Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

Replaying Starfleet Academy at the moment. It's aged okay-ish (I guess) graphically and the storytelling and cutscene writing is surprisingly good (as the game features the last live-action appearances by Shatner, Takei and Koenig as Kirk, Sulu and Chekov to date), but the interface is clunky as hell. Fun stuff.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:44 PM, Melphis Amekia said:

Oh no, they did exactly that, although not as well as people thought, with extra bugs, lack of cinematic cutscenes ingame that they promised, removed multiplayer features and custom campaigns(as well as that all maps someone creates are owned by Blizzard). That's what's got everyone in an uproar. I mean, as a remaster with upgraded graphics, it does its job well enough, and IMO the low score is way overblown due to outrage culture, but they did not do the best job at everything else that the community and fans expected, whether that was realistic or not.

They removed functionality from the game, which is what seems to have really pissed everyone off. Most of the other stuff seems to be relatively minor (although promising to re-render all of the cut scenes and only doing one is a bit lame) and some of the bad stuff they'd originally said they were going to do, like rewriting the lore so WarCraft III fitted WoW better, ended up getting dumped.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

For as long as gamers only protest through the metacritic user score and bitching and moaning on reddit, and not actually protesting by closing their wallets, nothing is going to change. 

Well there were people who tried to get refunds and apparently Blizzard laughed in their face.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Well there were people who tried to get refunds and apparently Blizzard laughed in their face.

Yes there were. But have they cancelled their WoW subscription in protest, are they going to not buy Diablo IV, are they going to stop playing Hearthstone? Or will they simply compartmentalise and keep giving Blizzard their money, because they gots to have their game fix?

Increasingly I find myself inclined to punish, in my own small and insignificant way, a company as a whole for doing something shitty with one game. Even a game I had no intention of playing before any controversy arose. So I won't buy other games I would like to play made by, or published by that company. Though my resolve has not yet been seriously tested yet. I can avoid Activision-Blizzard because they don't publish any games I want to play. I can avoid WB because even though I like Shadow of Mordor and the Arkham games, I am not really invested in them. I want to be able to avoid EA, but I'm going to have a really hard time not buying Dragon Age 4. I did cancel my Origin subscription though.

So far Sony hasn't really pissed me off, so I can keep buying their stuff. I am a wee bit mad at Creative Assembly gating off a bit too much Total War Warhammer stuff in DLC. But they release enough freeLC to keep me hooked, so I'm still thinking about buying TWW III. Though if they get too nickel and dime with the release day version of the game and have day 1 DLC I'll probably be skipping it, forever.

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yes there were. But have they cancelled their WoW subscription in protest, are they going to not buy Diablo IV, are they going to stop playing Hearthstone? Or will they simply compartmentalise and keep giving Blizzard their money, because they gots to have their game fix?

Increasingly I find myself inclined to punish, in my own small and insignificant way, a company as a whole for doing something shitty with one game. Even a game I had no intention of playing before any controversy arose. So I won't buy other games I would like to play made by, or published by that company. Though my resolve has not yet been seriously tested yet. I can avoid Activision-Blizzard because they don't publish any games I want to play. I can avoid WB because even though I like Shadow of Mordor and the Arkham games, I am not really invested in them. I want to be able to avoid EA, but I'm going to have a really hard time not buying Dragon Age 4. I did cancel my Origin subscription though.

So far Sony hasn't really pissed me off, so I can keep buying their stuff. I am a wee bit mad at Creative Assembly gating off a bit too much Total War Warhammer stuff in DLC. But they release enough freeLC to keep me hooked, so I'm still thinking about buying TWW III. Though if they get too nickel and dime with the release day version of the game and have day 1 DLC I'll probably be skipping it, forever.

Understand the feeling. EA Games and Bioware haven't gotten any money from me since ME: Andromeda, and it wasn't because the game wasn't that great, it's because of how they treated it afterwards. Not to mention EA's shenanigans with Battlefront II.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Understand the feeling. EA Games and Bioware haven't gotten any money from me since ME: Andromeda, and it wasn't because the game wasn't that great, it's because of how they treated it afterwards. Not to mention EA's shenanigans with Battlefront II.

This exactly.  Andromeda was a decent game if not up to the standard of the original trilogy, but it was shameful the way they abandoned it and discontinued any of their planned DLC.

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This exactly.  Andromeda was a decent game if not up to the standard of the original trilogy, but it was shameful the way they abandoned it and discontinued any of their planned DLC.

It was decent, but only because I bought the game a year after release so they'd fixed all the worst performance issues. But over all I enjoyed the game well enough to finish it once, but not nearly enough to want to be a completionist like I have been (to some degree) with all the other Mass Effect (and Dragon Age) games. I also thought it was interesting how the game strongly implied which ending from ME3 is canon.

In other news: leaks suggesting Sony is thinking about making PS5 able to remote play on Switch. Not a bad move I think. Sony clearly has no aspirations in the handheld market, and it encourages Switch owners to buy a PS5 over anything else as a second gaming option. There's been enough time between Switch launch and when Sony and MS new gen consoles will release that a lot of Switch owners may be feeling like making another hardware investment. It may end up being nothing of course.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It was decent, but only because I bought the game a year after release so they'd fixed all the worst performance issues. But over all I enjoyed the game well enough to finish it once, but not nearly enough to want to be a completionist like I have been (to some degree) with all the other Mass Effect (and Dragon Age) games. I also thought it was interesting how the game strongly implied which ending from ME3 is canon.

In other news: leaks suggesting Sony is thinking about making PS5 able to remote play on Switch. Not a bad move I think. Sony clearly has no aspirations in the handheld market, and it encourages Switch owners to buy a PS5 over anything else as a second gaming option. There's been enough time between Switch launch and when Sony and MS new gen consoles will release that a lot of Switch owners may be feeling like making another hardware investment. It may end up being nothing of course.

That blows my mind. :stunned: 

I remote play my PS4 at my office all the time on my PC.  I tried it with my Vita, but there was a software update that makes it so slow it’s basically unworkable and entirely too many games use R3 and L3 to make the Vita truly viable.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That ties in with Sony releasing some of its own-published games on PC (Horizon: Zero Dawn up first) as well. Sony seem to be aware that the hardware-specific age is drawing to a close and they want to get ahead of the curve.

I am considering playing Man of Medan next.  I have some good games going already but Plague Tale has me in the mood for narrative.  Maybe I should go back to Detroit as I only played a couple hours of it.  I want to play on the XBox for a while, though.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

This would be awesome.  I wasn't planning on getting a PS5 right away (like I have since the PS2), but if this turns out to be true I might just pull the trigger earlier than expected.

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

Let's not sugarcoat the game too much. The moment-to-moment gameplay was fine, but the story, and the way it played out, had some cripplingly bad problems; which is devastating for a story-driven RPG. A fair amount of that was glossed over by the reaction to how the character faces initially looked, but there were massive issues with that game.

After that, and not even getting Anthem, I have no expectations for the next Bioware game. But I'll still get it if it reviews well. In relation to the Warcraft III Reforged, I think the thing people really need to do is: STOP PRE-ORDERING GAMES!!! Until that happens, and publishers no longer have guaranteed revenue regardless of what the finished product looks like, there won't be enough incentive to actually deliver on promises. Of course, Blizzard specifically I believe should be boycotted regardless of game quality, but that's because of other issues with the company.

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

Let's not sugarcoat the game too much. The moment-to-moment gameplay was fine, but the story, and the way it played out, had some cripplingly bad problems; which is devastating for a story-driven RPG. A fair amount of that was glossed over by the reaction to how the character faces initially looked, but there were massive issues with that game.

After that, and not even getting Anthem, I have no expectations for the next Bioware game. But I'll still get it if it reviews well. In relation to the Warcraft III Reforged, I think the thing people really need to do is: STOP PRE-ORDERING GAMES!!! Until that happens, and publishers no longer have guaranteed revenue regardless of what the finished product looks like, there won't be enough incentive to actually deliver on promises. Of course, Blizzard specifically I believe should be boycotted regardless of game quality, but that's because of other issues with the company.

I'm not entirely sure why pre-ordering is a thing anymore in this day of digital downloads.  :dunno: 

There was a time that I would go into my local GameStop and pre-order an anticipated game just to be absolutely certain that I got a copy of the game on release day.  When there is limited supply, I get it... but with an unlimited supply with an online store I just don't understand.

I did continue my little tour in Elite recently. After reaching the edge of the galactic plane I am right now making my way northwards. Unfortunately I only just now figured out how to make screenshots, so screwed up and couldn't make a few photos of the nicer places I explored when searching for new geological anomalies to scan. I witnessed a moon eclipse and by the time I looked up the screenshot option it was already gone. I also found a ridiculously fast travelling tiny planet that I had to catch to land on.

But oh well, now I have given up on daring landing maneuvers for the time being. I screwed up here and there and my modules are nearly down to 90% integrity and my ship is badly scratched up. So I sped up my pace a little. I actually don't know how far away I am from the bubble (when zoomed out it looks kinda meagre, I suppose it's just 1500 lightyears so far) and yet I only find a few unexplored systems here and there. Also just empty lifeless rocks. A single water world was a nice change of pace: https://s19.directupload.net/images/200203/9799bjqp.jpg

And then there was one moment of insanity. I jumped into the system and was immediately taking heat damage as there were two suns ridiculously close to each other and I was stuck right between them. I escaped bruised and freaked out... but at least with a nice view: https://s19.directupload.net/images/200203/c8bsvvmw.jpg

And then I took a look at how the system looks: https://s19.directupload.net/images/200203/fsys38nf.jpg

That is all! No planets! Just suns! Eight of them! This whole system was insane!

So I'm not a Warhammer person tabletop or book wise and it took me a long time to try it out but I'm really liking Total War Warhammer 2.  Caught it on steam sale in November with the first one and all the important DLC and I'm quite enjoying it.  I wasn't at first, Tyrion is boring as shit, I somehow get wrecked as Mazdamundi early and never tried again, the Empire is way too easy (and I'm garbage at the game) same with the Norsca.  Then I found my beloved Kroq Gar.  Yes his campaign is easy but my God the Lizardmen are fun once they get rolling.  I loved having 5-6 of the big dinos with laser guns on their backs with a whole bunch of Saurus infantry to guard them and then 3 of the dread saurians and Kroq Gar rampaging amok.  Still I'm not very good and almost lost the final battle to fix the macguffin thing but it was fun.  Tried Khatep next and the tomb kings are fun, certainly a different style but I got swamped by the Dark Elves.   So not sure what to do next.

I like the Vortex map a lot more than the Mortal Empires one, as North and South America and Africa are too squished on the latter but I don't like the rushed campaign.  I wish I could do mortal empires style on that map but alas.

Again having no idea on the lore I assume Warhammer 3 will add Russia/China/Japan/Australia to the ME?  Are there any other funky races to be added or just variations on ones therein already?

I know why I've never gotten into warhammer tabletop though, my God the names are fucking stupid. I won't ever touch the Greenskin faction because everything they have is stupidly named.  I won't play broody edgelord Malus Darkblade or the worst of the lot TiqTaqTo. (Whomever thought that was a good idea should have their hands broken).  How people read books and such with these idiotic names is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

So I'm not a Warhammer person tabletop or book wise and it took me a long time to try it out but I'm really liking Total War Warhammer 2.  Caught it on steam sale in November with the first one and all the important DLC and I'm quite enjoying it.  I wasn't at first, Tyrion is boring as shit, I somehow get wrecked as Mazdamundi early and never tried again, the Empire is way too easy (and I'm garbage at the game) same with the Norsca.  Then I found my beloved Kroq Gar.  Yes his campaign is easy but my God the Lizardmen are fun once they get rolling.  I loved having 5-6 of the big dinos with laser guns on their backs with a whole bunch of Saurus infantry to guard them and then 3 of the dread saurians and Kroq Gar rampaging amok.  Still I'm not very good and almost lost the final battle to fix the macguffin thing but it was fun.  Tried Khatep next and the tomb kings are fun, certainly a different style but I got swamped by the Dark Elves.   So not sure what to do next.

I like the Vortex map a lot more than the Mortal Empires one, as North and South America and Africa are too squished on the latter but I don't like the rushed campaign.  I wish I could do mortal empires style on that map but alas.

Again having no idea on the lore I assume Warhammer 3 will add Russia/China/Japan/Australia to the ME?  Are there any other funky races to be added or just variations on ones therein already?

I know why I've never gotten into warhammer tabletop though, my God the names are fucking stupid. I won't ever touch the Greenskin faction because everything they have is stupidly named.  I won't play broody edgelord Malus Darkblade or the worst of the lot TiqTaqTo. (Whomever thought that was a good idea should have their hands broken).  How people read books and such with these idiotic names is beyond me. 

No idea why Mazdamundi is considered an easy start on the campaign view. He is sandwiched between some norsca tribe to the east, dark elf to the north, rats to the west/south, orcs to the south, useless Empire scrub ally to the south east. I found his campaign a lot more difficult early game. Mid to late game was fine, but early game i really struggled with dark elf/rat/norsca raids. Kroq Gar was a lot easier since you had easy choke points that you could maintain.

You can kind of play Vortex like Mortal Empire, but you need to make sure no one finishes the vortex rituals. I always go for conquest victory conditions rather than rituals (takes way longer though). I usually save money for the biggest intervention for mid rituals (early ritual the cost of intervention is too high so i just let them finish those first few). Also, wait for the last 2-3 turns before sending intervention, that way the ritual fails when the intervention army takes their cities. If you go early, there is a risk they retake the city before the ritual finishes. The ritual peeps are far enough apart that they typically don't come after you til much later. And their local enemies keep em busy early game.

I am feeling the Total War itch again. But for now, Mechwarrior 5 is all consuming!

I find any of the Lizardmen campaigns quite easy to start off with because the Saurus warriors are just so damn strong as a starter unit. Their armour levels make it very hard for anyone to kill them when you start out. This is obviously excluding the Lord who can't recruit Saurus which is maybe the hardest start in the game.  I remember my first campaign as the skaven, coming up against Saurus warriors and realising it was impossible to beat them with Clanrats. 

I agree that the Vortex map is better to play on (mainly as its a bit faster as well) but the Vortex campaigns, the first 4 races anyway, are really not fun. I get to the 3rd ritual and I'm basically bored by that point. The whole mechanic forces you down certain paths, means you basically HAVE to get certain settlements to win, which is a bit irritating. For instance Vauls Anvil by the DE is vital to a lot of factions, especially Tretch, but it can be a real pain to hold onto it, and after that, trying to get another settlement in that area is really difficult and time consuming.

I think the Vortex makes the game feel very grindy. Which is probably why the devs have learnt from their mistakes and created more interesting mechanics with their DLCs

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

I'm not entirely sure why pre-ordering is a thing anymore in this day of digital downloads.  :dunno: 

There was a time that I would go into my local GameStop and pre-order an anticipated game just to be absolutely certain that I got a copy of the game on release day.  When there is limited supply, I get it... but with an unlimited supply with an online store I just don't understand.

It feels like habit in most cases but i suspect a lot of people still want hard copies especially when buying AAA games on release as you can trade them in for a decent price when finished.

There's also the crazy incentives for "exclusive" content that you can only get when pre-ordering. I'm not sure how many people fall for that but the ridiculous prices probably help offset the limited number of buyers. Assassin's creed odyssey is a good example.

Archived