Favorite characters

Nagini's Neville

1. Tywin ( Embodiment of pragmatism and efficiency, can't help but love him)

2. Jaime ( Maybe the most complex character in the series in my opinion)

3. Arya ( She's just a child but I like her story and the way she tries to find her place)

4. Euron ( Not too much material on him but the few we got made me hype this one)

5. Brienne ( Don't know why but I like her chapters the most )

6. Tyrion ( He was my favorite one when ruling in KL. Still very good character)

7. Varys ( One of the best players, can't wait to learn more about his plans)

8. Littlefinger ( Ruthless, intelligent and cunning. Makes a great enemy for anyone)

9. Cercei ( I just love when she screws up things. Her rash actions cause real threat to others)

10. Aegon ( I just seem to root for him and his cause. For what material we have, I believe him to be good ruler)

I generally enjoy and like most characters in the books so might have forgotten someone.  

5 minutes ago, Showtime said:

1. Tywin ( Embodiment of pragmatism and efficiency, can't help but love him)

2. Jaime ( Maybe the most complex character in the series in my opinion)

3. Arya ( She's just a child but I like her story and the way she tries to find her place)

4. Euron ( Not too much material on him but the few we got made me hype this one)

5. Brienne ( Don't know why but I like her chapters the most )

6. Tyrion ( He was my favorite one when ruling in KL. Still very good character)

7. Varys ( One of the best players, can't wait to learn more about his plans)

8. Littlefinger ( Ruthless, intelligent and cunning. Makes a great enemy for anyone)

9. Cercei ( I just love when she screws up things. Her rash actions cause real threat to others)

10. Aegon ( I just seem to root for him and his cause. For what material we have, I believe him to be good ruler)

I generally enjoy and like most characters in the books so might have forgotten someone.  

Thank you!! Maybe you could give us your insight into jaime. We are debating him rn in 

I absolutely love the Brienne chapters too. We get a seldom insight into what is life like for the smallfolk(at least a little) And I love Brienne and also Pod and Meribald. Her chapters are really moving to me

1. Arya - I know she is turning into a dark person & I don't want her to be eaten up by revenge but I understand her & love reading her chapters.

2. Jon Snow - I know he is debated a lot but I find him to be honest & loyal. 

3. Tyrion - he's funny. Some of the things he says crack me up & while he has done some horrendous things & I don't always understand why he is also a very interesting character IMO. 

4. Sansa - my heart aches for her. She is a little bratty in the beginning but she is just a little girl & she gets hit with the reality of things like a freight train. 

5. Davos - I always enjoy a good underdog & love that he is a smuggler that has been promoted to hand of the King & all the snobby royals get mad about it. Also, while I don't agree with Stannis all the time there is no doubt Davos is as loyal as they come. 

6. Theon - I've never hated a character so much to then turn around & feel so sorry for them later. He's very well written. 

7. Jaime - he is funny also & even though he has done some terrible things, like Tyrion he is interesting to read. I never, ever, thought when I read about Jaime shoving Bran from that window that I would come to like him. 

8. Khal Drogo - I can't really even say what it is I like about him so much (although Jason Momoa may have a little to do with it) other than my favorite Dany chapters are while she is with the Dothraki. Learning about their culture & way of life is interesting also. 

9. Tywin - he's crude but cultured. He's cool & calm but vicious & intimidating. Not a good guy but usually a logical one. 

10. Cersei - ahh what a nut case! She is so interesting to read though & I guess the mother in me appeals to the mother in her also. 

11 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

8. Khal Drogo - I can't really even say what it is I like about him so much (although Jason Momoa may have a little to do with it) other than my favorite Dany chapters are whole she is with the Dothraki. Learning about their culture & way of life is interesting also. 

Khal Drogo? whaaaat? haha I only got through Dany's early chapters, because someone spoiled his death for me. The whole time I was thinking "die already, die already" and was happy, when he finally did. To this day among the hardest chapters for me to reread.

I love Cersei too. I don't like her, but she is just so crazy and interesting. extremely well-written imo. Now and then I catch myself really feeling for her and understanding her and then... she has another conversation with Qyburn :ack: and I'm questioning, if reading about her insanity made me insane too 

1-Robb - He was young, brave, inspiring, his cause was just he was competent enough to be a threat to the big bad Tywin, he was human enough to make mistakes that are relatable. He was forced on a situation that he didn't started throw to the lions and betrayed by everyone and he still was fighting till the end.

2- Eddard - Kind, honorable, brave and a idiot, what is there to not like? Eddard doomed all his family with his choice, but even then it was made in a attempt to spare 3 kids.

3- Theon- Theon was unsuforable at the start, but once you get his POV you start to relate to his identity dilema, he is divided by two houses, but does not belong to either, he is the most tragic character in the books and has endured more than anyone else, he deserved a got deal of that, but at this point death would be a kindness to him. It's hard to not feel sympathy for him.

4- Arya - Her rage and anger are really relatable, for a 9 years old she faced much trouble and overcomed them all. 

5- Euron - He killed the dumbest and most unlikeble character of all... Balon. That's it, he barely started his arc and he is more entertaining than 90% of the characters.

6- Tyrion - He is fun, his dialogues are great, he won me over when he send Slynt to the wall. He is not on the top 5 because I fell that he has too much plot armor and this really bothers me.

7- Davon- I pitty him for staying so close to ungratfull prick like Stannis, but Davos never complains about his situation, he is pragmatic and responsable, he is not entitled for his deeds and his desires are also relatable.

8- Oberyn - Every time he was present he steal the focus, his backstory is great, his dialogues are really well written, his cause is more than just, it's really a pit that he meeted his doom so quickly.

9- Tywin- He was a monster, but he is entertaining, his motives and set of actions makes perfect sense, his backstory is great, you know that he is the best one to rule the kingdom, but he also a awful human being that deserver what he got ten times over.

10- Dunk- This is not cheating right? lol.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Peres said:

1-Robb - He was young, brave, inspiring, his cause was just he was competent enough to be a threat to the big bad Tywin, he was human enough to make mistakes that are relatable. He was forced on a situation that he didn't started throw to the lions and betrayed by everyone and he still was fighting till the end.

2- Eddard - Kind, honorable, brave and a idiot, what is there to not like? Eddard doomed all his family with his choice, but even then it was made in a attempt to spare 3 kids.

3- Theon- Theon was unsuforable at the start, but once you get his POV you start to relate to his identity dilema, he is divided by two houses, but does not belong to either, he is the most tragic character in the books and has endured more than anyone else, he deserved a got deal of that, but at this point death would be a kindness to him. It's hard to not feel sympathy for him.

4- Arya - Her rage and anger are really relatable, for a 9 years old she faced much trouble and overcomed them all. 

5- Euron - He killed the dumbest and most unlikeble character of all... Balon. That's it, he barely started his arc and he is more entertaining than 90% of the characters.

6- Tyrion - He is fun, his dialogues are great, he won me over when he send Slynt to the wall. He is not on the top 5 because I fell that he has too much plot armor and this really bothers me.

7- Davon- I pitty him for staying so close to ungratfull prick like Stannis, but Davos never complains about his situation, he is pragmatic and responsable, he is not entitled for his deeds and his desires are also relatable.

8- Oberyn - Every time he was present he steal the focus, his backstory is great, his dialogues are really well written, his cause is more than just, it's really a pit that he meeted his doom so quickly.

9- Tywin- He was a monster, but he is entertaining, his motives and set of actions makes perfect sense, his backstory is great, you know that he is the best one to rule the kingdom, but he also a awful human being that deserver what he got ten times over.

10- Dunk- This is not cheating right? lol.

I was hoping you would comment :) Merci very much! Very interesting!

10 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Who are your 10 favorite characters and why?  If there is an order, in which order? 

1. Daenerys Targaryen.  I just love her.  She is the reason why I stuck with the books all these years despite the long wait period. Love her character, love her story.
  2. Barristan Selmy.  He is what a knight should be. 
  3. Greyworm.  The backstory of the making of an unsullied soldier is interesting and this man rose above all of that to become a leader.
  4. Khal Drogo
  5. Jorah Mormont
  6. Brienne of Tarth
  7. Skahaz Mo Kandaq
  8. Missandei
  9. Catelyn
  10. Daario Naharis

Those are my favorites in order.

2 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:
  1. Daenerys Targaryen.  I just love her.  She is the reason why I stuck with the books all these years despite the long wait period. Love her character, love her story.
  3. Greyworm.  The backstory of the making of an unsullied soldier is interesting and this man rose above all of that to become a leader.
  4. Khal Drogo
  5. Jorah Mormont
  6. Brienne of Tarth
  7. Skahaz Mo Kandaq
  8. Missandei
  9. Catelyn
  10. Daario Naharis

Man, Khal Drogo again? haha I had such a hard time reading all the chapters, when he was still alive. But started to love Dany's story when he was finally dead. Since she's your favorite, can I ask you, do you consider their story a love story?

7 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Man, Khal Drogo again? haha I had such a hard time reading all the chapters, when he was still alive. But started to love Dany's story when he was finally dead. Since she's your favorite, can I ask you, do you consider their story a love story?

The author is not really a romantic.  Romance tend to end in disappointment.  Drogo was an early chapter in the long story of a heroine.  He's just somebody who contributed strength to Dany's childhood.  But he is still an interesting character in his own right.  Here is a Dothraki horselord who was going to break tradition to cross the oceans to deliver a throne to his Targaryen wife and their son.

9 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:
  4. Khal Drogo
  5. Jorah Mormont
  6. Brienne of Tarth
  7. Skahaz Mo Kandaq
  8. Missandei
  9. Catelyn
  10. Daario Naharis

Could you maybe elaborate on what you like about Dany so much? I find her one of the most interesting and fascinating characters in asoiaf. She is still sort of an enigma to me. I find it hard to relate to her, or to really figure her out. But that doesn't make me like her any less or be less invested in her character. Quite the opposite, that makes her journey and character development suspenseful to me. I know we all don't have dragons and aren't queens, but do you find her to be a realistic portray of a girl her age, can you relate to her?

What were the little moments or big moments, that really endeared her to you? Did you like her right from the start?

Feel free to answer what you like (but I guess this is how that works anyway LOL)

5 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Could you maybe elaborate on what you like about Dany so much? I find her one of the most interesting and fascinating characters in asoiaf. She is still sort of an enigma to me. I find it hard to relate to her, or to really figure her out. But that doesn't make me like her any less or be less invested in her character. Quite the opposite, that makes her journey and character development suspenseful to me. I know we all don't have dragons and aren't queens, but do you find her to be a realistic portray of a girl her age, can you relate to her?

What were the little moments or big moments, that really endeared her to you? Did you like her right from the start?

Feel free to answer what you like (but I guess this is how that works anyway LOL)

Daenerys is one of the greatest characters in fiction that I have ever read.  She is the ideal ruler.  She has the type of strength and discipline to carry through with an important reform like helping the slaves.  She can put her personal goal aside in order to help better the lives of people who she doesn't owe anything to and will likely never be able to pay her back.  She has a moral compass that many of the other characters lacked.  She is the most exciting person to read about: most beautiful girl on the planet, Mother of dragons, Mhysa, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Khaleesi. 

Being relatable is not a factor because I am an average woman.  Daenerys has greatness.  She is the stuff able rulers are made of. 

She has been my favorite character from her first chapter.  I love her story.  The preparation for her wedding.  I became her fan during that chapter.

8 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The author is not really a romantic.  Romance tend to end in disappointment.  Drogo was an early chapter in the long story of a heroine.  He's just somebody who contributed strength to Dany's childhood.  But he is still an interesting character in his own right.  Here is a Dothraki horselord who was going to break tradition to cross the oceans to deliver a throne to his Targaryen wife and their son.

Hm, okay I see. I guess "He's just somebody who contributed strength to Dany's childhood." just absolutely makes my stomach turn.

Dunno if I'd phrase it that way, but I see what you mean. In the end that path let her to have some power and agency over her own life.

I just always thought it was weird, that she never had any PTSD from being raped, when she was so young

3 minutes ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Daenerys is one of the greatest characters in fiction that I have ever read.  She is the ideal ruler.  She has the type of strength and discipline to carry through with an important reform like helping the slaves.  She can put her personal goal aside in order to help better the lives of people who she doesn't owe anything to and will likely never be able to pay her back.  She has a moral compass that many of the other characters lacked.  She is the most exciting person to read about: most beautiful girl on the planet, Mother of dragons, Mhysa, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Khaleesi. 

sounds like you are in love :) 

Do you find her relatable? realistic?

2 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Hm, okay I see. I guess "He's just somebody who contributed strength to Dany's childhood." just absolutely makes my stomach turn.

Dunno if I'd phrase it that way, but I see what you mean. In the end that path let her to have some power and agency over her own life.

I just always thought it was weird, that she never had any PTSD from being raped, when she was so young

She only had Viserys to compare Khal Drogo too.  She romanticised her life among the Dothraki.

4 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

People are different in how they choose to respond to trauma.  There is some agency there.  Daenerys became stronger because she is resourceful.  Drogo took advantage of her and it would be rape by our standards.  She is strong though and used an adverse situation to her advantage.  Now she is fighting the slavers to give freedom to the millions of the enslaved.

Compare this to how Arya reacted to her father's death.  Arya chose the way of darkness.  Revenge. 

6 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

sounds like you are in love :) 

Do you find her relatable? realistic?

Being relatable has nothing to do with it.  She is a larger-than-life character.  Like a Supergirl type.  Realistic, well this is fantasy and it takes a very special person to hatch dragons from stone.  Daenerys and Bran are on a different realm than the other characters.  They have to be stronger and better disciplined.

Archived