Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker (among other things, wink wink) SPOILERS

Kalbear

1 minute ago, Relic said:

The "Final Order" (ugh) couldn't leave the planet due to the red nebula stuff, and needed a beacon ship to navigate out. Same with the rebels as they arrived, needed to be guided in.

Actually, I think the explanation in the film is that the atmospheric disturbances of the planet somehow (...) made navigation hard (the exact quote is something like they won't know what way is up from down). It was pretty damned weak as far as explanations go, because "up" is just "opposite the planet" and shouldn't be at all hard to deal with. Would have been better to suggest that wild magnetic fields would wreck ships if they didn't have a ground-based navigation beacon telling them how to avoid them.

But in any case this is a different thing than the hazards you have to navigate through to actually reach the planet.

Just now, Ran said:

But in any case this is a different thing than the hazards you have to navigate through to actually reach the planet.

But if the civilian fleet can just jump in, why can;t the Final Order jump out? What's the beacon for?

Just now, Relic said:

But if the civilian fleet can just jump in, why can;t the Final Order jump out? What's the beacon for?

Abrams clearly has no idea how space works. It’s something I’ve noticed for a while now.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

To be fair, when we see Kylo Ren arrive there, he navigates the nebula, then makes a small jump to the planet. So what we saw with the rebel armada could easily have been the small jump, after they navigated the nebula.

Just now, Relic said:

Given that they have fallen in love with hyperspace jumps inside atmospheres in the Disney era, maybe the "up from down" issue is more that when you're within the magnetic sphere you can't reliably make your hyperspace navigation calculations, whereas if you're just jumping over to the planet, well, once you're there, you're there, doesn't matter if the magnetic foo-foo makes the whatsis not work.

Honestly, all this stupid hyperspace shit that started with TFA and includes TLJ and TRoS is my biggest annoyance, just from the nitpicky nerd side of things. Lucas and the EU had hit on some rules that seemed to provide some safe understanding of why X happens and not Y, but with lightspeed skipping and Holdo maneuvers and jumping around in gravity wells, a lot of that flies out the window.

Just now, Corvinus said:

To be fair, when we see Kylo Ren arrives there, he navigates the nebula, then makes a small jump to the planet. 

Hmmm, does he? Or does he fly thru the nebula? I've seen it twice (because i needed to torture myself) and I didn't notice it, but it might have been because my eyes were rolling out of my skull. 

There's a hell of a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.

How the hell has Palpatine built apparently the most powerful fleet in the history of the galaxy on a planet with no apparent industrial capacity without anyone noticing? They just came up with a planet killing weapon they can stick on the bottom of a star destroyer? The original trilogy is in large part about how the Death Star was an almost unthinkable advance in weapons technology as a result of the vast resources of a galactic empire and they just build a better version on a desolate out of the way planet just like that?

11 hours ago, Rubicante said:

When Finn attacks the Star Destroyer with horses, why doesn't General Pryde just rotate his ship by 90 degrees (with respect to a horizontal axis parallel to the surface of the planet) to knock all of the Resistance members off the ship?

How does Lando see Finn hanging off the side of the Star Destroyer? He's like...miles away and somehow spots a tiny human speck with his 85 year old eyes?

Just now, ljkeane said:

How the hell has Palpatine built apparently the most powerful fleet in the history of the galaxy on a planet with no apparent industrial capacity without anyone noticing?

The Unknown Regions are basically Terra Incognita in the canon. There are civilizations out there that have no contact or commerce with the rest of the galaxy. In fact, rumor has it that the next trilogy will be set 400 years in the past, in the "High Republic" era, and will possibly feature some Jedi exploring the Unknown Regions.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

How the hell has Palpatine built apparently the most powerful fleet in the history of the galaxy on a planet with no apparent industrial capacity without anyone noticing? They just came up with a planet killing weapon they can stick on the bottom of a star destroyer? The original trilogy is in large part about how the Death Star was an almost unthinkable advance in weapons technology as a result of the vast resources of a galactic empire and they just build a better version on a desolate out of the way planet just like that?

Building a single destroyer would use up a ton of resources, and building a Star Destroyer laser requires a ton of Kyber crystals. Where did all this stuff come from?

17 minutes ago, Relic said:

Hmmm, does he? Or does he fly thru the nebula? I've seen it twice (because i needed to torture myself) and I didn't notice it, but it might have been because my eyes were rolling out of my skull. 

I've seen it twice, too, mostly because I was too bewildered the first time, and my dad wanted to see it, so I went with him for my 2nd viewing. Yes, there's a shot of his ship suddenly appearing, with the nebula well behind him.

But on the subject of JJ not knowing shit about space, nebulae occupy large areas of space. Simply weaving your way through will take lifetimes, if you don't have FTL. For example, in Solo, navigating the Kessel nebula is a distance of 20 parsecs, that involves a series of small jumps and some sublight travel - we kinda see this. Then Han takes a shortcut.

But here, well enough has been said.

On the subject of the armada of planet killing ships. Seriously, they couldn't have come up with a different scenario where Palps could have threatened the entire galaxy without rehashing the blow up planets move?

- spread a plague

- secretly build an army of mind controlled force sensitives

- secretly build a device that can manipulate the Force in such a way to threaten all life in the galaxy

- explore further the plot from Rebels season 4 with the world between worlds.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

On the subject of the armada of planet killing ships. Seriously, they couldn't have come up with a different scenario where Palps could have threatened the entire galaxy without rehashing the blow up planets move?

- spread a plague

- secretly build an army of mind controlled force sensitives

- secretly build a device that can manipulate the Force in such a way to threaten all life in the galaxy

- explore further the plot from Rebels season 4 with the world between worlds.

why do you need a death ray when you can just have a droid holdo maneuver an empty star destroyer into a planet??? or for that matter just hyper drive some asteroids into a planet. or fucking whatever other dumb shit. ugh. 

It's not that big of a deal but after seeing it talked up a bit that Wedge was going to be in the film that was it? Couldn't he have at least been flying an x-wing or something. If we're going to have fan service cameos at least make them a bit cooler.

11 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's not that big of a deal but after seeing it talked up a bit that Wedge was going to be in the film that was it? Couldn't he have at least been flying an x-wing or something. If we're going to have fan service cameos at least make them a bit cooler.

For real. And have Chewie do something cool, damn it!

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The Unknown Regions are basically Terra Incognita in the canon. There are civilizations out there that have no contact or commerce with the rest of the galaxy. In fact, rumor has it that the next trilogy will be set 400 years in the past, in the "High Republic" era, and will possibly feature some Jedi exploring the Unknown Regions.

Really?

34 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Really?

That’s the rumor going around, and that it all connects to a mysterious Project Luminous cross-media set of stories from a number of different creators.

Whether it’s true or not, it’s not clear.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

He asked the Greyjoys how they built their fleet while inhabiting a basically treeless rock!

Ug, all this "look at all these plot holes!" stuff is nutso. I mean, in the OT, no one complained (much) about a new death star showing up in Part 3. If we went with what people wanted, the new trilogy would be centered on, I don't know, a new Jedi going from planet to planet, meeting with chancellors and council members trying to figure out where the missing steel shipments from Orgluck's receiving documents in Naboo's receiving bay were going, because when the Jedi counted the materials in the receiving bay, they were suspiciously short. And this mystery could lead to a series of adventures uncovering mathematical forgery on numerous documents around the system which ultimately leads them to realize that the kindly new leader of the democratic Republic is actually an evil sith lord named Palpatine. Oh wait, we already had this crappy kind of story telling in the prequels? Yeah, those were bad.

Nothing in RoS needs to be nitpicked. Just enjoy it. We got a good return to Star Wars after it was damn near ruined by the prequels. I love Star Wars again.

Archived