Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

Bought Code Vein over black friday and finally got some time to play it since we're finally done buying/selling our old/new home.  So far I've put about 10 hours into it, mostly trying to get acquainted with the different play styles, but I'm really enjoying it so far.  It sits somewhere between Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne as far as battle pacing, and is just as punishing.  I'm pretty over-leveled because I've been trying to figure out how everything works before I start sinking resources into upgrades and such.  Really scratches that 3rd person action RPG itch that I didn't realize I needed.

On the bus I'm continuing my Witcher 3 playthrough, but the only thing I'm really enjoying is playing Gwent.  Think I might start just going through the main story lines from here on out until more Gwent related side quests are available.  Already gave up on treasure hunts and witcher contracts.  The last 20 hours of side quests I've done have all been go someplace, fight/track something, go someplace else, do it again, ad-nauseam until some anti-climactic finish to the quest.

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Bought Code Vein over black friday and finally got some time to play it since we're finally done buying/selling our old/new home.  So far I've put about 10 hours into it, mostly trying to get acquainted with the different play styles, but I'm really enjoying it so far.  It sits somewhere between Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne as far as battle pacing, and is just as punishing.  I'm pretty over-leveled because I've been trying to figure out how everything works before I start sinking resources into upgrades and such.  Really scratches that 3rd person action RPG itch that I didn't realize I needed.

1. Becoming over-levelled is normal in Code Vein. It's not about trying to figure things out, you're gonna go into a session thinking "I need to get 5 levels" and you'll come out of it with 20. Seriously, I have never played an RPG that was this generous with leveling up. It was weird as hell.

2. Go for the Atlas build the first chance you get.

3. Get Yakumo as your partner and keep him as such.

4. Profit.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, kuenjato said:

I currently have my 9 year old daughter playing Horizon Zero Dawn. She's spent the last 2-3 hours just playing around in this little valley near Telluride, hunting turkeys and foxes and the occasional Scrapper/Grazer/Watcher combo. I urged her to do sidequests or continue with the main story, and she just rolled her eyes. "Dad, I'm having fun." It made me step back and appreciate that she wasn't just following-the-marker, like these games tend to encourage.

This is a really nice story to hear, and reminds me of how I would play Ocarina of Time back in the day. Who knows how many hours I spent just rolling around Hyrule Field, exploring and having fun adventures completely seperate from any quests? I wish I could experience video games as a kid again. The closest experience I've had in recent years is Breath of the Wild; I had so much fun just doing my own thing in the open world.

I'm still making my way through the Witcher 3 on Switch. I just finished the Hearts of Stone DLC, which was excellent, and am now onto Blood and Wine. Toussaint is beautiful and a real contrast to the rest of the game world.

Pumped about the Last of Us news.  HBO seems like a fine choice, as is Mazin and Druckmann (obviously). 

The other week a reminder popped up on my calendar at work about the original last of us 2 release... Punch to the gut. But still, May 29th is getting closer and closer.

7 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Pumped about the Last of Us news.  HBO seems like a fine choice, as is Mazin and Druckmann (obviously). 

The other week a reminder popped up on my calendar at work about the original last of us 2 release... Punch to the gut. But still, May 29th is getting closer and closer.

This sounds excellent. Be great if they could get the Chernobyl director too as the tone of that show would fit perfectly with the last of us. But the writer will probably help still in achieving this.

Now, can they convince Hugh Jackman to do some TV work? Otherwise Dylan McDermott might work as a back-up. Also thinking of ways they can include the voice cast and alumni from Chernobyl.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

the tone of that show would fit perfectly with the last of us.

Do you mean the tone of Chernobyl would be perfect for The Last of Us? If so, I couldn't disagree more.

As an aside, I liked The Last of Us but I think it has so much more potential as a TV show than a video game. Hopefully it's good. For me, the game is in the 'good but not great' category, but I think having the show could be much better.

9 minutes ago, Raja said:

As an aside, I liked The Last of Us but I think it has so much more potential as a TV show than a video game. Hopefully it's good. For me, the game is in the 'good but not great' category, but I think having the show could be much better.

I feel like the exact opposite is true. The Last of Us is one of the only games I’ve completed due to it having a great bit of character development and story, as well as some nice set piece moments. 

But it’s story was good... for a game. My expectations are a lot lower there. The same story in a tv show could be pretty derivative and dull, the whole post apocalyptic stuff has been done to death. 

I can just see a whole Witcher scenario where the show is just.. ok, Enjoyable but forgettable. Unless they put in a lot of work to make it inherently different to the game 

56 minutes ago, Raja said:

Do you mean the tone of Chernobyl would be perfect for The Last of Us? If so, I couldn't disagree more.

I think the grounded/downbeat tone of "Chernobyl" and everything looking muted in colour would fit "the last of us" really well. Again, it's more a director influence but the tension in the "divers in dark with Geiger counter going mad" or the "roof scene" could transfer well to a "last of us" show.

46 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I feel like the exact opposite is true. The Last of Us is one of the only games I’ve completed due to it having a great bit of character development and story, as well as some nice set piece moments. 

But it’s story was good... for a game. My expectations are a lot lower there. The same story in a tv show could be pretty derivative and dull, the whole post apocalyptic stuff has been done to death. 

I can just see a whole Witcher scenario where the show is just.. ok, Enjoyable but forgettable. Unless they put in a lot of work to make it inherently different to the game 

As long as they don't stretch out the story "walking dead" fashion i think it has enough momentum for a good season of TV. The game takes quite a while even if we just take set pieces and story and could fit into episodes.

I agree people should ideally just play the game, it's hard to quantify the added value of controlling the characters but i have a friend who just watched a playthrough of the game and loved it. The tv show is a way of bringing the story and characters to an audience that doesn't play games as well as letting gamers see how the show is translated. I'm still a sucker for post apocalyptic takes.

25 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think the grounded/downbeat tone of "Chernobyl" and everything looking muted in colour would fit "the last of us" really well. Again, it's more a director influence but the tension in the "divers in dark with Geiger counter going mad" or the "roof scene" could transfer well to a "last of us" show.

As long as they don't stretch out the story "walking dead" fashion i think it has enough momentum for a good season of TV. The game takes quite a while even if we just take set pieces and story and could fit into episodes.

I agree people should ideally just play the game, it's hard to quantify the added value of controlling the characters but i have a friend who just watched a playthrough of the game and loved it. The tv show is a way of bringing the story and characters to an audience that doesn't play games as well as letting gamers see how the show is translated. I'm still a sucker for post apocalyptic takes.

I’ve had people sit and watch me play Red Dead 2 and just enjoy that story and I don’t think I’d ever want to see a tv show of that game ( I’m sure it will happen)

My fear with The Last of Us is that it’s already a collection of apocalyptic movie tropes, I played the game thinking I’d seen pretty much all of it before in something else. But it was well crafted and I think because it was a game I was more than happy to let it wash over me because I was engrossed in the game.

Like you I’m also a sucker for end of the world crap, but I’m also hungry for shows that try and do new things and don’t just roll out the same old jump scares and tropes. I stopped watching Walking Dead a long time ago. 

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

The writer of Chernobyl was also the writer on several of the Scary Movie films, so he can lighten up if required (hopefully not quite to that tone though).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The writer of Chernobyl was also the writer on several of the Scary Movie films, so he can lighten up if required (hopefully not quite to that tone though).

That's quite a bit of range from scary movie to Chernobyl

Symphony of the Night released today for iOS.  Considering the limitations of the touchscreen... the controls are of course wonky, but its acceptable for some minor gaming.  Don't forsee myself playing the whole game that way.  For $2.99, I can support developers bringing games over to mobile format.

26 minutes ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

So change of pace here I know, but anyone play pubg on Xbox? Looking for more people to play with 

Feel like I remember someone here talking about that a long time ago, but don't know if I've seen anyone lately talk about it.

Curious. Just as I signed up for Elite a couple of months ago the game seems to be on a downwards spiral to death. First the announcement that they won't do any updates for the entire year, then the mining nerf and now they removed the GalNet news messages and Community Goals. Anyone thinking the game felt empty before now certainly must get even more of such an impression. The way it's handled is just baffling.

Under that light it doesn't seem very surprising that my short venture back into the game yesterday was resulting in total boredom, even though I found my first Earth-like planet as a moon to a big Water world.

I don't think they're making The Last of US TV show for video game fans, per se. Sure, they want fans of the game to be excited and put in a good word (and most of them will), but they will want to reach a much bigger audience. So "played it, loved/liked it, don't need to see it as a TV show" misses the point that there is a bigger audience out there who've never even heard of the game.

Personally I sort of agree that I don't really care about seeing the story in the video game turned into a TV series or movie. But there's 20 years between the prologue and the rest of the game that could make for some interesting TV. Sure, there has been a lot of post apocalyptic stuff and zombie stuff already. But I like the angle that the game takes with there still being a centralized govt and effectively a functional, albeit martial law, society, kids going to school, military training, an ongoing military industrial complex, rebels wanting a return to democracy, As opposed to the more typical post apocalyptic complete anarchy lawless society. So I'd rather they told Joel's, Tommy's, and eventually Tess' story eventually getting up to the game. But I can understand that they want to do the Joel and Ellie thing.

Archived