Sign in to follow this  
Leap

First Quarter 2020 Reading

Posted (edited)

Camus and the plague -- you all are tough!

I continue engrossed in 1) the Indian Uprising against the East India Company of 1857-59 (and watching some Indian films that deal with Indian history); 2) the reign of Edward III; 3) The Diaries of John Quincy Adams.

It's almost impossible to believe it's still the first quarter -- only the last day of March.  I've been physical distancing and isolating since the 1st, though really locking down with mask, gloves, disinfecting and so on since abut the 14th.

Edited by Zorral

So in looking through the kindle deals available in the UK I saw Jay Kristoff's StormDancer. I'd heard that it wasn't great but it's only a quid, why not give it a try? It's not like I don't have time. So, er, yeah, it's really not great. I'd definitely not recommend reading it.

Next up in the search for escapist reading I'm going to try getting back into the Jack Reacher series. I read a few of them years ago and liked them but I can't remember were I got up to and I've put off buying another book because I don't want to get one I've already read. I've had a look through my books and the latest one I can find is Persuader so I'll reread that and start from there. 

Finished A Little Hatred awhile back.  That was a good read, and a solid opening to the new trilogy.  The ending was very unsurprising though.

After that I read The October Man by Ben Aaronovitch.  It was a fun little book, but Tobi felt pretty similar to Peter.  And I do wish he had explored a different type of

genius loci.  Kelly was interesting though, would have loved to learn more about her direct descendant (and how that will relate to Peter's and Beverly's situation).  It was also interesting how much info they have about the British goings on - I wonder if Tobi knows the name of Peter's dog?  I did laugh about the allusion that he's a cat person at the end of the book.

And now I'm reading False Value also be Aaronovitch.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

After that I read The October Man by Ben Aaronovitch.  It was a fun little book, but Tobi felt pretty similar to Peter.  And I do wish he had explored a different type of

Hide contents

genius loci.  Kelly was interesting though, would have loved to learn more about her direct descendant (and how that will relate to Peter's and Beverly's situation).  It was also interesting how much info they have about the British goings on - I wonder if Tobi knows the name of Peter's dog?  I did laugh about the allusion that he's a cat person at the end of the book.

I liked it, but I agree that some aspects did feel unnecessarily similar to Peter's story, there could have been a bit more variety.

Posted (edited)

Got distracted from Robin Hobb (sorry Robin, I'll get back to you shortly!) by The French Quarter: An Informal History of the New Orleans Underworld by Herbert Asbury. It even manages to include a person of some personal interest to me - the infamous banker John Law, who is credited with having come up with the idea of a fiat currency before we had a name for it. It's a good little book, and an interesting history of a city I've sadly only visited once in my life (as a young child, a few years after we left the Soviet Union). 

Edited by IlyaP

4 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Finished Camus' Plague. Loved it.

Next up is A Journal of the Plague Year, by Daniel Defoe.

(Why, yes, there is a theme here...).

I listened to a podcast with John M. Barry, the author of The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History. It was morbidly and eerily fascinating. And equally frustrating that we are seemingly repeating some of the mistakes of 1918. I have added the title to my TBR list.

Currently about 3/4 through Mark Kurlansky's A Basque History of the World. Fairly light overview of Basque History and culture. Interesting.