International Thread 4

Tywin Manderly

On 1/30/2020 at 1:16 PM, Zorral said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/china-coronavirus-live-updates/2020/01/30/1da6ea52-4302-11ea-b5fc-eefa848cde99_story.html

Mayor de Blasio says, with NYC having the largest Asian population anywhere outside of Asia, the question about coronavirus breaking out here isn't 'if' but 'when.'  Masks are useless, but as with other contagious infections, all the same other precautions apply, such as careful coughing and washing hands, and keeping hands off face.

But Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says how good for us the plague will be.

...."that China’s loss might be America’s gain, because the coronavirus outbreak could prompt employers to move jobs to the United States. ow good this will be for the US."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html?

What a gigantic douchebag.  Regarding this comment and his climate change comment.  This is simply further confirmation that Trump surrounds himself with terrible, terrible, people.

34 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The British people who have been evacuated from China are being quarantined about 10 minutes from my house and I play rugby with a guy who works at the hospital. I might have to start investing in baked beans.

The risk does not come from the people in quarantine.  And particularly not from those who were quarantined the instant they got off the plane.

On 1/30/2020 at 5:35 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Anyway, in possibly good news about the virus, this one, so far, is the least deadly of the zoonotic viruses to cause outbreaks in the last 50 years.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-wuhan-coronavirus-compares-to-other-outbreaks-pandemics-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

This article is nonsense.  Sounds like someone's trying to reassure investors.  You can't compare the current case-count to the total deaths, in a rapidly-spreading infection, and assume the resulting so-called "death rate" is comparable to other epidemics that have run their course.  The vast majority of the infected are the more-recently infected.  They may still die; they just have not been sick long enough to have the chance.

Until recently, the death count outnumbered the cure count.  Did that mean the mortality rate was over 50%?  Again, no, because the data is preliminary.  Just as most patients haven't had time to die, most have not had time to get well either (which tends to take a little longer).  Recently though, as the disease progressed, the cure count has picked up and outstripped the death count.  I imagine the final data will be significantly lower than 40%, and significantly higher than 2%

Though it could be the most contagious, or possibly 2nd behind H1N1.

Yeah.  That too.  So even if this were less deadly, per case, than the others, it could still end up killing more people.

Wuhan Coronavirus:  +45 new deaths brings the count to 258, out of 11,000 infections in Mainland China.  This update is based on added numbers from Hubei province alone (the epicenter).  I think we have yet to hear from the rest of Mainland China.

Edit:  259 dead; 11,337 infections.

8 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Beans are a human right that everyone must have unlimited access to!

No matter the cost in lives to make it happen. 

It sounds like you were talking about freedom fries, but misspelled said fries with this "beans" term.

As this is the international thread it is perfectly correct to say here: "Refried beans are one the greatest gifts to humanity, particularly with rice and chili and cheese.  And eggs.  And tortillas."

All beans, however, are great gifts.  Though, I confess, I'm not so fond of either green beans (haricots, string beans, whatever your community calls them), or lima beans.  Do not like lima beans at all.  Gimme chickpeas any time instead, or just because.  Love chickpeas too.

21 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What a gigantic douchebag.  Regarding this comment and his climate change comment.  This is simply further confirmation that Trump surrounds himself with terrible, terrible, people.

It did not take long for this outbreak to turn into a negative commentary on Trump.  Nobody has yet said a word about the CCP.  A reminder of where I am, I guess.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

China.

Though China was mentioned as being an authoritarian country only a couple pages back.   

There has been a fair amount of discussion of China.  The exchange asking whether this outbreak starting in a nation not unwilling to use force to enforce quarantine was just one example.

Archived