Favorite characters

Nagini's Neville

1. Dany
  2. Brienne
  3. Missandei
  4. Visenya
  5. Cersei

All of them are girl power.  Missandei is the lone meek female but she has other talents.  I like subtle use of power and Bri and Cersei are crude but powerful women all the same.  Bri has no cunning.  Cersei is all cunning. 

6-10 Arriane, Catelyn, Duncan, Quentyn, Jon Connington. 

Cersei is an example of somebody who has a lot of practical cunning.  She is not an intellect but she knows how to fight and that in the end is more important than too much philosophy.  She knows how to kick ass.  She may not go in my 10 List but she is a fierce lioness who has bested the Starks and the Baratheons at every turn.  

Missandei is a cool little kid.  I like her too.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:17 PM, Lollygag said:

Jon's not turning into Ned, Dany's not turning into Mad Aerys, Arya's not turning into Stoneheart, Bran's not turning into Bloodraven, and Sansa's not turning into Cersei or Littlefinger. GRRM's not so lazy of a writer as to mindlessly turn a character into one he's already written. 

How dull. 

Jon is turning into Ned, if he is a baby sacrificing Targ or save children at any cost Ned Stark is his arc. If Dany is mad, Arya is stonehearted, or Bran can not let go a grudge are all questions that will be asked and answered, and these curtain raiser characters exist for the very purpose of delineating a position in the contemporary character's arc. If Sansa is Cersei is another such question, and before it climaxes and is answered Sansa will have gone a long way down that path. The whole next book at least.

18 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

She may not go in my 10 List but she is a fierce lioness who has bested the Starks and the Baratheons at every turn.  

Ofc she has, she has incredibly well thought and at all dependant of a star alignment as the Strongwine plot, she bested the Starks... By Ned spilling out the truth and LF delivering to her the Gold  Cloaks and let's not remember how she bested the Baratheons, she quickly realized that Margaery would bring  the Tyrells to her cause and quickly gained Dorne to her side with Myrce. 

Let's not talk about her incredibly cunning plans as sole regent of Tommen...

Don't know Cersei, as the rest of her House, had the luck of having Tyrion on their side while she and her father tried to mess  with him at every turn. Had it not been for Tyrion's role as Hand in ACOK and had Cersei actually ruled there...

6 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Jon is turning into Ned, if he is a baby sacrificing Targ or save children at any cost Ned Stark is his arc. If Dany is mad, Arya is stonehearted, or Bran can not let go a grudge are all questions that will be asked and answered, and these curtain raiser characters exist for the very purpose of delineating a position in the contemporary character's arc. If Sansa is Cersei is another such question, and before it climaxes and is answered Sansa will have gone a long way down that path. The whole next book at least.

A parallel or two =/= one character being cheaply slapped onto another. There's loads of character parallels in the books and typically there are several parallels to different characters going on at once and if you do a careful break down of most character arcs at any given time, the list of parallels can look like a Frankensteined mess. 

Jon has and will again parallel Ned and a lot of other characters through the course of the books. He will not become Ned or any other character. Same with the others. It's a very important distinction. 

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

A parallel or two =/= one character being cheaply slapped onto another. There's loads of character parallels in the books and typically there are several parallels to different characters going on at once and if you do a careful break down of most character arcs at any given time, the list of parallels can look like a Frankensteined mess. 

Jon has and will again parallel Ned and a lot of other characters through the course of the books. He will not become Ned or any other character. Same with the others. It's a very important distinction. 

They're not parallels or obscure references, they're point blank part of their arcs and in specific thematic ways, often the main meat. Before Jon comes to his climactic decision he will know Targs sacrificed children for their dragons, and that Ned at every turn held an innocent child's life above all else. Arya will see Stoneheart and recognise herself in it before deciding to turn from the path. Dany will be literally called the mad queen after her father and have to face the only thing she fears head on.

In pursuit of her own power Sansa will play a role in ushering in the dance of dragons that will so ravish the realm, she will manipulate and betray the innocent and deserving alike before she's faced with the plain decision at the end of the story of putting the realm first, in a manner Cersei and LF would not have. And so my question, will the Sansa fans become denialists and apologists for the coming wreck she will leave in her wake (assuming the timeline gets that far in Winds), or turn on GRRM.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:30 AM, chrisdaw said:

They're not parallels or obscure references, they're point blank part of their arcs and in specific thematic ways, often the main meat. Before Jon comes to his climactic decision he will know Targs sacrificed children for their dragons, and that Ned at every turn held an innocent child's life above all else. Arya will see Stoneheart and recognise herself in it before deciding to turn from the path. Dany will be literally called the mad queen after her father and have to face the only thing she fears head on.

In pursuit of her own power Sansa will play a role in ushering in the dance of dragons that will so ravish the realm, she will manipulate and betray the innocent and deserving alike before she's faced with the plain decision at the end of the story of putting the realm first, in a manner Cersei and LF would not have. And so my question, will the Sansa fans become denialists and apologists for the coming wreck she will leave in her wake (assuming the timeline gets that far in Winds), or turn on GRRM.

This is unconvincing headcanon. Unless you're really GRRM, the certainty isn't appropriate.

I don't disagree that Sansa or any character may turn very dark, but it won't be slapping an old character on a new one beyond the way parallels are currently used in the books.

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

This is unconvincing headcanon. Unless you're really GRRM, the certainty isn't appropriate.

I don't disagree that Sansa or any character may turn very dark, but it won't be slapping an old character on a new one beyond the way parallels are currently used in the books.

I described particularly in what way she will become Cersei along with how the other "parallel" characters relate to the contemporaries, continuing to describe the relationships as slapping as an old character on a new one and taking issue with it is just, whatever. Irrelevant.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:16 PM, Texas Hold Em said:

1.   Daenerys Targaryen - Reading her chapters is the highlight of the series for me.  I root for Dany to win the game of thrones and rule for as long as she would care to.  She has outsmarted a lot of men and I like that.  

2.   Margery Tyrell - Another woman who uses her head.  She escaped a bomb when Joffrey died.  I would have liked to see how she would handle that marriage.  

3.   Missandei - She's a wonderful supporting person to the Khaleesi.  Her skills at language is amazing for her age.  

4.   Brienne - This big gal is not blessed in the brains department but her dedication to honor is admirable.  She's a tool and I don't find her chapters that good but she's got guts.

5.   Lord Walder Frey - I wish he had a point of view chapter.  A tough old man who takes a lot of crap and gives it right back.  

6.   Galazza Galare - A villain to be sure.  Another woman who uses her head and keeps power in a world typically dominated by sausages.  

7.   Jorah Mormont - One of the most thoroughly invented character.  His life before meeting the Targaryens and his transformation is what people really mean about a character going through changes.  I know he sold people to slavery for poaching but redemption is coming if he makes the choice to fight the slave masters.

8.   Tyrion Lannister - Is the real gray character.  His bitterness and self-loathing make him vulnerable to the bottle.  He needs a goal like a lot of young men do.  Aimlessness will be the death of him.  Daenerys will hopefully give him a purpose.  

9.   Gilly - I think this gal is set for the adventure of a lifetime if she makes it to Slaver's Bay with Marwyn.  There's a chance to learn to read during the long sea trip.  Quhuru Mo, Penny, and Gerold Dayne are three other minor people who I think will have larger roles in the future.

10. Qaithe - I don't want to spoil it for those who've not read "Fire And Blood".  Clues to her identity might be in those pages.  Let's leave it at that.

In the order listed, with #1 being the character I like best.  

Wine is not as good a preservative as high content alcohol.  Maester Aemon will be pickled but the preservation is not going to be good.  He could come out like Lady Stoneheart in this instance.  

What an interesting journey for a wildling like Gilly.  Surely though she would be smart enough to ask to get off the boat before it sets out again.  She's ignorant but that is beyond.  

On 1/12/2020 at 8:39 PM, Sweet Desire said:

1. Daenerys Targaryen. I like a lot of fictional characters but Dany hit me differently. She's so fascinating, deep, empathetic and polarizing. In my opinion Daenerys is the biggest fictional character created ever. I love HER!

2. Rakharo.

3. Irri.

4. Jhiqui.

5. Maester Aemon.

6. Missandei.

7. Grey Worm.

8. Sor Barristan Selmy.

9. Margaery Tyrell.

10. Theon Greyjoy.

My ten would include Drogon, Viserion, and Rhaegal if non-humans are allowed for selection.  

Archived