Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

On 3/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, mcbigski said:

All right, so with the possibility I might be instructed to shut in for a while I got an XBox One X.  Came with Fallen Order.  Got to say, the trash talk when that stormtrooper killed me ten minutes in was pretty funny.

Am probably going to finally take a run at GTA4, since I played about 10% of it on my 360.  Tried loading up Oblivion, since for whatever reason Skyrim isn't back compatible, and man the melee combat sucks.  Probably been ruined by Dark Souls series on that.

Based on all that, anyone have suggestions for what game to go for next?  My PC is fairly old, but with upgrades is probably still running at least as fast as the Xbox (more RAM and SSD).  Pretty sure there aren't a lot of forgotten 4k gems yet, but that's sort of the vibe I'm shooting for.

I'm going to try out Red Dead, heard it is good.   I always loved the mass effect games if you didn't play, but andromeda was mediocre. 

I'll have to try out stellaris.  Late game lag always killed the game for me. 

Never tried Red Dead, if I'm stuck at home long enough, I may run through Mass Effect again.

Stellaris late game is a drag for sure.  With the new rework to the sprawl mechanism it looks like you can keep research going fast for a lot longer, so I started a new game and moved the end crisis time up by 50 years.  The AI is a lot better too now, just got my border overrun by fanatic purifiers.  My next choke point is a lot older and more built up, so hoping to stop them there.  AI won't attack without a chance of winning, and has learned the rudimentaries of consolidating forces.

Stay safe Tav.

2 hours ago, Cuellar said:

I'm going to try out Red Dead, heard it is good.   I always loved the mass effect games if you didn't play, but andromeda was mediocre. 

Funny.  I was just thinking about reinstalling ME:A and playing it.  Still think it’s far and away the best gameplay in the series.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

Been playing some Sekiro Dies Twice... hard and a style that I'm terrible at (I've died so many times, rot has increased), but it's beautiful and I'm determined!

I think I finished like 85% of the game before the parrying kind of clicked for me. I wasn’t even looking at the boss’ posture damage for most of that time.

After I beat it I went back and started another game just to see how much easier it was when I understood the combat better. Places that took me a week to get to the first time around only took a few hours then. It’s funny how difficult I made it for myself.

17 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I think I finished like 85% of the game before the parrying kind of clicked for me. I wasn’t even looking at the boss’ posture damage for most of that time.

After I beat it I went back and started another game just to see how much easier it was when I understood the combat better. Places that took me a week to get to the first time around only took a few hours then. It’s funny how difficult I made it for myself.

Once you figure out Sekiro is actually just a rhythm game disguised as a Soulsborne it gets really easy.

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Funny.  I was just thinking about reinstalling ME:A and playing it.  Still think it’s far and away the best gameplay in the series.

I just did that last week an am slowly working my way through Andromeda, after originally thinking I'd maybe play through ME2 and 3 again. But a few hours into ME2 the gameplay made me decide to switch over to MEA. So much more dynamic and fun. A pity this game died the way it did. If this had gotten a sequel that improved on MEA the way ME2 improved on the first game it could have been amazing.

But I hear Anthem was well worth it to shelve the ME franchise...

3 hours ago, Jon AS said:

I just did that last week an am slowly working my way through Andromeda, after originally thinking I'd maybe play through ME2 and 3 again. But a few hours into ME2 the gameplay made me decide to switch over to MEA. So much more dynamic and fun. A pity this game died the way it did. If this had gotten a sequel that improved on MEA the way ME2 improved on the first game it could have been amazing.

But I hear Anthem was well worth it to shelve the ME franchise...

Agree on all points sadly.

I'm pleased monster hunter world is a free demo that I'm playing as while the concept and looks are great I'm not finding it very new user friendly - the combat system feels clunky so far. Also not sure if just hunting things and management are my bag - it's not like the game professes to be anything else in all fairness

Yesterday I was playing both Project Cars and Stellaris. I can't drive more than one event in a row in Project Cars because I'm playing with my keyboard only, so I'm still stuck in Superkart. My last race was the Sonoma track in the US and I am very ambivalent towards it. It is crazy and fun, but also veeery difficult. There are two sections that feel like straights with very slight curvature where the helping arrows keep telling me to go full throttle, but the massive elevation changes would launch my kart into the air and into the sand if I heed their advice. But if I brake the AI karts who don't seem to have that issue just barrel into me, launching me into the sand anyway. Therefore I just go off the throttle and let centrifugal force carry me through these sections while praying to not spin out of control. It was exhilarating. And caused me to play this race about four times...

Oh, and after that I got an invitation to the 24 hours of Le Mans. I immediately felt like if I did that, I could chop my hand off afterwards.

On the other hand I take back my initial complaints about having to race against a BAC Mono in an Audi. For another Track Day challenge I was put into a Mono and they drive like shit. The accelation is really disappointing after the superkart and it is really annoying to fly out of curves where the superkart was able to punch through at full speed. Makes me think that in the next tiers I will definitely aiming for Formula 1 because that seems to be the most fun category.

In Stellaris things were quite fun. I have been watching my Federation and the Space UN grow and prosper while I myself snuck to the west where a large patch of undiscovered space was to be found. A new untamed frontier, if you want to call it that. And I aggressively pushed for expansion (fittingly finishing my expansion focus tree) while keeping the raving xenophobes to the north more or less contained. I feel like the local warmongers have become extremely intimidated, there were only two very minor wars at the other side of the galaxy so far while I am quite casually consolidating my power (and start to get some traction when it comes to diplomatic weight). Unfortunately I am now "bordering" to two Fallen Empires. With "bordering" I mean I am justifiably scared of settling near them. One is xenophobic isolationists, the other one a church militant. If one of them awakens, I am pretty much screwed...

Reading this thread really makes me wanna reinstall Stellaris, but I kinda tableflipped when they completely redid how planets worked, as kinda the last straw of them constantly redesigning and reworking the game - am I the only person who liked the planet tiles thing? There's so much I like about the game but at this point it's an utterly different game to the one I bought, yes much for the better but not, in my opinion, entirely so.

It's an ongoing problem I feel in games these days, not entirely related to, but certainly some sorta cousin to the whole live-service thing, where games (single player games!) get released (or more usually these days come out of early access) but the devs don't consider them finished and keep redesigning them and messing with their systems, balance, etc. I find it very irritating. Every patch is like an MMO / MOBA or whatever where you don't know if the devs have decided to "shake up the meta" and break your favourite thing.

19 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Reading this thread really makes me wanna reinstall Stellaris, but I kinda tableflipped when they completely redid how planets worked, as kinda the last straw of them constantly redesigning and reworking the game - am I the only person who liked the planet tiles thing? There's so much I like about the game but at this point it's an utterly different game to the one I bought, yes much for the better but not, in my opinion, entirely so.

It's an ongoing problem I feel in games these days, not entirely related to, but certainly some sorta cousin to the whole live-service thing, where games (single player games!) get released (or more usually these days come out of early access) but the devs don't consider them finished and keep redesigning them and messing with their systems, balance, etc. I find it very irritating. Every patch is like an MMO / MOBA or whatever where you don't know if the devs have decided to "shake up the meta" and break your favourite thing.

To be fair, I feel like Paradox drastically reworking games like Stellaris and Imperator: Rome is a bit different than stuff like nerfing the shit out of online games. At least we are getting new stuff and while the jarring new pop system put me off at first as well, I managed to settle in with no problems. The new system actually feels more like you are actually managing a planet's population and space and not just a bunch of dudes in Sid Meyer's Colonization, while at the same time increasing strategies in how to micromanage jobs and housing.

Take for example Caprica right now. The planet now has 60 pops after I had an event chain adding sentient mushroom people added to my population causing quite an uproar. I had to make more city districts to get enough living space for all of them while at the same time ran out of room to build new buildings, meaning I have now 3 unemployed pops. In the old system the planet would have only been full and that's it.

There is still a lot of potential in Stellaris though. I like the trade route and piracy system and the galactic market is a neat way to exchange resources that have hit your storage capacities against metals (of which I am chronically short of). But the lack of inter-empire trade routes is annoying and takes away from trade treaties and piracy in that the former only gives you a flat bonus on economic might and the latter is solely an internal issue, not an external as you would logically expect.

5 hours ago, Toth said:

There is still a lot of potential in Stellaris though. I like the trade route and piracy system and the galactic market is a neat way to exchange resources that have hit your storage capacities against metals (of which I am chronically short of). 

I'm always short on alloys for whatever reason. Everything will be near the cap but alloys. 

I don't really get what "trade value" is and never go out of my way to collect it. 

Archived