Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

Total War: Three Kingdoms released the Mandate of Heaven DLC which gives a new starting point for the campaign, right before the start of the Yellow Turban Rebellion. (New characters, faction mechanics, and units, of course)

I attempted a Romance mode campaign with Liu Bei, who starts in a different spot and under different circumstances, and was crushed within 11 turns. Campaign difficulty "Hard." 

This will keep me occupied for some time.

17 hours ago, Werthead said:

It has an exclusivity period of a year, so the assumption is that XB1 and PC versions (and presumably PS5 and XB2 upgrades) will follow in 2021.

For The Witcher 3 you can finish the entire main game and both the DLCs in a combined run-through of around 88 hours, including all story side-quests but not all the optional treasure hunt stuff (which is my current record). However, I deliberately dialled down the combat to easy (when it's so easy as to be almost non existent). On a more moderate setting probably every fight in the game will be doubled in length, which would take the total probably close to 100 hours or over it.

Cyberpunk 2077 I can't really see being smaller. The map is reportedly similar in size but CP2077 has far more buildings you can go into and a ton more verticality to it.

I played on easy as well ('cause hacking up sponges isn't my idea of difficulty, and the combat mechanics are too clumsy for dodge-slash button-mashing to be enjoyable) and it took me 110 hours to get through 196 quests, almost half (?) of the 405 apparently available, though that includes all the main storylines for the main game and both DLCs. I did a bit of wandering and exploring between major quests, including treasure hunts and witcher contracts, which probably added to the time. I could see myself easily putting another 30-40 hours in just pursuing sidequests and stuff, W3 is the kind of game that grows on you, despite its clunkiness. 

According to youtube, the main quest can be completed in 2.5 hours (probably skipping all dialogue) and 100%'d in 20. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Total War: Three Kingdoms released the Mandate of Heaven DLC which gives a new starting point for the campaign, right before the start of the Yellow Turban Rebellion. (New characters, faction mechanics, and units, of course)

I attempted a Romance mode campaign with Liu Bei, who starts in a different spot and under different circumstances, and was crushed within 11 turns. Campaign difficulty "Hard." 

I believe in you.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I've been messing around with the MoH DLC and it seems neat. It's got quite a lot of bugs right now, which will hopefully be patched soon. Also, the 182 map is incredibly easy as Liu Hong even though its supposed to be Very Hard; the Han vassal swarm will quickly overwhelm the Yellow Turbans and its very easy as a player to get the Han Imperial Court in order. There really should be more hard triggers in it, like if you reduce the power of the Eunuchs too quickly they assassinate you and its game over.

But it's really cool to see CA messing around with historical events so much (a la a Koei RotTK game) to get the map from the 182 start date to the 190 start date during a campaign.

35 minutes ago, Fez said:

I've been messing around with the MoH DLC and it seems neat. It's got quite a lot of bugs right now, which will hopefully be patched soon. Also, the 182 map is incredibly easy as Liu Hong even though its supposed to be Very Hard; the Han vassal swarm will quickly overwhelm the Yellow Turbans and its very easy as a player to get the Han Imperial Court in order. There really should be more hard triggers in it, like if you reduce the power of the Eunuchs too quickly they assassinate you and its game over.

But it's really cool to see CA messing around with historical events so much (a la a Koei RotTK game) to get the map from the 182 start date to the 190 start date during a campaign.

I've seen a review on that. Yes, with Liu Hong you can mostly coast on the military side, taking care of your court. But it could become challenging after the Yellow Turbans, since the campaign doesn't end just there. And those vassals increasingly become power angry and independent, potentially making the late game a challenge.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, Rhom said:

That’s an interesting take.  Don’t we all complain about publishers pushing games out before they are ready like Mass Effect Andromeda?  But then you also feel that pushing back a release date to have a more polished product is a negative?

Personally I'd rather wait for a great game than get a good one that's buggy as shit now.  There's always something worth playing during the wait and I never have enough time to play everything I want to as it is.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:47 PM, Werthead said:

Woah.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC. This is the first-ever Sony-developed-and-financed video game to be released on PC. Previously, independent developers like Square and Quantic Dream have been able to port games to PC after their Sony exclusivity period ends, but this is an actual arm of Sony releasing a game on PC.

I strongly suspect Sony will leverage the PlayStation Now service, adding a Steam-like download service, and make this an exclusive through there. We could see other Sony exclusives follow, with maybe the pattern being a year or so between release on the console and on PC. Things like Last of Us could theoretically follow.

This is unexpected and potentially huge.

Bloodborne next please. 

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Is Three Kingdoms worth it?

I've considered getting it, for the historical setting. But with Warhammer being such a great game that keeps getting DLCs and updates I can't see the point.

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

If I had no idea what you were talking about and only read this descriptor I'd think you were talking about the craziest idea for a game every.  :lol: 

I was laughing as I tried to describe that area.  Video games are crazy.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Is Three Kingdoms worth it?

I've considered getting it, for the historical setting. But with Warhammer being such a great game that keeps getting DLCs and updates I can't see the point.

It doesn't have the replayability of Warhammer, mainly because the factions have only small differences between them, and different starting positions don't offer much difference in challenges. But, what it lacks in this variety, it makes up in the complexity of the gameplay. Complex characters, the best diplomacy system of any TW game, interesting storylines when you play the campaign, interesting research tree... I never play multiplayer so I can't judge there. If playing Warhammer has kinda hooked you on fantasy, then you can play the Romance mode, where your characters are larger than life heroes, like in the Romance novel. If you're 100% just about history, then play the Records mode.

I certainly haven't played it as much as Warhammer II, and likely never will, but have no regrets buying it.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

It doesn't have the replayability of Warhammer, mainly because the factions have only small differences between them, and different starting positions don't offer much difference in challenges. But, what it lacks in this variety, it makes up in the complexity of the gameplay. Complex characters, the best diplomacy system of any TW game, interesting storylines when you play the campaign, interesting research tree... I never play multiplayer so I can't judge there. If playing Warhammer has kinda hooked you on fantasy, then you can play the Romance mode, where your characters are larger than life heroes, like in the Romance novel. If you're 100% just about history, then play the Records mode.

I certainly haven't played it as much as Warhammer II, and likely never will, but have no regrets buying it.

Yeah that ties into what I’ve heard.

My fear would be that total war games always struggle when trying to play out narratives,  because it always feels so tacked onto the basic gameplay mechanics.

Warhammer attempts it with Vortex and newer faction mechanics but it never feels integral. I end up going back to sandbox mode.

I even got Thrones of Britannia thinking it would be interesting but it really didn’t do a good job of telling a story either.

I'm like 40 hours in to Witcher 3 and still feel like I've barely scratched the surface.  Started skipping witcher contracts and treasure hunts, but there's so many other quests....  It's been really nice taking it on the bus and just knocking out quests 45 minutes at a time.  Also tends to avoid the inevitable time suck this game can have.

One thing that I did not expect is how much I love Gwent.  Have a deck for all of the different factions, but still utilizing the original one with added cards, focusing on cards to draw more cards.  Surprisingly deep sub-game.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

I'm like 40 hours in to Witcher 3 and still feel like I've barely scratched the surface.  Started skipping witcher contracts and treasure hunts, but there's so many other quests....  It's been really nice taking it on the bus and just knocking out quests 45 minutes at a time.  Also tends to avoid the inevitable time suck this game can have.

One thing that I did not expect is how much I love Gwent.  Have a deck for all of the different factions, but still utilizing the original one with added cards, focusing on cards to draw more cards.  Surprisingly deep sub-game.

I spent an ungodly amount of time collecting every single gwent card in the game.  So much fun.

Question to everyone: how do you handle HUD? 

I was starting to burn out on Assassin's Creed: Origins at around the 25 hour mark, in part because I had left the HUD on after noting its extreme limiting of gameplay assisstence early on. Unfortunately, even light/minimal HUD still ended up pushing me towards "fetch playing", where I'm chasing a symbol & number and only consciously noting the scenery; where I'm following a predetermined chain to hit the nodes of a (fairly slender) story. It felt like a grind, the specific Ubi-grind I'd heard of, as a seventh-generation novice.

Then I turned the HUD completely off, and it was like a completely different game. It's amazing how the utter lack of distracting symbols enhances immersion and pulls out the (really impressive) details of the open world. I also found myself enjoying the gameplay much more--instead of Ubisoft's handholding assistance, every area became loaded with tension and danger, and I had to play skillfully to be stealthy. 

The only problem with AC:O is that the HUD is not customizable, and so I have to turn it back on occasionally for specific quests to be completed with minimal frustration; in contrast, Horizon Zero Dawn's HUD options are really nice and specific. I did a whole New Game+ run without HUD for Horizon, and it enhanced the post-apocalyptic atmosphere so much that I can never see myself going back.

I read somewhere that Witcher 3 is optimal with no HUD, but that seems like such a vast game that some switching between the two might be necessary.

How is Red Dead Redemption 2 with/without HUD? I'm planning on playing that next -- would minimal/no HUD work in the early stages of the game, or should I get my bearings and the play mechanics down first? 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I spent an ungodly amount of time collecting every single gwent card in the game.  So much fun.

Me too. I didn’t play Gwent on my first play through and did on my second, and found myself obsessed with it. 

I recently watched a YT video ranking the hardest TW3 bosses. One in the top ten was the Wicked Witch. I played through twice and never came upon her, and that kinda sours me. Apparently she’s in the Blood and Wine expansion. I have to go back and search her out.

10 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Question to everyone: how do you handle HUD? 

I just finished the AC Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs dlc (which I enjoyed more than the normal game). I used the minimal option HUD. Info pops up and goes away in a few seconds. But it does show the destination constantly, which is fine for me. Especially on a huge map like the one Origins has. 

I’ve only played Odyssey and Origins out of all the AC games and found the grind in Origins to be way worse. The next main storyline quest would be like 3 levels above sometimes and that got annoying kinda early. I didn’t notice that in Odyssey as much, maybe because there was so much other shit to do.

On 1/17/2020 at 6:00 PM, Inigima said:

Bloodborne next please. 

Have you had a chance to play it at all? I love it so much, and I'm kind of shocked it hasn't come to PC at this point. 

Edit: General gaming comment, I just got Evoland on my phone, and I find this game so much fun! This is the first game I was able to get over how controls on phones work.

On 1/20/2020 at 12:44 PM, aceluby said:

The only thing I hate about Gwent is that it's a close to complete ripoff of a great card game called Condottieri and CD Projekt Red never gave any credit to them. I even remember reading a Witcher developer claim he had invented Gwent through a Eureka! moment in his bathttub. Pretty scummy, especially since Gwent now makes them a lot of money independently.

But it is a fun game in the Witcher 3 (though not as fun as Condotierri, which benefits from being more than a two player game). 

23 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The only thing I hate about Gwent is that it's a close to complete ripoff of a great card game called Condottieri and CD Projekt Red never gave any credit to them. I even remember reading a Witcher developer claim he had invented Gwent through a Eureka! moment in his bathttub. Pretty scummy, especially since Gwent now makes them a lot of money independently.

But it is a fun game in the Witcher 3 (though not as fun as Condotierri, which benefits from being more than a two player game). 

Yeah, i loved the witcher games, but the honeymoon face with CD projekt red is ending for me, with their not so good comments (tweets) on trans people, and with their crunching practicess, and this gwent thing (i didnt know about, thanks!) its like, pls, dont be this way. 

Archived