Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (among other things, wink wink) SPOILERS

Kalbear

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

Yes, though if a studio has enough money available, actors can usually be persuaded to change their minds - like Daniel Craig, for example. 

I think there's also a big difference between committing to an ongoing series and doing a one off Disney+ thing with the budget of a movie like Disney is doing with the Marvel stuff. 

My ranking, with different categories of goodness (and badness):

Excellent:

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars: A New Hope

Great:

3. Return of the Jedi

4. The Last Jedi

5. The Force Awakens

Good:

6. Rogue One

7. Solo

Mediocre:

8. The Rise of Skywalker

9. Revenge of the Sith

Bad:

10. The Phantom Menace

Really, really bad:

11. Attack of the Clones

I really did like The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi, despite the terrible Canto Blight part and some pacing issues, really held up for me on a recent rewatch. What it does well, it does really well. I'd kind of like to do a rewatch of all of them, even the prequels.

10 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm watching through again in chronological order after watching tRoS and the Anakin/Padme relationship was just even cringier than the last time. She doesn't seem remotely into him - she's scared and creeped out by him and not in the way that can still attract you. And he's so blatantly abusive and ugh.

TCW at least had his abusive tendencies mixed in with him being heroic and charming etc...like abusive people tend to be as they have to be charming to get people attached in the first place, but AotC Anakin? No.

It makes way more sense if you consider anakin probably mind tricked her that whole time

Don't understand why AOTC has that bad of a standing. It has stupid dialogue, but the structure of the movie is actually much better than TPM. There, the entire plot makes no sense. We have no idea what the Trade Federation think they can accomplish with the blockade or what that this treaty they want Padmé to sign is supposed to accomplish. Not to mention the entire pointless pod race nonsense on Tatooine. The entire movie is a series plot holes - Qui-Gon had a hundred of opportunities to get off the planet much more easier, not to mention quite a few ways to secure Shmi's release in addition to Anakin's (which would have been the fucking decent thing to do, even if she could not live with Anakin at the Jedi Temple).

AOTC at least has a buildup for a galactic conflict and did have a rather interesting political story before Lucas gutted the story by removing a lot of plot and replacing it with that drawn-out, pointless droid factory scene.

The romance definitely doesn't really work. In fact, they should have first met and connected on a very emotional level in the first movie - which they didn't really do. Have somebody eventually get together with a dude you first met when he was a preteen child while you were already a ruling head of state is a constellation that wouldn't really work even if a master writer were trying to sell the plot ... and Lucas was never a master writer.

By the way: I once talked with Matt Stover over at the boards on theforce.net. He wrote the novelization of ROTS and Lucas apparently personally edited that novel to a great point - not changing the plot but rather words and sentences. Which apparently was a very weird experience for him.

One interesting thing I noticed is that everyone who's provided a ranking of the movies has at least one post-Lucas, Disney-era film in their top 4.

For all the variance in which of the sequels we like or hate or consider mediocre, and which of the "Star Wars stories" we like or not, the fact that at least one of the five films Disney has made to date is in the top 4 seems like a potentially positive sign. One or more pretty good films in every five tries wouldn't be too bad, especially if they avoid the things that cause the lowest lows. One good-to-great film and 4 okay-to-mediocre films... well, that works for the MCU, so it should work fine for the Star Wars universe.

So late to the party as per usual, but what a let down of a film.

I massively disliked Last Jedi, but you can't just pretend it didn't happen. Most egregiously to get rid of the best thing it did with Rey not coming from some magical bloodline? Urgh. And completely sidelining Rose (thanks for endorsing all the bigots Disney)

Last Jedi tried to be a good film, and for many succeeded, Rise had no such ambitions. I keep flashing back to how I felt after The Force Awakens came out, so full of hope and optimism for the series. God damn it.

And I will die on the Finn and Poe should have got together hill :commie:

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

One interesting thing I noticed is that everyone who's provided a ranking of the movies has at least one post-Lucas, Disney-era film in their top 4.

For all the variance in which of the sequels we like or hate or consider mediocre, and which of the "Star Wars stories" we like or not, the fact that at least one of the five films Disney has made to date is in the top 4 seems like a potentially positive sign. One or more pretty good films in every five tries wouldn't be too bad, especially if they avoid the things that cause the lowest lows. One good-to-great film and 4 okay-to-mediocre films... well, that works for the MCU, so it should work fine for the Star Wars universe.

I have Rogue One top 4, almost higher than Return of the Jedi. 

Rogue One is one of the best films. Recreates the aesthetics of ANh while icorpprating modern effects.

I’d also rank AOTC above TPM. Thre execution isnt great and the romance is forced.

I think Solo would have received a much better reception had it come out after Sith rather thab Last Jedi; it captures the dirtiness of ANH and thr ground combat isnt sanitised like the prequels.

Ewoks were embarrassing at some point in the 90's, similar to how it was embarrassing to be seen with the parents during those teen years.  But time cured that feeling.  I now love koala bears, ewoks, hutts, parents, chiwawas, porgs, space tentacle monsters, space kangaroo horses, Australian musicians (like in the cantinas), crystal critters, gooberfish.  

Attack o duh Clones haz the biggest battle in the franchise, the coruscant zoom in chase, bobas bossfighting in the mist, refreshing force battles, geonosis (factory bad, roman colisseum good), and wall to wall visuals as the first CGI masterpiece in this universe.  And it's seen as the Thor 2 of starwars?   Dark elvez in space.   It's more upbeat than the Sith movie!   Yet it is sooo tough to put up with teen darth!   Possible fix: For those romance scenes, try watching them in French, the language of love, on the dvd.  (But only if you don't speak french.)

Rogue One is enjoyable overall, but I didn’t give two shits about any of the characters apart from the droid. The space battle at the end was great, as were Vader’s scenes, but otherwise it was pretty bland. I’m surprised so many of you are rating it as the best Disney film, while it’s clearly the worst for me.

28 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Rogue One is enjoyable overall, but I didn’t give two shits about any of the characters apart from the droid. The space battle at the end was great, as were Vader’s scenes, but otherwise it was pretty bland. I’m surprised so many of you are rating it as the best Disney film, while it’s clearly the worst for me.

Same here. I’ll take Rey and Kylo Ren any day over the characters from R1. 

I have a lot more time for Rogue One than anything that's happened post RotJ, mainly because its the one movie that 'feels' like the sort of thing I was hoping I would get to see. It's a SW war movie, that takes the universe seriously and isn't for kids and isn't some overblown epic. That and the Mandalorian are the few properties that have come out seem to have the approach I wanted to see. 

Having said that, Rogue One is far from a perfect movie. I've never been able to get through it on rewatch, it just doesn't have interesting enough characters. But then neither the prequels or sequel trilogy have interesting characters either so I'm forced to make my choice based on pure aesthetic choices!

AOTC for me is by far the worst movie in the Star Wars library (discounting RotS which I cannot be arsed to watch now). It's hard to say 'yeah its good apart from the romance', when the romance is so so awful. At least Anakin in TPM could be excused because he was a kid, a child actor, but at this stage Anakin becomes an insufferable spotty teen.. this is the stage where Vader is truly ruined! Plus there is the Yoda fight which I to this day have no idea what Lucas was thinking. 

Alright, here are my rankings

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Return of the Jedi

4. The Last Jedi

5. The Force Awakens

After a significant drop in quality

6. Rogue One

7. Revenge of the Sith

8. The Phantom Menace

9. Rise of Skywalker

10. Attack of the Clones

11. Solo

Edit -

Also, the more Terrio talks about this film and their script choices, the less I want to ever hear from him again.

31 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Same here. I’ll take Rey and Kylo Ren any day over the characters from R1. 

This is the main stumbling block for me. When you kill off your entire main cast you should care about more than just the droid. But i also didn't give a shit. Weirdly a show about the droid and cassian has loads of potential as diego luna did his damned best with the limited characterisation his character was given and i think with a better story/script he could absolutely establish cassian as a classic character. This would have the added benefit of improving rogue one once we actually care about the character. A bit like watching "serenity" before "firefly"

It's just a shame Disney can't combine characters i care about with a sturdy plot as i think they'd be onto something. Mandalorian has the plot aspect down but I've yet to care about anyone besides the child. But that might be the helmet making it hard to fully embrace mando.

8 minutes ago, red snow said:

This is the main stumbling block for me. When you kill off your entire main cast you should care about more than just the droid. But i also didn't give a shit. Weirdly a show about the droid and cassian has loads of potential as diego luna did his damned best with the limited characterisation his character was given and i think with a better story/script he could absolutely establish cassian as a classic character. This would have the added benefit of improving rogue one once we actually care about the character. A bit like watching "serenity" before "firefly"

It's just a shame Disney can't combine characters i care about with a sturdy plot as i think they'd be onto something. Mandalorian has the plot aspect down but I've yet to care about anyone besides the child. But that might be the helmet making it hard to fully embrace mando.

I was pretty bummed when...

Kuiil got killed.

I have spoken

13 hours ago, Ran said:

There were only 6 films prior to Disney and given how people felt about the prequels it's not a huge achievement for disney films often getting in the top 4. 

But your point does stand that on the whole everyone seems to have found at least one of the new Disney films that are better than any of the prequel trilogy. What's interesting is how it can be any of the Disney films showing how they are all over the place in tone and execution but are actually hitting the right note to subsets. I think this would be fine with the anthology films but it is problematic with the trilogy. 

Maybe Disney now have a think tank trying to distill what made each film "work" and try and put out a future film that has a bit of everything? Eg like the original films.

Just now, Nictarion said:

I was pretty bummed when...

Hide contents

Kuiil got killed.

I have spoken

i almost felt bad for him and his droid as it's sacrifice was a reflection of kuiil's personality. Definitely cared more than i did for the non droid cast of rogue one.

I think I'd have been pushed over the edge if mando had called the child "kuiil" at the end of the episode but i guess it's more important to have a non confusing toyline than to have a heartfelt moment.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I cared about a few: Jyn, Chirrut, Baze, K-2SO. Perhaps they weren't as fleshed out as characters we've seen over an entire trilogy, but they made enough of an impression on me over the course of the film.

Rogue One captured the feel of the OT more than any of the other films. Krennic was also a much better antagonist than Palpatine 2.0. The more I sit and stew on The Rise of Skywalker, the more I dislike his return.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:48 PM, Veltigar said:

Star Wars: A New Fetish? :idea:

:lol: For the record, as much as I like Palps as a character I’m just as grossed out as everyone else about him getting jiggy with some poor unfortunate lady.

I think pre suit Vader could have been a hit with the ladies though, after,well not so much due to performance issues.....

Archived