Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

On 1/20/2020 at 4:23 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Me too. I didn’t play Gwent on my first play through and did on my second, and found myself obsessed with it. 

I recently watched a YT video ranking the hardest TW3 bosses. One in the top ten was the Wicked Witch. I played through twice and never came upon her, and that kinda sours me. Apparently she’s in the Blood and Wine expansion. I have to go back and search her out.

I just finished the AC Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs dlc (which I enjoyed more than the normal game). I used the minimal option HUD. Info pops up and goes away in a few seconds. But it does show the destination constantly, which is fine for me. Especially on a huge map like the one Origins has. 

I’ve only played Odyssey and Origins out of all the AC games and found the grind in Origins to be way worse. The next main storyline quest would be like 3 levels above sometimes and that got annoying kinda early. I didn’t notice that in Odyssey as much, maybe because there was so much other shit to do.

I picked up Origins rather than Odyssey because the majority of reviewers stated that the former was a more tighter and less grindy experience. I haven't had any problem with levels on Origin, as I did most of the side content, bandit camps, forts etc. when reaching a new area and exploring around. I'll pick up Odyssey when it goes down to 20. 

I might wait on Red Dead for a while... I think I want a break from long open world games for a while. I'll either play Shadow of the Colossus or the Uncharted bundle after this.

9 hours ago, kuenjato said:

I picked up Origins rather than Odyssey because the majority of reviewers stated that the former was a more tighter and less grindy experience. I haven't had any problem with levels on Origin, as I did most of the side content, bandit camps, forts etc. when reaching a new area and exploring around. I'll pick up Odyssey when it goes down to 20. 

I might wait on Red Dead for a while... I think I want a break from long open world games for a while. I'll either play Shadow of the Colossus or the Uncharted bundle after this.

Personally, I found there was just so much content in Odyssey that I never really found it to be a grind.  I imagine if you just try to power through the main quest you might occasionally find yourself under levelled but I was constantly over the suggested level for main quests because I did a ton of side shit.

I feel kinda called out by the developers of Elite. I bought the game last month and happened to use void opal mining to quickly make a ton of cash. I still got 80 Million left after buying everything that I initially wanted and now... they nerfed it.

Well, it's probably not meant as a nerf, but it resulted in one and the players are all pretty pissed as far as I can see. They added a supply/demand system to make trading more 'dynamic', but since they didn't change the fact that there are at most 4 commodities that make enough money to warrant trading/mining their prices immediately dropped to the bottom. At to that the clunky trade mechanics that make it impossible to see the prices you can sell minerals for until you have actually mined them AND docked to a space station that just so happens to buy them, you have a system that effectively killed third-party databases that helped players seek profitable mining runs. It's now a completely random guessing game where players run around like headless chicken hoping that they miracuously find what they are looking for.

I guess that's the part where I should instead of mining just grab my Asp Explorer and make a dash for deep space until this shit show blew over. In fact I tried my hands at engineering recently to make the most out of my jump range. Of course I had to look into third party apps to know where to farm Thargoid barnacles to unlock Felicity Farseer and I had enough exploration data to unlock her to lvl 4 of 5. Unfortunately grinding for the engineering materials is a pain, I had to look up dozens of shipwrecks until I got "Chemical Distilleries" and just now found out that in order to max upgrade your drive you need for instead of one, like the description said, because a lvl 4 improved range FSD has four ticks that need to be unlocked. For fuck's sake! I only got three... Anyway, I guess so far it's enough. I still have to lose some more weight and then I will just disappear. My plan is to just head for the most boring empty spot north of the bubble that I can find, hoping to enter a large patch of unexplored space.

I saw the two Witcher 3 DLCs on deep discount so I picked them up, realized I didn't want to jump right into them and started the whole game over (I beat it back in 2016). The thing that struck is me that the game looks and feels older than I expected. The writing and voice acting is still fantastic, and the landscapes still look good. But the character models look surprisingly dated, there's all sorts of jank that happens going out of cutscene, and the controls are even clunkier than I remembered. I know the game is almost 5 years old, but it just didn't feel that way in my memory. Time is a hell of a thing. Still, I really enjoyed being back in the world again and I'll keep going. 

Frostpunk was on sale, so I picked it up. It is, indeed, a brutal game. I was struggling a lot even at medium difficulty. Started another run at easy, and it's doable then, though the game has some issues. Playing the main scenario, I managed to get the Londoners number to 0, but still got the message about the Londoners leaving. wtf, no one left. I'm now in the final stage, I think, having just taken in all the refugee waves, and the big frost approaching. I may lose my scouts and outpost teams. 

Can an outpost team be switched to another location? I was trying to do that, couldn't find an option.

On 1/25/2020 at 12:58 PM, Fez said:

I saw the two Witcher 3 DLCs on deep discount so I picked them up, realized I didn't want to jump right into them and started the whole game over (I beat it back in 2016). The thing that struck is me that the game looks and feels older than I expected. The writing and voice acting is still fantastic, and the landscapes still look good. But the character models look surprisingly dated, there's all sorts of jank that happens going out of cutscene, and the controls are even clunkier than I remembered. I know the game is almost 5 years old, but it just didn't feel that way in my memory. Time is a hell of a thing. Still, I really enjoyed being back in the world again and I'll keep going. 

There's some good mods which moderately update the quality of the graphics whilst not going overboard.

Frostpunk was on sale, so I picked it up. It is, indeed, a brutal game. I was struggling a lot even at medium difficulty. Started another run at easy, and it's doable then, though the game has some issues. Playing the main scenario, I managed to get the Londoners number to 0, but still got the message about the Londoners leaving. wtf, no one left. I'm now in the final stage, I think, having just taken in all the refugee waves, and the big frost approaching. I may lose my scouts and outpost teams. 

Can an outpost team be switched to another location? I was trying to do that, couldn't find an option.

Playing the game on Easy is not recommended because once you work out how to game the systems, Easy becomes a cakewalk. It should all be doable on Medium (Hard and Survivor are insane though).

You can click on the Outpost and then the "dismantle outpost" option. Then send the Outpost Team back to the city. When they arrive, clock on the balloon and disband them.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

There's some good mods which moderately update the quality of the graphics whilst not going overboard.

I've mostly adjusted to the graphics quality (which certainly aren't bad, its just that in my memory they were still cutting edge), but I'm surprised by the bugs, which I don't know if a mod could address. The worst was that after killing the griffin in White Orchard, there was a bug where only Vesemir's head sans hair appeared in the cutscene floating around. There's been plenty of others too.

It does make me a bit sad though that there really hasn't been another AAA game since that is as well-written. Great writing certainly exists in other games, but its almost always indie and small budget titles; which just can't convey the same scope and majesty. Its why the Cyberpunk 2077 (and Dying Light 2 for that matter) delays feel so rough.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

It does make me a bit sad though that there really hasn't been another AAA game since that is as well-written. Great writing certainly exists in other games, but its almost always indie and small budget titles; which just can't convey the same scope and majesty. Its why the Cyberpunk 2077 (and Dying Light 2 for that matter) delays feel so rough.

RDR2?

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

RDR2?

Haven't played it, not interested in playing it. I was deeply unsatisfied by the first game, nothing about the second game (and I've seen a lot of spoilers) sounds appealing to me. And the actual gameplay seems beyond frustrating.

Just now, Fez said:

Haven't played it, not interested in playing it. I was deeply unsatisfied by the first game, nothing about the second game (and I've seen a lot of spoilers) sounds appealing to me. And the actual gameplay seems beyond frustrating.

To each their own, doesn't mean it's not a AAA game with good writing, which is what you were talking about.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Playing the game on Easy is not recommended because once you work out how to game the systems, Easy becomes a cakewalk. It should all be doable on Medium (Hard and Survivor are insane though).

You can click on the Outpost and then the "dismantle outpost" option. Then send the Outpost Team back to the city. When they arrive, clock on the balloon and disband them.

I don't think I've figured out how to game the systems, as you put it. But sure, I don't think I would have gotten the Londoners down to 0, for example, at a higher difficulty level.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

To each their own, doesn't mean it's not a AAA game with good writing, which is what you were talking about.

Well, it depends on how you define good writing, which is of course subjective. But subjectively, from what I've heard and the cutscenes I saw, I would not consider RDR2 to be well-written on the whole; even though individual scenes might be very well written.

I started RDR2 just before Christmas, played for around 10 hours, and just can't bring myself to start it up again at the moment. The simulation aspects stress me out a bit- I find myself worrying that it's getting late and my guy might need to sleep, and if I'm ever doing something naughty it's highly likely some fucker is out there perving and is going to tell on me, and that's just rubbish.

So I've just been playing Enter The Gungeon instead. No one tells me off for being too murdery, and I die too often to worry about having to sleep.

25 minutes ago, Fez said:

Well, it depends on how you define good writing, which is of course subjective. But subjectively, from what I've heard and the cutscenes I saw, I would not consider RDR2 to be well-written on the whole; even though individual scenes might be very well written.

Yup, honestly the writing in RDR2 is really not a strength. I never found any of the characters all that compelling , none of the storylines grabbed me, and it all felt like just a bunch of Western tropes the whole time. 

The nature of the game also means I’m  honestly not sure I enjoyed playing it at all.  I expected an open world experience but it’s really not set up for doing that, you really just have to do missions mostly if ilu want to have any real fun.

There are some fantastic views and the landscape is great but outside of that I can’t say I’ve any great urge to play it again 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think I've figured out how to game the systems, as you put it. But sure, I don't think I would have gotten the Londoners down to 0, for example, at a higher difficulty level.

The game certainly has roguelike elements where regular defeats are a key part of the learning experience (it's why the main campaign is relatively short, so starting from scratch is never too much of an issue). There's also a sacrifice mechanic, as in it's almost impossible to get through a playthrough of any of the scenarios without taking a hit somewhere.

On my New London playthrough I got the Londoners down to 0 on about the third attempt by implementing Faith, recruiting the Faith Keepers, putting up shrines all over the place and holding the vigils/prayer services. I think I even got the Temple up and hosted the really big service there, which puts a massive dent in the Londoners' recruitment.

I'll note that New London is relatively straightforward compared to Refugees, which is brutal, and The Fall of Winterhome, which is punishing. Arks might be a bit easier than New London once you get into the habit of using automatons.

So the Steam Lunar sale is over, and this may be the first time in a long time I didn't buy something. I just can't find games that scratch the right itch, I suppose. Things like the Witcher 3. I guess this year has some good options, and I'm pretty stoked for Vampire the Masquerade, but man, I wonder if I'm losing my love of gaming! 

The Outer Wilds is very good. I've been on a bit of an exploration game kick over the last few years (mainly Subnautica and Kerbal Space Program), and this is probably the purest expression of that. I really like that the game doesn't hold your hand at all, and the entire world is open to you from the start. No need to unlock areas or craft things. Just...explore. And piece together the mystery.

It's also really easy to play casually, being naturally divided into convenient 20-minute sessions.

The visual design is fantastic. Each planet has a particular aesthetic. It's all very pretty, and also whimsical. It reminds me a little bit of the Saga comics.

Archived