Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

Dumping some serious hours on Mechwarrior 5. Really enjoying the combat and coming up with cheesy builds (favorite atm is SRM boat). But it's getting pretty tough now with Assault Mechs showing up. Need to get some coop happening to test more interesting cheesy builds, specially some interesting Lances that incorporates light mechs!

On 1/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Toth said:

I feel kinda called out by the developers of Elite. I bought the game last month and happened to use void opal mining to quickly make a ton of cash. I still got 80 Million left after buying everything that I initially wanted and now... they nerfed it.

Well, it's probably not meant as a nerf, but it resulted in one and the players are all pretty pissed as far as I can see. They added a supply/demand system to make trading more 'dynamic', but since they didn't change the fact that there are at most 4 commodities that make enough money to warrant trading/mining their prices immediately dropped to the bottom. At to that the clunky trade mechanics that make it impossible to see the prices you can sell minerals for until you have actually mined them AND docked to a space station that just so happens to buy them, you have a system that effectively killed third-party databases that helped players seek profitable mining runs. It's now a completely random guessing game where players run around like headless chicken hoping that they miracuously find what they are looking for.

I guess that's the part where I should instead of mining just grab my Asp Explorer and make a dash for deep space until this shit show blew over. In fact I tried my hands at engineering recently to make the most out of my jump range. Of course I had to look into third party apps to know where to farm Thargoid barnacles to unlock Felicity Farseer and I had enough exploration data to unlock her to lvl 4 of 5. Unfortunately grinding for the engineering materials is a pain, I had to look up dozens of shipwrecks until I got "Chemical Distilleries" and just now found out that in order to max upgrade your drive you need for instead of one, like the description said, because a lvl 4 improved range FSD has four ticks that need to be unlocked. For fuck's sake! I only got three... Anyway, I guess so far it's enough. I still have to lose some more weight and then I will just disappear. My plan is to just head for the most boring empty spot north of the bubble that I can find, hoping to enter a large patch of unexplored space.

Were you after credits for any particular reason?

I didn't mind the engineering unlocks, but I hate the whole grade 1-5 upgrade process. Gets extremely tedius after upgrading a couple of ships. The whole material grinding is one of the main reason I keep quitting (....and then coming back a few months later when I get the space sim itch!).

Good luck with your exploring. I find long range travels to be extremely tedius (basically loading screen every min....). If you want to sight see though, you might want to find a few destination. I'm sure there are forums/streamers out there with some good recommended destinations.

57 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Were you after credits for any particular reason?

Well, to get started of course. I hopped from ship to ship until I reached the Python and with that financed whatever other exploits I wanted to do. So right now my roster is the Python for mining, the Asp Explorer for, well, exploring and the Krait Mk2 for missions and material grinding.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I didn't mind the engineering unlocks, but I hate the whole grade 1-5 upgrade process. Gets extremely tedius after upgrading a couple of ships. The whole material grinding is one of the main reason I keep quitting (....and then coming back a few months later when I get the space sim itch!). 

That's what irritated me as well and which is why I headed out with a not fully engineered Asp in the end because I got sick of rummaging through garbage to get those damn chemical thingies.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Good luck with your exploring. I find long range travels to be extremely tedius (basically loading screen every min....). If you want to sight see though, you might want to find a few destination. I'm sure there are forums/streamers out there with some good recommended destinations. 

I must say, I will likely soon drop the game as well once things start to get more busy in RL. And it's not like I got very far. My idea was to head downwards until I reach the edge of the galaxy because I'm curious how the galactic disk looks like outside. Right now my Asp is parked on some moon I discovered and that had geysers I hadn't scanned yet. Which, actually, makes me wonder whether I should do this trip even more slowly than I initially wanted, mapping landable planets until I have finished discovering everything in the codex. Each scan gives you 50k credits after all... which, isn't much, come to think of it, but then I have that off the table and am quite possibly a lot closer to immediately getting an exploration elite rank once I return.

When it comes to sights... well, I want to find my own sights, as well as head to the center of the galaxy for shits and giggles. But that'll take a while in 50 lightyears hops.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:58 AM, Fez said:

I saw the two Witcher 3 DLCs on deep discount so I picked them up, realized I didn't want to jump right into them and started the whole game over (I beat it back in 2016). The thing that struck is me that the game looks and feels older than I expected. The writing and voice acting is still fantastic, and the landscapes still look good. But the character models look surprisingly dated, there's all sorts of jank that happens going out of cutscene, and the controls are even clunkier than I remembered. I know the game is almost 5 years old, but it just didn't feel that way in my memory. Time is a hell of a thing. Still, I really enjoyed being back in the world again and I'll keep going. 

I'm replaying it now myself and it is definitely true that the gameplay can feel very clunky. Coming after the pure joy of Breath of the Wild's open world gameplay, or even Dark Souls' more refined combat, it can be a bit hard to enjoy the Witcher 3's. The movement is especially janky, even on the alternative control option; there are so many time I've fallen to my death off of a narrow stairway because my gentle nudge of the joystick sends Geralt barreling forward at full speed (and falling more than 4 feet seems to always automatically kill Geralt). And those loading screens after you die take so long...

The bugs don't bother me as much. In general, they're funny, Bethesda style visual bugs rather than gamebreaking ones (I've just found one bugged out quest so far in my playthrough, and it didn't stop me from getting through the quest, just the reward). I'm playing on the Switch and have pretty low standards for graphics, so all that seems fine to me.   But oh man, the writing in this game is so good. The main quest itself can be a bit of a slog and the pacing is not great, especially in the Novigrad section.  But offshoots of the main quest (the Bloody Baron, Keira's quests, the political quests in Novigrad, pretty much everything on Skellige) are so good, and even the most rote of sidequests (go here, use your witcher senses, go here, use your witcher senses, fight something) can be made absorbing through interesting characters and writing.  Fingers crossed that both Cyberpunk and Dragon Age 4 can live up to at least some of that quality.  

I am playing Plague Tale and it's pretty good so far.  I have been wanting to play Odyssey again lately and I may have to fire that one up soon.  I also still have Arkham City going and it's great and I'll go back to it soon enough. 

I am not sure if I am excited about the upcoming Avengers game.  It's being made by the Tomb Raider people and Tomb Raider would be my pick if I had to pick a favorite game.  I'm worried it's going to put too much emphasis on co-op or group play.  We'll see I guess. 

On 1/27/2020 at 4:11 PM, Heartofice said:

I expected an open world experience but it’s really not set up for doing that, you really just have to do missions mostly if ilu want to have any real fun 

Ehh Don’t agree with that. Plenty to do when you’re not doing missions. Hunting/Fishing/Gambling/Treasure Maps/Random encounters ( I met a vampire in Saint Denis for instance). 

On 1/27/2020 at 3:42 PM, Fez said:

Well, it depends on how you define good writing, which is of course subjective. But subjectively, from what I've heard and the cutscenes I saw, I would not consider RDR2 to be well-written on the whole; even though individual scenes might be very well written.

Doesn’t appeal to you is one thing but this is a weird take. Imagine not considering something well written when you haven’t played it and looked up a few spoilers. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Ehh Don’t agree with that. Plenty to do when you’re not doing missions. Hunting/Fishing/Gambling/Treasure Maps/Random encounters ( I met a vampire in Saint Denis for instance). 

Those things mostly just feel like little sub games added onto the game though. There are occasional random encounters but I found they became pretty rare as I completed them. 

I dunno, the whole thing felt far too ‘gamey ’ rather than open world to me. 

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Doesn’t appeal to you is one thing but this is a weird take. Imagine not considering something well written when you haven’t played it and looked up a few spoilers. 

I mean, that's the entire purpose of critics and reviewers of all sorts, to let you know how something (be it a game, a movie, a book, a tv show, whatever) is in advance without experiencing it yourself; including the quality of its writing. It's certainly true that the vast majority of critics loved RDR2. However, as with everything, whether you agree with a reviewer's taste will determine whether their opinions are meaningful to you.

There are very few video game reviewers that I have followed long enough to know that I can trust that their opinions are relevant to me. Jeff Gerstmann is one of them, and he hated RDR2. The other Giant Bomb staff member that I have similar tastes to thought it was extremely mediocre. So between that and watching a few key cutscenes to get a sense of the pace and flow of dialog, that was more than enough for me to say that, subjectively, it is not a well written game.

It's a slow start, but other than that I had no problem with Red Dead 2's writing (though if that's why you find yourself continuing to play it you should probably just go read Blood Meridian.) The gameplay is just not compelling. A lot of stuff feels tedious and the shooting is pretty easy. 

I've gotten pretty far in my Witcher 3 replay, up to level 15 and am about midway through the initial sequence of Novigrad quests if memory serves. Skipping every Witcher contract and ? on the map helps things go a lot faster, and I think helps with the pacing a lot as well; it keeps the intensity going. On the other hand, it also makes the world quite a bit smaller; only doing main and secondary quests means there are vast regions of land that you never visit. I'm curious to see how Cyberpunk 2077 will handle this, since its been a problem for all RPGs since the beginning; maintaining the balance between pacing and scope.

Also, playing old Gwent again in Witcher 3 (which in some ways I found more fun than Thronebreaker Gwent) made me want to try out the standalone CCG Gwent game again. Which is a third thing entirely. And I did not enjoy how it felt at all. But it did make me curious about how other digital CCG games were doing, and I started dabbling in Legends of Runeterra, the League of Legends CCG. I've never played a game of LoL, or any MOBA, so I don't have any connection to the cards; but it seems like a pretty fun one of these games. And different from the others I've played.

The big new thing (at least I haven't seen it before), is that the game is divided into rounds and turns. At the start of each round is when mana is refreshed and increased (it uses a Hearthstone like system for mana), but in each round players trade turns back and forth doing things until both players pass. And then it goes to the next round. At baseline, only the player who has the first turn in a round can attack (and only do so once), but there are certain cards that break that for both players. It makes it a very reactive game. I haven't totally figured out how spell priority works; there's some sort of MtG-like stack system, but I don't think its quite the same thing.

Oh no, they did exactly that, although not as well as people thought, with extra bugs, lack of cinematic cutscenes ingame that they promised, removed multiplayer features and custom campaigns(as well as that all maps someone creates are owned by Blizzard). That's what's got everyone in an uproar. I mean, as a remaster with upgraded graphics, it does its job well enough, and IMO the low score is way overblown due to outrage culture, but they did not do the best job at everything else that the community and fans expected, whether that was realistic or not.

I'm playing my first ever Tomb Raider game now.  Its the 2013 reboot... so I'm either 7 years behind the curve or almost 30 depending on how you want to count it.  :lol: 

I got this game for free with PSPlus a couple years back and never got around to playing it.  Loving it of course.  It scratches my Uncharted itch (or maybe Uncharted scratched a TR itch I didn't know I had??? :dunno: )  I also picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider around the new year on a sale on the PS store.  Guess I'll have to go ahead and get Rise too.

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm playing my first ever Tomb Raider game now.  Its the 2013 reboot... so I'm either 7 years behind the curve or almost 30 depending on how you want to count it.  :lol: 

I got this game for free with PSPlus a couple years back and never got around to playing it.  Loving it of course.  It scratches my Uncharted itch (or maybe Uncharted scratched a TR itch I didn't know I had??? :dunno: )  I also picked up Shadow of the Tomb Raider around the new year on a sale on the PS store.  Guess I'll have to go ahead and get Rise too.

The recent Tomb Raiders are probably my favorite games.  I bought the 2013 one thinking it would fill some time while I looked for something I really wanted to play.  I loved it from the start and have loved it all the way through Rise and Shadow.  I read an interview with Square Enix or Eidos or someone who said there are no plans for more Tomb Raider games.  I almost cried.  At least we got three games.  Tomb Raider is very like Uncharted I agree.  I think you should get Rise and just play them in order.  They really are great games.

I just finished Plague Tale and the ending made me certain a sequel is in the works.  Sure enough I read they are making one to be released in 2022.  Good game so I'll be excited for that when it finally gets here.  I enjoyed this game's stealth heavy play.  The main character, Amicia, cannot go one on one with enemies accept from distance.  She must sneak around and distract them instead.  The story is good and the music is really great. 

3 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

The recent Tomb Raiders are probably my favorite games.  I bought the 2013 one thinking it would fill some time while I looked for something I really wanted to play.  I loved it from the start and have loved it all the way through Rise and Shadow.  I read an interview with Square Enix or Eidos or someone who said there are no plans for more Tomb Raider games.  I almost cried.  At least we got three games.  Tomb Raider is very like Uncharted I agree.  I think you should get Rise and just play them in order.  They really are great games.

I just finished Plague Tale and the ending made me certain a sequel is in the works.  Sure enough I read they are making one to be released in 2022.  Good game so I'll be excited for that when it finally gets here.  I enjoyed this game's stealth heavy play.  The main character, Amicia, cannot go one on one with enemies accept from distance.  She must sneak around and distract them instead.  The story is good and the music is really great. 

I was closer to the end than I realized last night and I wound up beating it.  Just a really fun game.

Went to PS store and Rise was on sale 85% off... so it is now sitting on my ribbon.  Will start it today or tomorrow.

I've been playing a lot of Kenshi, a game I bought a while ago but initially failed to get into. It's like one of those Divinity: Original Sin / Pillars of Eternity overhead RPGs mixed with Rimworld. So in addition to exploring the world aligning with factions and stuff you're also building a base and doing research and farming. It's a little rough around the edges, being developed mostly by one person. but I can't recommend it enough if you like that sort of game. 

After mining enough ore to get the cash I needed I finally built a base on a spot of land that looked fertile. It happened to be in the territory of a faction called the Holy Nation Outlaws, so they sent an inquisitor over. Not knowing what their deal was I sent one of my lizard people over to greet him. Well it turns out their deal was KILL ALL THE LIZARD PEOPLE. After fleeing the first skirmish I was eventually able to have a human lie and say my lizard people were just slaves working in service of god, and they left me alone. But then my game crashed a few minutes later and I had to redo that part. So I sent another human over and made all the same dialogue choices. Only I'd sent a woman this time, and apparently they're not big on women either. 

So to avoid being wiped off the map I had to send all my lizard people back to the starting town. Things went fine until the inquisitor returned citing reports of "loose women" at my outpost. I was able to talk him down and now I'm biding my time and building my strength until the day comes when I can slaughter the guy who comes every week to make sure I'm saying my prayers, and eventually destroy the whole faction. It will be a while though. 

Archived