The Witcher: Evil is Evil

AncalagonTheBlack

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

In particular this is very much bullshit.

We literally visit a brothel to have geralt bang a sex worker. I guess it's not a side character, but all it serves is to give motivation for geralt to do monster hunting - because he doesnt have enough money to keep fucking whores. 

You can disagree all you like about it not being exploitative, but tell me - how much male nudity was there in the orgy? How much male nudity was there when geralt has sex with anyone?

I'd have to say that the amount of nudity and which gender is involved is wholly not the point. 

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Hissrich also said on Reddit that she knew they messed up showing any sense of Jaskier aging this season. Said they had ideas for how to improve it next season.

Particularly odd given that Joey Batey is only 27. If the entire rest of the show is taking place "in the present" (apart from the odd flashback), that's potentially 6 more seasons of having to make Matey look 15 years older than he is for the entirety of the show when they could have cast older or made the character younger.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

Particularly odd given that Joey Batey is only 27. If the entire rest of the show is taking place "in the present" (apart from the odd flashback), that's potentially 6 more seasons of having to make Matey look 15 years older than he is for the entirety of the show when they could have cast older or made the character younger.

Batey joked that he was cast because he was the only actor who auditioned who knew how to play a lute (due to his having learned for the RSC stage production of Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies). 

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Daily Wire host reviews 'The Witcher': "No woman can fight with a sword. Zero women can fight with a sword"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/01/07/zero-women-can-fight-with-a-sword-claims-the-witcher-critic/#5d67e0c61d8e

I watched responses on this from HEMA dudes. That Klaven guy is such an ignorant buffoon. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:46 PM, karaddin said:

Here we get the hard link between his and Yen's story - Yen graduated and became court magician about 20 years before Geralt is here and fighting the Strig..whatever its name is, as she's seeing King Foltest when he's ~10 and I'd guess he's 30ish when Geralt meets him. He's still alive as the King of his Kingdom at the end so he can't be too old at this point.

I actually was significantly off here and there is 33 years between Yen getting her court posting and Geralt fighting the Striga. Gap from ep 2-3 was 3 years though, and the Renfri stuff was 9 years before that. Another 6 to the Law of Surprise stuff, another 7 till he meets Yen and they have their on and off relationship for 6 years until the dragon hunt. The Ciri timeline is only 1 year after that though, all up only 14 between his first visit to Cintra and the "present". I really overestimated that.

The larger gap earlier evened that out though, the encounter with Renfi is 32 years before Ciri, while Yen started her studies 57 years before present and 15 years earlier than Geralt.

Couple of other observations from the timeline and maps - I had thought Cintra was in the North, so I was quite confused why there was still a choke point to get to the north, the map makes it clear that Cintra is South of the divide.

The other is that Nilfgaard must have transformed very quickly - in ep4 the Nilfgaard suitor is laughed out of the room with everyone treating them as a joke. Only 14 years later not only are they a huge threat, but they've also acquired a reputation for savagery.

5 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Daily Wire host reviews 'The Witcher': "No woman can fight with a sword. Zero women can fight with a sword"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/01/07/zero-women-can-fight-with-a-sword-claims-the-witcher-critic/#5d67e0c61d8e

Same sort who objects to the non-historical inclusion of non-white people in medieval fantasy because, you know bhob, there were no non-white people in Europe until, o, colonial era slavery?

This is good, a travel piece by William Dalrymple, whose book, The Anarchy, describing the wars the East India Company waged against the Mughal kingdoms in India , which I read at the close of this past year. The subject of this travel piece is Roman-era Algeria, and the Berbers who went to Britain as Roman generals and governors and to govern the place, even lo up as far as Scotland

https://www.ft.com/content/c493891c-307c-11ea-a329-0bcf87a328f2

.... It is perhaps partly because this anti-colonial conflict still looms so large in the European imagination that we tend to imagine the tide of colonisation flows exclusively from west to east, north to south. But Algerian history teaches us the reality is, at least, a little more nuanced. It was wealthy north Africans who crushed the Caledonian resistance and seized north Britain for the Romans. By the end of the second century, a third of the Roman senate was north African while the Emperor Septimius Severus grew up a little to the east in Leptis Magna (now in modern Libya)....

The interactive map that Netflix released doesn't show Filavandrel's uprising, mentioned in the 2nd episode. The Great Cleansing is shown, but not the rebellion. I was trying to figure out the timeline. When Filavandrel told Geralt that his elders were slaughtered by humans, I assumed it happened many centuries before, but then again, I have no idea if these elves live as long as Tolkien's elves.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

When Filavandrel told Geralt that his elders were slaughtered by humans, I assumed it happened many centuries before, but then again, I have no idea if these elves live as long as Tolkien's elves.

They do. And you are right. There were no humans in this world before The Conjunction of the Spheres, which happened some twelve centuries before the action of the books.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 1:16 AM, 3CityApache said:

They do. And you are right. There were no humans in this world before The Conjunction of the Spheres, which happened some twelve centuries before the action of the books.

Elves aren't native to this world either, novel wise.  The Gnomes are believed to be the first settlers, followd by dwarves.

The unique problem elves face is that while they live for a very long time, they're only fertile when they're young.  So when they lose a lot of their youth, they're losing out on future generations, even though from an exterior point of view they still appear to have a large population.

On 1/12/2020 at 7:25 AM, karaddin said:

Couple of other observations from the timeline and maps - I had thought Cintra was in the North, so I was quite confused why there was still a choke point to get to the north, the map makes it clear that Cintra is South of the divide.

The other is that Nilfgaard must have transformed very quickly - in ep4 the Nilfgaard suitor is laughed out of the room with everyone treating them as a joke. Only 14 years later not only are they a huge threat, but they've also acquired a reputation for savagery.

Nilfgard is an empire, their strength mostly comes from their steam rolling of other nation states.  Historically they also spend a lot of time stabbing each other in the back, so they haven't been able to do much with their power.  I've always thought of them as a sort of Holy Roman Empire analogue, where Emyr is one of the few Emperors who is successfully able to mobilize his strength rather than spend all his time fighting civil wars and political enemies.

13 hours ago, karaddin said:

Whatever complaints I've seen about Korra (which I disagree with most of anyway), I've never seen someone complain about the animation which is gorgeous. So that's a good start.

The animation in Season 2 was definitely below par, because Nickelodeon decided to rush production (hence four seasons in three years) and they had to spread the animation over multiple studios. That's part of the reason Season 2 had two entire episodes in a different, more stylised (and much faster to animate) style, with the flashbacks to the First Avatar. Studio Mir was the good one that did most of Season 1, 3 and 4.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

The TV show soundtrack is pretty good, but I have to say that The Witcher 3 soundtrack overall leaves it in the dust.

Agreed. Sometimes the tv show seemed quite similar to the game soundtrack. I wish they could've just found a way to get the game's music.

Having just started playing TW3 after watching the show a second time I was really struck by how similar the music that plays when you level up is to the main theme they used in the show, so yeah that definitely seems intentional.

Archived