Martin confirms Dany's coin lands good.

Sea Dragon

On 1/22/2020 at 9:32 AM, mzso said:

And the legendary apocalyptic threat of the White Walkers can be solved by a poke of a knife. :)

Rendering all those battles and casualties meaningless.

I'd just be happy if the soldiers didn't fight out in front of the walls in the novels.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:10 PM, Sea Dragon said:

This just came out and I want to discuss it here so everyone will know. According to this french site, Martin has already confirmed that Dany's coin will land on the side for good. Targaryen madness is a lie. No show talk here because that will just enrage everyone again including me. I knew the books would be better and I love that Martin confirmed this. 

So can we please stop debating this now? It is confirmed and we need to move on with how she and her dragons are the symbol of peace and rebuilding and it is others that want to tear her down. 

https://unificationfrance.com/spip.php?page=pages_mobiles&squelette_mobile=mobile%2Farticle&id_article=60319&fbclid=IwAR03u54S2b60O883iktgyhWPzzvuJbHGxvWivgsO8UeiK41mJ1t6cFBZHwI&lang=fr

I would be interested to know what does Martin mean by 'good' targaryen. I sometimes disagree with Martin's characterization of his characters. I also find his writing about human relations and human nature a bit cynical. So for me, this quote doesn't mean much. The books, if they are finished, may reflect something else entirely.

On 1/22/2020 at 3:57 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

The books show that the most effective method of governance is common decency, even if they are your enemies. This is shown with how Sansa treats Loras, how Tyrion treats Bran, and how Dany treats the nobles in Meereen. 

The Starks were the longest rulers in the history, simply because they did decent things, the "make them love me" method. It doesn't even seem to be as calculated as all that, in fact I would argue that many of the Starks are promoted against their will. 

Unfortunately Dany looks up to the wrong people and the wrong symbols. She would be a good ruler if she wouldn't valorize the blood of the dragon and old valyria so much - the blood of supremacist slaving mad conquerors. She thinks that this is her destiny - well, that's what she got.

How did common decency for everyone including enemies work out for Eddard Stark? How did it work out for Jeor Mormont? Donella Hornwood?

14 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

How did common decency for everyone including enemies work out for Eddard Stark? How did it work out for Jeor Mormont? Donella Hornwood?

You need to look at the full arc. The Starks came out on top in the end because they managed to strike a balance between ruthlessness and decency. They learned from Ned's mistakes while remembering his lessons. They also didnt lose their humanity. I dont know how Donella Hornwood fits, she wasnt a role model like your other two examples.

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2019 at 9:10 PM, Sea Dragon said:

This just came out and I want to discuss it here so everyone will know. According to this french site, Martin has already confirmed that Dany's coin will land on the side for good. Targaryen madness is a lie. No show talk here because that will just enrage everyone again including me. I knew the books would be better and I love that Martin confirmed this. 

So can we please stop debating this now? It is confirmed and we need to move on with how she and her dragons are the symbol of peace and rebuilding and it is others that want to tear her down. 

https://unificationfrance.com/spip.php?page=pages_mobiles&squelette_mobile=mobile%2Farticle&id_article=60319&fbclid=IwAR03u54S2b60O883iktgyhWPzzvuJbHGxvWivgsO8UeiK41mJ1t6cFBZHwI&lang=fr

I definitely don't think that Martin is going for the "it's all in the genes" crap that D&D pulled. Rhaenyra wasn't mad either; she was driven to anger and paranoia by a series of betrayals and frustrations. If Tyrion ends up being the valonqar, then Cersei's prophecy will have turned out to be self-fulfilling: Tyrion wanted to be close to Cersei his whole life, but mistreatment from her (due to the prophecy) and Tywin finally drove him to hate them. With that in mind, I suspect that rather than Dany having the mad taint, she'll become embittered by her experiences. Aegon is going to get to King's Landing before her, and if the cloth dragon vision is any indication, he will be beloved. It's going to break Dany's heart to be rejected by the home she's dreamed of her entire life, and it will all be downhill from there.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 6:17 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I definitely don't think that Martin is going for the "it's all in the genes" crap that D&D pulled. Rhaenyra wasn't mad either; she was driven to anger and paranoia by a series of betrayals and frustrations. If Tyrion ends up being the valonqar, then Cersei's prophecy will have turned out to be self-fulfilling: Tyrion wanted to be close to Cersei his whole life, but mistreatment from her (due to the prophecy) and Tywin finally drove him to hate them. With that in mind, I suspect that rather than Dany having the mad taint, she'll become embittered by her experiences. Aegon is going to get to King's Landing before her, and if the cloth dragon vision is any indication, he will be beloved. It's going to break Dany's heart to be rejected by the home she's dreamed of her entire life, and it will all be downhill from there.

Meh.

Heartbreak ≠ extreme violence, bloodlust or insanity

Not to say that Dany won't be heartbroken by the people loving Aegon. I'm saying that there's going to be a lot more to the beef between Dany and Aegon than just Dany's jealousy and heartbreak. I think Arianne, JonCon, Varys, Tyrion, Moqorro, the High Sparrow and many more people will all have their part to play.

I think someone is going to instigate a war between them and/or do something that will piss Dany off. I can't shake the feeling that Aegon will be something of a puppet.

Archived