Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (among other things, wink wink) SPOILERS

Kalbear

Why was there such a push to make just a new trilogy and stop there with the episodic films?  This is what I don't get.  I think TLJ followed TFA pretty well and led to a lot of new ground, why stop with just one more film and try to tie up nine films when technically episode six was already THE finale?  There have been more than thirty years between Return of the Jedi and the sequel trilogy, why were they trying to shove the post ROTJ SW story into just three movies?  They didn't need to do episode nine and then be done, Disney really needed to give this new time period breathing room to come into its own.  That's what I'm most disappointed by with the sequel trilogy. 

28 minutes ago, Triskele said:

This is a very questionnable statement.  Metacritic isn't everything, but it's score there is embarrassing.  

Metacritic and RT are easily manipulated piles of poo. I tend to go buy IMDB, which generally has a larger sample size and is a lot harder to just randomly make accounts for. And last I saw it was sitting at around the same score as TLJ. I'm not going to argue about the rest, I'm frankly sick of talking about Star Wars. Some people like some of the films and some people don't,

23 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

Why was there such a push to make just a new trilogy and stop there with the episodic films?  This is what I don't get.  I think TLJ followed TFA pretty well and led to a lot of new ground, why stop with just one more film and try to tie up nine films when technically episode six was already THE finale?  There have been more than thirty years between Return of the Jedi and the sequel trilogy, why were they trying to shove the post ROTJ SW story into just three movies?  They didn't need to do episode nine and then be done, Disney really needed to give this new time period breathing room to come into its own.  That's what I'm most disappointed by with the sequel trilogy. 

I don't get the whole climax of the Skywalker Saga bit myself. This movie practically goes out of its way to ignore that the prequels exist, in fact other then Palpatines one throw away line at the beginning and like a trade federation droid in the background of one shot...I can;t like of anything that references the prequels at all.

I'm also still not sure why it's called The Rise of Skywalker. The whole film just makes no sense. You have a quest to find a mcguffin to find a mcguffin that leads to a map..that the droid had the whole time? See I'm ranting again. I'll try and stop.

Edit: I'll also add, I love 4 of the 5 films Disney had put out, so, there's that.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Edit: I'll also add, I love 4 of the 5 films Disney had put out, so, there's that. 

I really liked TLJ & I am very fond of TFA too. I think that's why I was so disappointed by TROS. People can keep going on about Disney or Kennedy not knowing what they were doing, but I still think TLJ & TFA are very good movies ( TFA does feel a little templatized, but I still enjoy the characters) - It's just unfortunate that this one was rushed with the writing & execution  so mediocre.

13 minutes ago, Raja said:

I really liked TLJ & I am very fond of TFA too. I think that's why I was so disappointed by TROS. People can keep going on about Disney or Kennedy not knowing what they were doing, but I still think TLJ & TFA are very good movies ( TFA does feel a little templatized, but I still enjoy the characters) - It's just unfortunate that this one was rushed with the writing & execution  so mediocre.

Yeah I do wonder what went on behind the scenes. I think the idea that any movie series beyond say Phase 3 of Marvel is plotted out before hand is grossly overstated. The OT was pretty much made up as they went, and Lucas changed his mind A LOT when it comes to the prequel trilogy. But I digress.

6 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Also, TROS seems to be a big hit with most of the fans.

I saw it the other day, expecting the biggest crime against cinema since David Lynch's Dune.

I really enjoyed it. Sure, none of it makes much sense, but when have the SW films ever made any sense?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I saw it the other day, expecting the biggest crime against cinema since David Lynch's Dune.

I really enjoyed it. Sure, none of it makes much sense, but when have the SW films ever made any sense?

Yes. They’re a Flash Gordon tribute/rip-off mostly viewed through the lense of childhood nostalgia. 

20 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

But with a quartet of movies it wouldn't be over yet!   Better rushed and done.    And Snoke isn't dead.   He'll be back in movie 11, if the pattern holds.  His face tells us he survives lethal wounds for breakfast.  So he'll T/K the halves of his body together and use gorilla glue mitichlorian binding to patch himself together.    It was all part of his plan to avoid facing Sideous.

Good points all round. Clean slate for next (hopefully planned out) films and the snoke thing is sadly plausible

I still have yet to read any plausible reason why they didn't plan the most basic plot beats for the trilogy.  I would guess that SW probably has another at least 2? movies worth of fan goodwill that can be bad and disappointing and still hit $1B, but Disney wasted a massive amount of fan goodwill with this latest trilogy of retreads and retcons and loose threads. 

I didn’t enjoy TLJ very much because I felt like it really depended on the payoff in the last movie. The last movie was a pile of fan service dog shit, which made TLJ just awful. As a stand-alone it had few redeeming qualities, but as a setup for the last movie it is garbage, because the last movie is just bad. The whole thing feels 100% unnecessary after a super enjoyable TFA and amazing R1.

Hopefully they can save it with the series as I really loved The Mandalorian 

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, I believe wert posted something a while back about how Disney has already earned more then what they paid. Also, TROS seems to be a big hit with most of the fans.

Disney are well into profit on the overall franchise (although they're going to need Rise of Skywalker to help offset Solo's losses, which should happen when RotS crosses $900 million, which should be about now) and the Lucasfilm deal, so they haven't lost money but there's also going to be big questions about the situation. Without a longer tail then it appears it's going to get, RotS is going to end up between $100 and $200 million down on The Last Jedi, which was already $700 million down on Force Awakens. That kind of sequel drop off used to be the norm but after the LotR trilogy and the MCU movies, the trajectory has been in the opposite direction. Disney will want to know why they got this kind of drop off, and why Rogue One overperformed compared to expectations and Solo massively underperformed to such a colossal degree that it's almost unfathomable, even given the things working against the film. And with people gaming the rating systems and offering every opinion under the sun online, that's going to be very difficult for them to work out.

Disney may also be looking at another metric: TRoS may have done as well as it did because it was Christmas and there was almost no competition, at all, apart from Frozen 2 which had a clear month and a half already in the cinemas beforehand. If there'd been other options in the cinema, or if they'd released earlier or later, the movie could have really done a lot worse.

There isn't any universe where a main-saga Star Wars film, let alone the claimed last one in the series, is making around two-fifths of what an Avengers movie has. That's indicative of a more fundamental problem, which I think is basically that people are falling out of love of Star Wars, it's not resonating as well with modern audiences, you have fewer and fewer people who've seen all the movies (it was almost impossible in say the 1990s to find a kid who'd not seen a Star Wars film, now it's much more commonplace) and it's old. You can still do more stuff with it, but Disney I think has to accept that Star Wars is no longer the biggest game in town and may now only be a second-tier franchise. It's also not being helped by dropping box office revenues across the United States, which seems mainly to being driven by alternative options for entertainment and also the sheer cost of going to the cinema (this is also getting to be a problem in other countries like the UK, where going to the cinema is now significantly more expensive than buying the Blu-Ray on release day and owning it forever).

The flip side to that is Kennedy also spearheaded the mandalorian, which is largely lauded as awesome and is a major factor in selling disney+, which they care about a great deal. Her involvement in that seems to be oddly overlooked. 

22 minutes ago, Raja said:

I'm wondering if they dropped a "0" and they meant 4,000 years earlier, in the KotOR era. Otherwise I can't see there being much interest in this at all. Another prequel series in a completely random period of Star Wars history?

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm wondering if they dropped a "0" and they meant 4,000 years earlier, in the KotOR era. Otherwise I can't see there being much interest in this at all. Another prequel series in a completely random period of Star Wars history?

I mean - I don't really care what era it is set in. I'm fine with it being in a random period, it doesn't have to be set in a particular era for me to be interested in it - I just want good stories and characters :dunno:

59 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The flip side to that is Kennedy also spearheaded the mandalorian, which is largely lauded as awesome and is a major factor in selling disney+, which they care about a great deal. Her involvement in that seems to be oddly overlooked. 

She had the chance to create a Star Wars parallel to Marvel, which so far, has two dozen plus movies, most of them successful, and she blew it with the sequel trilogy, despite the box office.  That failure seems much more consequential than dropping the mandalorian.  But, if in 5+ years Disney has multiple successful similar SW shows or the mandalorian has taken on GOT cultural and audience dimensions, then there may be a fair point there.

13 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

She had the chance to create a Star Wars parallel to Marvel, which so far, has two dozen plus movies, most of them successful, and she blew it with the sequel trilogy, despite the box office.  That failure seems much more consequential than dropping the mandalorian.  But, if in 5+ years Disney has multiple successful similar SW shows or the mandalorian has taken on GOT cultural and audience dimensions, then there may be a fair point there. 

Lol - what? Marvel has had plenty of misfires and has *way* more movies at the moment. There are so many terrible MCU movies in the 21 leading to Endgame.

I think this is an unfair comparison.

Archived