Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (among other things, wink wink) SPOILERS

Kalbear

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

F-F-F maybe? Wasn't Kevin Feige supposed to be getting involved in Star Wars also? 

Feige I'm guessing will be way too busy with the MCU, and Disney would be insane to upset that applecart. He's doing some stuff with one Star Wars stand-alone film, but not more than that.

20 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Sure, that was more a rhetorical thing - I wanted to point that fighting choreography ranks among the least important overall issues when judging the quality of a film. Especially when one enters geek territory people not knowing anything (or caring) about how fights happen in real life don't give a damn about.

Wrtiting, directing, camera work, acting, editing, music, even lighting are much more important considering they define the film as a whore - I'd even say things like costumes, effects feature more into all that than fighting stuff.

The way to illustrate this would be to point out that the utterly shitty fight scenes from ST: TOS still do not destroy those episodes completely, whereas a movie with equivalently shitty acting, plot, directing would very likely universally condemned.

So says you...

Your posts are incredibly frustrating to read as you state all of your opinions as some kind of iron clad fact, making it impossible to know when you are stating what you think vs. facts. 

6 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Yeah I think this is what bothers me the most. Yoda went into seclusion after failing to defeat the Emperor and him taking over the entire galaxy. Luke went into hiding because his nephew and him had a bedside misunderstanding one time.

I get that you were going in for humour but that is so reductive as to be misleading. Your nephew waking to find you standing over him contemplating murder is more than a “bedside misunderstanding.” And being the unintended cause of the very thing you set out to prevent seems just as good a motivator for the shame and guilt that led Luke into seclusion as Obi Wan and Yoda

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Doing job for free beats being tortured to death for not doing your job. As you said the Sith system, that means someone else will be the boss and if that boss finds out you didn't try to kill the slayers, guess what he does to you.

Again, to me, Fett trying to help Jabba makes total sense in that if he doesn't help him and Jabba still survives, what do you think happens to Fett? If he helps him and they live Fett now is in most favored status with a powerful crime boss. The way I remember it in the original trilogy they portrayed the bounty hunters as more of Jabbas' lackeys than a "guild". I mean why was Fett even there if he wasn't a tight part of Jabbas' group? Fett should have been out hunting someone else. Hell even the Empire respected the Hutts, why else would Vader let Fett take Solo?

Your post actually has me wondering now why Boba Fett was even still there. Its supposed to be a year or so since Han was frozen right? Was his payment an all expsenses paid retirement plan to Jabba’s palace?

18 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So says you...

Your posts are incredibly frustrating to read as you state all of your opinions as some kind of iron clad fact, making it impossible to know when you are stating what you think vs. facts. 

If I were to always say 'this is my opinion' then they would be much longer and tedious to read. And this is entirely a matter of taste. I mean, if were sharing a meal me saying 'This doesn't taste well' would also not mean you have to dislike it, too (unless we are figures in a Doris Day movie or something) ;-).

But of course, to a degree, this depends on the kind of film we are talking about. A movie heavily relying on fight scenes should have good ones, the same goes for stunts in movies where there is a lot of stunt action.

But no film with a badly written bad story and badly directed and acted is going to be praised as a good movie - whereas a movies whose main flaws are bad fight scenes, effects, or stunts definitely is going to get a pass if it is a great movie.

In fact, I'd say that this is exactly what happens with classics of cinema history - among those we usually rank well-written, well-directed, and well-acted movies where we can overlook bad qualities which are explained by the limited means they had back in the day. Granted, a movie wanting to be a great action movie in our day and age and completely failing at the front deserves criticism for that. But whether the guys properly beat each other up or whether the house explodes in the correct manner is not as important as the why of the fight or the explosion of the house.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:51 AM, sifth said:

It makes as much sense as doing your job for free. Yea, it's totally their duty to defend a corpse. The entire sith system works on one guy killing the guy above him, basically the pirate/klingon code.

The guards weren't necessarily avenging Snoke's death, but just realized they were witnesses to the assassination and so loose ends for the very unstable Kylo Ren to clean up.  So they attacked out of self preservation. 

This is later confirmed when Kylo tells Hux that Rey killed Snoke.   With the guards all dead and Rey gone there was no one to contradict him

Interesting to hear about this film from the production side of things, it sounds like a mess and it is unfortunate that JJ & co didn't get more time. It clearly hurt the film - they had 3 months less than they did for TFA.

“We were definitely still trying to figure out a lot of stuff,” Brandon said about the sped-up editing process. “It’s a struggle. It affected everything. About a third of the way through, [Lucasfilm president] Kathy [Kennedy] was like, ‘JJ has got to spend more time in the cutting room.’ And I knew that wasn’t going to happen. Not with the schedule that we were on. Not with what he was dealing with on a daily basis…he was just exhausted at the end of the day.”

“I suggested I cut on the set…we had two tented rooms…so I just went wherever JJ was, usually 10 feet away from the camera, wherever the camera was,” Brandon said. “And I just mobile-y cut. And in between takes, [J.J.] could sit down with me and we could go over things.”

This is like The Hobbit & Peter Jackson all over again

8 hours ago, Leofric said:

The guards weren't necessarily avenging Snoke's death, but just realized they were witnesses to the assassination and so loose ends for the very unstable Kylo Ren to clean up.  So they attacked out of self preservation. 

This is later confirmed when Kylo tells Hux that Rey killed Snoke.   With the guards all dead and Rey gone there was no one to contradict him

To me Kylo's whole speech to Hux was just there to show how unstable he was. The guy was literally on the verge of trying to destroy the First Order as a whole with Rey, just a few minutes earlier; with his whole, "let's tear them both down" speech.

I will say your self defense argument, makes the most sense out of all of the people who have been trying to refute my comment. I still think it's stupid mind you and that they should have just fled. They were clearly trying to kill two people well out of their league.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

Interesting to hear about this film from the production side of things, it sounds like a mess and it is unfortunate that JJ & co didn't get more time. It clearly hurt the film - they had 3 months less than they did for TFA.

I suspect if they'd swallowed their pride and made this a quartet rather than trilogy we could have had two films that were a lot better than a rushed single film. Could have given characters more space and cultivate the threat of the final order better. They could have stopped part 1 at the kylo vs rey showdown as it would have made a decent cliffhanger. Part 2 could have been the palpatine and first order showdown. With room to add other story elements.

Still think they'd have been better keeping snoke than putting palpatine in. It's not like resurrecting snoke would have been less palatable than palpatine. The clone thing would have worked just the same.

I wonder if we'll ever see or hear of snoke in the mandalorian? 

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Curious that they are this open about it. I wonder if everyone is lining up to pass the blame onto Kathleen Kennedy. Someone has to take the fall for the controversy and J.J. sure as hell doesn't want anyone to interfere with his rights to fuck up others franchises.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Your post actually has me wondering now why Boba Fett was even still there. Its supposed to be a year or so since Han was frozen right? Was his payment an all expsenses paid retirement plan to Jabba’s palace?

It's almost like dodgy plotting and fan service was built into these movies going back to the OT, in the name of selling more toys. 

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Still think they'd have been better keeping snoke than putting palpatine in. It's not like resurrecting snoke would have been less palatable than palpatine. The clone thing would have worked just the same

But with a quartet of movies it wouldn't be over yet!   Better rushed and done.    And Snoke isn't dead.   He'll be back in movie 11, if the pattern holds.  His face tells us he survives lethal wounds for breakfast.  So he'll T/K the halves of his body together and use gorilla glue mitichlorian binding to patch himself together.    It was all part of his plan to avoid facing Sideous.

I'd never seen this before, and it's clearly the best live action star wars production of the last decade:

Darth Vader and Bobba Fett dancing like strippers is an image that will stay with me for a long time. Also live action Ahsoka! kinda....

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I'd never seen this before, and it's clearly the best live action star wars production of the last decade:

Darth Vader and Bobba Fett dancing like strippers is an image that will stay with me for a long time. Also live action Ahsoka! kinda....

How many damn things predicted Palpatine's return? :laugh:

I hath returned. I won't reiterate everything said, I'll just say I hated this film, and I think I would rank it even lower then Clones. Clones is objectively worse but I can enjoy it because its so terrible. ROS just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also every time the writer that isn't JJ (Terrio) or something) opens his mouth it gets worse. He has some line now about how the cardinal sin of the prequel trilogy was separating the twins at the end, and I just...I wonder if he has seen any SW film other then RotJ.

Edit: I really liked TFA and TLJ, and still do. Also a lot of my friends loved TROS and I'm not going to pretend that it's some mega conspiracy. That last line though...ugh. If I was a real Sith Lord I could have blown up the moon after that.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I hath returned. I won't reiterate everything said, I'll just say I hated this film, and I think I would rank it even lower then Clones. Clones is objectively worse but I can enjoy it because its so terrible. ROS just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also every time the writer that isn't JJ (Terrio) or something) opens his mouth it gets worse. He has some line now about how the cardinal sin of the prequel trilogy was separating the twins at the end, and I just...I wonder if he has seen any SW film other then RotJ.

Edit: I really liked TFA and TLJ, and still do. Also a lot of my friends loved TROS and I'm not going to pretend that it's some mega conspiracy. That last line though...ugh. If I was a real Sith Lord I could have blown up the moon after that.

Wow, if you didn't like it...

Yeah, what can you expect from Chris Terrio. The Oscar he got for Argo clearly went to his head. After that, he helped create BvS and Justice League. 

50 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Wow, if you didn't like it...

Yeah, what can you expect from Chris Terrio. The Oscar he got for Argo clearly went to his head. After that, he helped create BvS and Justice League. 

Yeah, the guy known for coming up with MARTHA probably wasn't uh, the best choice.

There were a few things I did like: the music, of course, and most of the stuff with Keri Russell and her little droid hacking buddy. The visuals in the sith temple were nice too when they weren't having a light switch rave.

Speaking of the music, as a soundtrack nut, it's very obvious that a lot of this was edited last minute, there's some weird musical cuts, plus it was reported Williams composed something like 135 minutes of music, and there is a lot of music in the film tracked from the old movies. I don't mean themes reappearing either, I mean tracks taken directly from other soundtracks. (Lucas did this a lot in Clones, too, oddly).

And not to spread rumors, I would NEVER do that, but there's a report from someone who actually leaked the few leaks that turned out to be true that Lucasfilm pretty much ran completely over JJ Abrams and vetoed all his decisions, even to the point were the final edit was done behind his back. Rumors, and such, but I do wonder with how much this movie seems to shit over TFA as well as TLJ.

I could go on for PAGES, but I'll stop and say I'm actually OK with Rey being a palp, some of her lightsaber moves in TFA mirrored his and her theme has a lot of musical similarities to his, so I can buy they may have had that in mind from the beginning.

11 minutes ago, Triskele said:

There is a massive "How did this happen" question looming over this whole thing particularly with the incontinuity from JJ to RJ to JJ with no fucking plan to make sure there was a coherent story arc across the trilogy.  How could Disney have such a thing occur?  

This is what confuses me the most.  You pay a billion dollars (queue Dr Evil close up) for something and then just say “Ah, to hell with it... we’ll figure something out.”?!!?

Archived