TFA and Solo...

But he didn't, did he? He wrote parts of it. Also, Solo wasn't THAT bad. Certainly a more cohesive movie than this last pile of shit. 

Solo was cohesively pedestrian. I was shocked how much of a nothing the film is. It didn't even really try to do anything interesting. It was just... there, filling a hole in the Disney release schedule. 

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Solo was cohesively pedestrian. I was shocked how much of a nothing the film is. It didn't even really try to do anything interesting. It was just... there, filling a hole in the Disney release schedule. 

Not saying it was a brilliant movie,  just way better than this most recent travesty. And a bit under rated, in general.  But it suffers from the same paint-by-the-numbers/written-by-committee crap that Hollywood rams down our throats. 

And a bit under rated, in general. 

General opinion seems to be that it's a relentlessly mediocre film with overly-dark and murky cinematography, with Donald Glover as the only real highlight.  I think that's about right, personally.

Re: Kasdan,

His heyday was the 80s, and prior to TFA (a film I consider somewhat over-rated, but anyways...) you have to go back twenty films, to Body Heat and Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Empire Strikes Back, to find films with a similar level of acclaim. That's nearly 40 years in which he made several good-but-not-great films (The Accidental Tourist, The Big Chill, Silverado, Grand Canyon) and a whole bunch of mediocre-to-bad films (the nadir of is probably Darling Companion, a baaaad dog movie which wildly wastes the charm and talent of Diane Keaton and Kevin Kline.)

Where does the story go from here?  Will they do a new trilogy with Daisy and company?

What a shame it all ended in a terrible jumble.   I rewatched TLJ on regular TV last night, and I can't really understand how anyone thinks this movie is anything but objectively mediocre with some nice CGI. 

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Where does the story go from here?  Will they do a new trilogy with Daisy and company?

What a shame it all ended in a terrible jumble.   I rewatched TLJ on regular TV last night, and I can't really understand how anyone thinks this movie is anything but objectively mediocre with some nice CGI. 

Wonder if they'll create a TV series with them since The Mandalorian, which UK people still can't watch :dunno:, seems fairly popular. Not sure they'd be able to afford Ridley, Boyega and Isaac though. I imagine all three are keen to develop their careers in different directions - it would take a lot to tempt them back. A post-sequel trilogy with occasional cameos from one of the big names might be more doable. 

9 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Wonder if they'll create a TV series with them since The Mandalorian, which UK people still can't watch :dunno:, seems fairly popular. Not sure they'd be able to afford Ridley, Boyego and Isaac though. I imagine all three are keen to develop their careers in different directions - it would take a lot to tempt them back. A post-sequel trilogy with occasional cameos from one of the big names might be more doable. 

If Isaac was willing to voice his character for a few episode in the Resistance animated show, he's probably willing to do some live-action cameos. 

14 minutes ago, dog-days said:

A post-sequel trilogy with occasional cameos from one of the big names might be more doable. 

if any franchise should move away from the trilogy model, its this one. 

13 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Wonder if they'll create a TV series with them since The Mandalorian, which UK people still can't watch :dunno:, seems fairly popular. Not sure they'd be able to afford Ridley, Boyego and Isaac though. I imagine all three are keen to develop their careers in different directions - it would take a lot to tempt them back. A post-sequel trilogy with occasional cameos from one of the big names might be more doable. 

It would seem even more pointless, to have killed off all the mains from the original trilogy only to then leave the story where it ended at RSW?  That would make the entire reboot trilogy simply about deconstructing the OT, and I would wonder even more why I even watched any of these movies 1 time.  Of course that doesn't mean that Disney won't do this, given their um, 'stewardship' of their franchise so far.  

I can't see any of those actors wanting to do a TV series unless it was something that was budgeted along the GOT lines, big, big, bigger. 

36 minutes ago, Ran said:

Boyega has said in interviews that he’s not interested in TV work. I think Ridley as well.

Yes, though if a studio has enough money available, actors can usually be persuaded to change their minds - like Daniel Craig, for example. 

Archived