Reviving the dead

• 2 weeks later...

Spoiler for Storm of Swords:

Spoiler

Beric Dondarion was brought back to life multiple times due to the magic / divine influence /whatever of Thoros of Myr. 

Spoiler for Feast for Crows:

Spoiler

Beric somehow brings Catelyn back to a semblence of life in the form of Lady Stoneheart.

On 12/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, Anthony Appleyard said:

I seem to remember that, once or a few times, in the books, a dead man or woman is revived, i.e. made properly alive again, not as a Wight or otherwise "undead". Please, did this happen? If so, where and when did it happen?

Beric and Cat didn't exactly come back normal.  They are steadily rotting away, physically and mentally.  The difference with most of the wights we've encountered in the north is the reviver's has taken away all of their will.  The White Walkers are better at it than Thoros.  They know how to control their zombies.  Thoros could do the same.  If he knew how.  He's a novice.  The WW are experts.  Even they screw up.  Coldhands is a zombie who remembered his life.  There is no cheating death.  

9 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

Beric and Cat didn't exactly come back normal.  They are steadily rotting away, physically and mentally.  The difference with most of the wights we've encountered in the north is the reviver's has taken away all of their will.  The White Walkers are better at it than Thoros.  They know how to control their zombies.  Thoros could do the same.  If he knew how.  He's a novice.  The WW are experts.  Even they screw up.  Coldhands is a zombie who remembered his life.  There is no cheating death.  

How successful are revivals performed by Melisandre?

Just now, Anthony Appleyard said:

How successful are revivals performed by Melisandre?

Beric and Cat are wights too... only they're fire wights instead of ice wights. 

No one has been revived, not properly, where they come back as a normal living being. 

As to Mel's resurrections, we haven't seen any yet.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Beric and Cat are wights too... only they're fire wights instead of ice wights. 

No one has been revived, not properly, where they come back as a normal living being. 

As to Mel's resurrections, we haven't seen any yet.

I have read rumors that in the book storyline, Jon Snow, after he was killed, was (or will be) brought back to life by Melisandre.

1 hour ago, Anthony Appleyard said:

I have read rumors that in the book storyline, Jon Snow, after he was killed, was (or will be) brought back to life by Melisandre.

Some think Mel will bring him back. However, up until now Mel hasn't resurrected anyone. Nor have we seen her even thinking about it. IRT Jon, I don't think he died, so I don't think he will need to be resurrected. 

4 hours ago, Anthony Appleyard said:

That's the thing on TV, not the books, so there's an assumption that the same will happen. There's good indication that Jon has warged into Ghost, so that would already set him apart from Beric who was resurrected 7 times and Lady Stoneheart who was dead for 3 days and the wights that the Others make. 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That's the thing on TV, not the books, so there's an assumption that the same will happen. There's good indication that Jon has warged into Ghost, so that would already set him apart from Beric who was resurrected 7 times and Lady Stoneheart who was dead for 3 days and the wights that the Others make. 

Yeah, exactly, I think the main problem Beric had was multiple deaths and Cat was so dead Thoros warned Beric not to try. I don't think there's evidence a potential Jon res by fire would be as negative. They do seem to be very purpose driven though and maybe that would carry through with Jon as a fire undead as well. 1) Beric - follow the King's orders to disarm the unlawful combatants. 2) UnCat - revenge on the Frey's and Lannister's for their treachery. 3) UnJon? - unite the kingdom against the white walkers?

14 minutes ago, Marakesh said:

Yeah, exactly, I think the main problem Beric had was multiple deaths and Cat was so dead Thoros warned Beric not to try. I don't think there's evidence a potential Jon res by fire would be as negative. They do seem to be very purpose driven though and maybe that would carry through with Jon as a fire undead as well. 1) Beric - follow the King's orders to disarm the unlawful combatants. 2) UnCat - revenge on the Frey's and Lannister's for their treachery. 3) UnJon? - unite the kingdom against the white walkers?

I don't think we'll have an "UnJon" because of the sort of magics that we have at the Wall and inside the Wall. I think it will be a mix of both Mel's fire magic powered by whatever magic we got inside the Wall. I think it's the duality that's important.

We don't even know if Jon is actually dead, or not. 

Archived