The Witcher: Evil is Evil

AncalagonTheBlack

Just finished it last night, and I agree it was a successful lightweight fantasy.  I thought it was at it's best when it embraces being a trashy monster-of-the-week or good vs evil showdown, rather than trying to be "deeper" and mostly failing. 

I felt like as the show went on, more and more Yennifer was the main character.  In the final episode she drives the entire plot, whereas Geralt looks for Ciri, gets infected by ghouls, and then wanders into the woods to find Ciri. 

The nudity was definitely to titilate, and at times it was a little distracting.  I suppose this is true to the video games at least, which I remember one boarder referring to as "adventures in boobland".  However, the degree to which the women drive the plot and dominate the dialogue was nice, and unusual in a fantasy setting.  There is probably more woman-woman dialogue than man-man for the entire season (it helps that Geralt rarely talks).  I didn't expect to see that here, and it made the show more interesting.  Tissaia de Vries's character stood out in particular. 

2 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

which is basically the plot for the whole saga :p

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

I imagine so. Even Witcher 3, which is my only introduction to the world, was Geralt searching for Ciri.

Right, but presumably the video game doesn't have the final battle be Geralt fighting a few nameless ghouls, only to go to a cutscene of Yennifer and a group of mages defeating the enemy's army a few miles away.

Or maybe not, I've never played the games, but that doesn't sound like a video game anybody would like. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Right, but presumably the video game doesn't have the final battle be Geralt fighting a few nameless ghouls, only to go to a cutscene of Yennifer and a group of mages defeating the enemy's army a few miles away.

Or maybe not, I've never played the games, but that doesn't sound like a video game anybody would like. 

Haha, no, it doesn't. I'll bet season 2 is better than season 1 for this show given they did all the "origin" stuff here.

I didn't mind the origin stuff, although I'll admit it did take some time.  The problem was that it seemed to suffer from a malady that a lot of fantasy stories do (particularly ASOIAF and WOT) where some characters are driving the plot while others are puttering around on side quests that provide "background" but are mostly irrelevant. 

It is just pretty unusual for this to happen in season 1 (usually this is a mid-series slump kinda problem) and for it to happen to the title character.  Which is why I joked that the series should have been called Yennifer, because she was the one who had the clearest arc and who was making important decisions that drive the plot forward towards the season's climax. 

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Witcher 3 game kind of is that. The ultimate battle is between Ciri and the evil force threatening the world. Geralt’s only role is to make the correct “decisions” so that Ciri doesn’t end up dead.

The whole saga is essentially about a grumpy old Witcher who reluctantly gets a friend, a girlfriend and a surrogate daughter. It’s a romcom.

• 2 weeks later...

Netflix confirms The Witcher’s new cast: Francesca, Nivellen, Eskel and more
https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/02/21/witcher-new-cast-francesca-eskel-and-more/
https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/02/21/the-witcher-casts-francescas-brother-in-season-2/

• Yasen Atour (Young Wallender) as Coen
  • Agnes Bjorn as Vereena
  • Paul Bullion (Peaky Blinders) as Lambert
  • Thue Ersted Rasmussen (Fast and Furious 9) as Eskel
  • Aisha Fabienne Ross (The Danish Girl) as Lydia
  • Kristofer Hivju (Game of Thrones) as Nivellen
  • Mecia Simson as Francesca

An Army of Elves is filming for The Witcher Season 2 (Exclusive)
https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/02/20/an-army-of-elves-is-filming-for-the-witcher-season-2/

• 2 weeks later...

He’ll be joining eight new additions to the cast, which currently consist of:

• Yasen Atour (Young Wallender) as the witcher Coen
  • Thue Ersted Rasmussen (Fast and Furious 9) as the witcher Eskel
  • Paul Bullion (Peaky Blinders) as the witcher Lambert
  • Kristofer Hivju (Game of Thrones) as Nivellen, a cursed man
  • Agnes Bjorn as Vereena, a bruxa (or vampire) involved with Nivellen
  • Aisha Fabienne Ross (The Danish Girl) as Lydia, assistant to Vilgefortz
  • Mecia Simson as Francesca, a sorceress and elven queen
  • Carmel Laniado as Violet, “a young girl whose playful and whimsical demeanour is a front for a smarter and more sadistic character”

Reads like there's going to be a lot more witchers in season 2. Flashback or "present" could be both and not defined in this show. Seeing more of them should give more info on whether they have uniform behaviour and powers or if geralt is just an odd one

Well, in the books we don't really see any of them in the real action. They just talk a bit, plus taking part in Ciri's training. But I can imagine writers changing quite a bit of the source material here.

They're all present, Kaer Morhen is the witcher's refuge after all (even if only Vesemir lives there constantly.

6 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Well, in the books we don't really see any of them in the real action. They just talk a bit, plus taking part in Ciri's training. But I can imagine writers changing quite a bit of the source material here.

They're all present, Kaer Morhen is the witcher's refuge after all (even if only Vesemir lives there constantly.

The only time I remember the books showing a Witcher other than Geralt outside of Kaer Morhen was Coen at the battle of Brenna

• 3 months later...

‘The Witcher’ Season 2 To Resume UK Shoot August 17
https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-witcher-season-2-resume-uk-shoot-august-17-1202965882/

The second season of Netflix series The Witcher will go back into production on August 17, the streamer announced today.

The restart is symbolic given that The Witcher was one of the first major shows to shut down in mid-March, when the coronavirus pandemic swept through the UK film and TV business.

Deadline first revealed that the show’s UK shoot was halted. The same day, cast member Kristofer Hivju also tested positive for the virus, leading the streamer to conduct a deep-clean of the set to prevent further infection.

Slowly but surely we are starting to see some major UK projects head back into production on Brit shores.The Witcher shoots at Arborfield Studios, which is around 40 miles west of London.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Filming of The Witcher’s Season 2 to continue into 2021

https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/07/21/filming-of-the-witchers-season-2-to-continue-into-2021/

Redanian Intelligence has learned that filming of The Witcher Season 2 is currently planned to last until February 2021. As we always say, schedules are rarely ever set in stone and in the end the production could wrap up several days or even weeks earlier or later. Regardless, the current plan is now known and it makes things a little bit clearer.

As you will remember, filming will resume on August 17 this year. Wrapping up by February 2021 would mean an extended filming schedule. The overall filming time for Season 2 would be around 8 months including the five weeks that they did before the lockdown. Previously, Season 2 was scheduled to be filmed only for five and a half months from February 2020 to August 2020.

So, when will The Witcher Season 2 be released?

We reported sometime ago that Platige Image, one of The Witcher‘s VFX studios, planned to complete their work by July 2021. Similarly, they completed their work for Season 1 by November 2019 and the show premiered in December 2019. It wouldn’t be a big stretch to assume that Netflix currently plans to release Season 2 around August 2021. Especially since Season 1 had a similar 6-7 month period of post-production.

Star Wars creator’s VFX studio working on The Witcher and more about VFX in Season 2
https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/07/21/industrial-light-magic-working-on-the-witcher-and-more-about-vfx-in-season-2/

The Witcher language creator David Peterson publishes extensive material including information about a mysterious new character
https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/07/19/the-witcher-language-creator-publishes-extensive-material-including-information-about-a-mysterious-new-character/

Henry Cavill teases The Witcher Season 2 fight scene: Here’s what it could be
https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/08/21/henry-cavill-teases-the-witcher-season-2-fight-scene-heres-what-it-could-be/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Netflix halts production of The Witcher again

https://redanianintelligence.com/2020/11/07/breaking-netflix-halts-production-of-the-witcher-again/

filming has been halted again as four people within the production crew have been tested positive for COVID-19, Deadline has confirmed. Filming is set to resume whenever they are confident that the studio is safe again. No exact dates are known yet.

Additionally, Deadline reports that the four people in question are not among the cast and have been isolated.

• 4 months later...

Archived