How much did Ned care about Lyanna?

Angel Eyes

8 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Or tell them "not to talk to strangers" but then get "shamed" for being impolite when you don't.

Absolutely. It has to be horribly confusing for children. 

I don't think this has anything to do with actually "being polite" or even "pc".

Right, it shouldn't anyway. I was just saying that in response to the people telling the mother that it wasn't polite for the little girl to ignore the guy. 

For a moment forgot the name of the movie, but there's the one with the ghost of a girl trying to warn her father about the friendly neighbour who killed her. That predator typically used the "That's not polite. You have to be polite," to pressure his victims into giving in to his requests and demands, the moment their instincts tell them to run. Being polite never means put your life and safety at danger for the gratification of someone else's feelings.

Yeah, I think @kissedby fire is right - Lovely Bones

I am sorry for your past experiences and I wish you all the best in raising and protecting your loved ones from similar experiences.

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

@sweetsunray,  I think the film is The Lovely Bones.

Yeah that was it! There will be blood, Doubt and The Lovely Bones are my top movies when it comes to portraying personality disorders, as well as how predators manage to deceive and groom. 

And to get back on topic, Robert Baratheon is not a predator, nor are all abusers. His alcohol abuse is part of the mix that leads him to be abusive, but then he also uses his alcohol abuse as a mask to allow his inner beast the freedom  to do what he does to Cersei. Cersei is a horrible murderous narcissist with sadistical tendencies, but that never gave Robert the right to rape her or bruise her.

I have no low opinion of people having open relations, or multiple relations, but only if this is in mutual consent, without deception, lies and outright harm. His tendency to fall in love at night and out of love again by the morning is a red flag for me that Robert's internal emotional life may come across as dramatic, but in fact is quite shallow. The only life where I could see Robert being happy is that of a captain of a band of mercenaries in Essos. And thus, Lyanna would not have made him happy long term, nor can I claim he would not have abused her at some point. I can see him getting drunk and do his business with her after they have a disagreement about something just as well as he does with Cersei. 

Archived