Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

In advance of the Remake release, I decided to play some FFVII on the go.  This scene caught me off guard.  I’m sure 1997 me didn’t think anything of it... 2020 me was a bit surprised to say the least.

54 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In advance of the Remake release, I decided to play some FFVII on the go.  This scene caught me off guard.  I’m sure 1997 me didn’t think anything of it... 2020 me was a bit surprised to say the least.

LOL. The way he treats his female assistant didn't age very well either.

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

FF7's English translation was appalling. They should do a lot better in the new version.

I forgot he was even working on that. Anyway when it finally comes out I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the #1 spot from Pikachu

Minecraft is still popular but it's nothing like it was 3-5 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something of a bomb. Sonic and Pokemon are very long-running, multi-generational franchises with a huge amount of popularity, whilst the WarCraft and Assassin's Creed movies came out a long time after the popularity and awareness of those franchises peaked and started tailing off (AC has bounced back in games since the movie came out though), so they did much worse. It's why the Uncharted movie could go either way as well.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

FF7's English translation was appalling. They should do a lot better in the new version.

Minecraft is still popular but it's nothing like it was 3-5 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was something of a bomb. Sonic and Pokemon are very long-running, multi-generational franchises with a huge amount of popularity, whilst the WarCraft and Assassin's Creed movies came out a long time after the popularity and awareness of those franchises peaked and started tailing off (AC has bounced back in games since the movie came out though), so they did much worse. It's why the Uncharted movie could go either way as well.

All true, but I was surprised to read Minecraft still has 91 million active monthly players, somehow millions more than Fortnite. Which is both free and more the big thing among kids these days. 

Depending on what the movie ends up being (Lego movie clone?) and how it is marketed I could see a lot of kids dragging their parents to the theater. But also a lot of people my and McElhenny's age who were adults when Minecraft came out and loved it anyway. I used to host a server years ago and while we had a few 12-14 year olds most of the people who would log on seemed to be adults or older teens who are now adults with disposable income. So if it manages to appeal to both groups I could see it being huge. 

Arg Rune Factory 4 came out on Switch today. I've never played any of the series but my understanding is it's like Stardew Valley with more RPG elements and better/deeper combat. Something I've been interested in for a while but I know if I download it it will eat my life up. 

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

LOL forever. Rune Factory 4 is a game from 2012 that released on the 3DS at $40. They are releasing it on Switch, 8 years later, for $60. Nintendo have some fucking stones on them.

I didn't know how much it cost. That's up there with charging $30 for Terraria. But unlike Terraria I've never played this one so it's still tempting. Also isn't it some kinda updated version? 

Edit: actually it's $40 on the US eshop. Apparently it's barely an upgrade though, just a few more "events" have been added. No graphical upgrade. 

On 2/25/2020 at 5:03 PM, RumHam said:

I didn't know how much it cost. That's up there with charging $30 for Terraria. But unlike Terraria I've never played this one so it's still tempting. Also isn't it some kinda updated version? 

Edit: actually it's $40 on the US eshop. Apparently it's barely an upgrade though, just a few more "events" have been added. No graphical upgrade. 

It looks like the $60 one is some kind of special edition with an art book and $40 is the standard edition price. Releasing an 8 year old game at its original launch price with minimal changes still seems like some chutzpah to me, but what do I know. 

We should be getting our first glimpse at Baldur's Gate III later today. There's a big launch event being held at PAX East and they're showing gameplay and hopefully confirming a release date.

I've been playing old Dragon Quest games on my phone. Currently working through part 3--this was my favorite game on the NES back when I was a kid. I forgot how much I love it. I think I've played all the games in this series (except 9 and 10), but I think this series is just so good. DQ11 was really one of my favorite games of the last year. I didn't care for 8 much, so I was hesitant, but I really just loved the characters.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I've been playing old Dragon Quest games on my phone. Currently working through part 3--this was my favorite game on the NES back when I was a kid. I forgot how much I love it. I think I've played all the games in this series (except 9 and 10), but I think this series is just so good. DQ11 was really one of my favorite games of the last year. I didn't care for 8 much, so I was hesitant, but I really just loved the characters.

I have all those games on my phone.  I’d love for VII to be made available.  I only played it once when it first came out.

22 minutes ago, Zelgrath said:

Baldur's Gate 3 opening cinematic.

Looks shnazzy and all and I've read some gameplay bits and bobs about how it's all D and D and such.  But thwat's this got to do wit hthe Bhaalspawn?

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have all those games on my phone.  I’d love for VII to be made available.  I only played it once when it first came out.

how playable are these games on the phone? I've often considered this but always convince myself the controls would be clumsy. Games on my hit list would be chrono trigger (never played as it was never released in UK at the time) and secret of mana series - although there are remastered versions of those now.

Gameplay video. Actually impressive how it kept going badly wrong and they just ploughed on.

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Looks shnazzy and all and I've read some gameplay bits and bobs about how it's all D and D and such.  But thwat's this got to do wit hthe Bhaalspawn?

Absolutely nothing. That story was completed in Throne of Bhaal.

This is a new story taking place 120 years later. The linking material is the city of Baldur's Gate, the city attacked in the opening cinematic. They've been open that the BG3 name is because of a similar design philosophy and for marketing purposes. To be fair, the original BG3, the one Black Isle was making when it collapsed, was pretty much the same thing except that didn't even involved Baldur's Gate at all.

Archived