Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Red Tiger

11 hours ago, Toth said:

I just saw that even my Stellaris base game got three of these really interesting background story features from the Federations update. One seems to be the vanilla unified government start, but the other two are basically Stargate (you find an old jumpgate in your home system) and Battlestar Galactica (you are the colony of a lost civilization that is still somewhere out there).

I now really want to try out the colony one!

Oooh and I see they're calming to have made significant improvements to late game performance. I hope they improved the AI too. 

All right, so with the possibility I might be instructed to shut in for a while I got an XBox One X.  Came with Fallen Order.  Got to say, the trash talk when that stormtrooper killed me ten minutes in was pretty funny.

Am probably going to finally take a run at GTA4, since I played about 10% of it on my 360.  Tried loading up Oblivion, since for whatever reason Skyrim isn't back compatible, and man the melee combat sucks.  Probably been ruined by Dark Souls series on that.

Based on all that, anyone have suggestions for what game to go for next?  My PC is fairly old, but with upgrades is probably still running at least as fast as the Xbox (more RAM and SSD).  Pretty sure there aren't a lot of forgotten 4k gems yet, but that's sort of the vibe I'm shooting for.

17 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

All right, so with the possibility I might be instructed to shut in for a while I got an XBox One X.  Came with Fallen Order.  Got to say, the trash talk when that stormtrooper killed me ten minutes in was pretty funny.

Am probably going to finally take a run at GTA4, since I played about 10% of it on my 360.  Tried loading up Oblivion, since for whatever reason Skyrim isn't back compatible, and man the melee combat sucks.  Probably been ruined by Dark Souls series on that.

Based on all that, anyone have suggestions for what game to go for next?  My PC is fairly old, but with upgrades is probably still running at least as fast as the Xbox (more RAM and SSD).  Pretty sure there aren't a lot of forgotten 4k gems yet, but that's sort of the vibe I'm shooting for.

They'll probably give you a free trial of the game pass, I would take that and just try the games they have until one clicks. 

14 hours ago, Cuellar said:

Fired WoW back up and been playing.  Anyone still playing? If so, what server?   Classic or regular? 

With Coronavirus, had some freetime and have been playing casually on Dark Iron. 

I actually picked up WoW again a while ago, mostly to try out Classic, but I quit and went to retail WoW after a bit, and have been having fun grinding for mounts and just leveling random alts. I play on Quel'dorei, since that's where all my old characters were, still sitting there after almost a decade gone. :lol:

On 3/20/2020 at 2:30 PM, Rhom said:

On the negative side... I just paid my credit card bill and that nearly $400 for the limited edition FFVII remake with the statue of Cloud on the motorcycle is really looking like a foolish purchase...

It's only a foolish purchase if the statue doesn't fulfill its purpose.

Was its purpose to make me jealous as hell?

Because damn it you succeeded at that.

Well, I still jump back into Project Cars for some reason. Since the Kart One championship is over there are now a plethora of other events before Superkart season starts. Most of those were pretty good, driving actual cars is quite nice! However, the last two track days were insane. The first one I still won, despite my Porsche absolutely hating every single corner. But the next one was insane. Driving an Audi R8 against BAC Monos? Are they trying to kill me? I'm playing this at 45% difficulty level and couldn't even hope to overtake the guy in front!

I don't post much in this thread despite being a gamer. Mostly because I play repetitive super grindy APRGs that don't lend themselves to long forum posts (unless other Path of Exile veterans want to talk obnoxiously complicated build theories that would be Greek to anyone not playing).

Anyway, my beloved POE has jumped the shark for me in terms of absurdly fast zoom-zoom-zoom-OneShot! gameplay. So I went back to an older ARPG, Grim Dawn, that has far slower gameplay, alas no real online economy, but still loads and loads of fun loot to grind for and loads of complex build potential. It's been a blast to finally get to end-game where the real build-enabling gear starts falling, and your character gets to prove its mettle. Never woulda played this much without unemployment and hermit life.

My current character was extraordinarily lucky and I found the best-in-slot axe I never ever expected to get. I'm suddenly halfway to being a beast. I hit max level which i never do in games. Finally, i took on a lucrative but very over-tuned boss and played a super insane couple minute fight with loads of close calls. Roguelike dungeon so one death and if i die to that last boss I gotta craft a new key and fight back down. He died, I whooped, and he dropped one of a two ring set that I had to look up. Some veterans have put hundreds of hours into farming that one boss for those rings. I got one first try! Alas It'll very likely sit shining and proud in my stash with no partner, as I've no mettle to run a 30 minute run for a 1 in 50 or less chance at the other ring.

Apologies for the ramble. ARPGs are not most people's jam, but mmmm does it feel great when that super rare drop occurs.

Finished Black Mesa (aka Half-Life Remastered). The remastered Xen levels look absolutely stunning, with incredible music. I can see why it took them so long to do. From an aesthetic POV it looks amazing.

Unfortunately, it sits uneasily alongside the rest of the game, which has been upgraded since the 2012 release (the Chuckle Brothers mugs have sadly gone) but not a huge amount, so it looks a bit out of keeping compared to the rest of the game. They've also at least doubled the length of the three Xen chapters, which is a weird choice. Xen is more fun now than in the original game, but not so much that it's worth doubling the length of the section, especially the arsing around with jump pads and forcefields near the end which goes on for way too long. They also massively increased the length of the Gonarch (giant mobile testicle monster) fight but at no point make it clear that she's indestructible until the final fight in her home lair. Seeing a lot of people get caught out by that online.

The final battle against the Nihlanth has been massively improved. Fighting him is much trickier but there's also a challenging series of showdowns before hand with his all-new elite guard of Overseers, which is pretty cool.

Black Mesa 1.5 is in development which apparently will not see any more level changes, only graphical polish to bring the rest of the game up to Xen's standards, which is great but I think they'd also do really well to cut Xen down by around a third.

Half-Life: Alyx reviews are glowing. Easily the best VR game ever made isn't a huge surprise, but more impressed by the positive reception given it's not the game most people wanted or were waiting for.

Spoiler

Also, the ending ties directly into the end of Episode Two and confirms that Half-Life 3 is on its way.

Finally.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Half-Life: Alyx reviews are glowing. Easily the best VR game ever made isn't a huge surprise, but more impressed by the positive reception given it's not the game most people wanted or were waiting for.

Hide contents

Also, the ending ties directly into the end of Episode Two and confirms that Half-Life 3 is on its way.

Finally.

Kinda a pity that the vast majority of people (me included) probably won't play it for years if ever thanks to the entry requirements of it being a VR only game.

Edit: on a positive note DOOM Eternal was exactly what I needed this week. It's not a perfect game (fuck marauders, why do I have so little ammo?) but it's an extremely fun and satisfying one, especially when you get in to that perfect flow state of demon slaughter chaining together kill after kill after kill against seemingly overwhelming odds.

11 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Kinda a pity that the vast majority of people (me included) probably won't play it for years if ever thanks to the entry requirements of it being a VR only game.

If they make Half-Life 3 VR only, there will be riots. I don't think they will, though. Alyx even has a kind of in-game justification for how the VR works which is not the case for the ending.

Spoiler

When you snap back to the end of Episode Two - it turns out that all of Alyx is a massive flashback - and you take control of Gordon again, it's clear he doesn't have the VR gloves and other stuff Alyx had, so fundamentally it would be impossible to control HL3 in the same way.

I jumped back into Stellaris now. In true BSG fashion I made a human faction named "United Colonies of Kobol" and made them a Lost Colony. I'm just 12 years or so in the game and the following scene happened:

One of my science ships came across a drifting unknown vessel, its crew infected by brain parasites. I decided to help save the crew and as such triggered a rather amazing first contact, but with whom?

Well, suddenly directly next to my empire (two systems away from my homeworld) a giant red empire popped up named "United Human League" with Earth being their capital, overwhelming size, military strength and scientific level and a super protective attitude towards me. Sure enough, I am a bit scared that they just intend to vassalize me, but holy shit that turn of events put a grin on my face! I really didn't expect my homeworld to be this close.

Also they are fanatic materialists, democratic and egalitarian, which is pretty much the best possible combination for me to engage in some diplomacy (usually I'm always surrounded in Stellaris by raving xenophobes). The only thing that slightly irks the earthlings is that I picked spiritualists to portray how my roots as a colony have become vague myths.

Luckily F1 2019 was a free demo as the game was too realistic to be fun. I just want to race cars, not micromanage.

Finished season 2 of telltale walking dead. It's brutal even if the illusion of being able to determine outcomes is wearing very thin.

I'll try the 5 day monster hunter world trial tomorrow. I don't think I'll like it but it's a perfect opportunity to try.

Weighing up if i should bother trying to get a physical copy of ffVII remake or play safe with a digital copy.

I’m in a video game rut at the worst time. I went back and platinum’d HZD, and might try to do the same with God of War on the hardest difficulty. I read that it’s ridiculously hard in the beginning though. 

In the meantime I’ve decided to go back to BF4 for the first time in years. It seems everyone else did too as the lag was awful over the weekend. My aim was brutal in the beginning but it’s starting to come back to me. 

5 hours ago, Toth said:

I jumped back into Stellaris now. In true BSG fashion I made a human faction named "United Colonies of Kobol" and made them a Lost Colony. I'm just 12 years or so in the game and the following scene happened:

One of my science ships came across a drifting unknown vessel, its crew infected by brain parasites. I decided to help save the crew and as such triggered a rather amazing first contact, but with whom?

Well, suddenly directly next to my empire (two systems away from my homeworld) a giant red empire popped up named "United Human League" with Earth being their capital, overwhelming size, military strength and scientific level and a super protective attitude towards me. Sure enough, I am a bit scared that they just intend to vassalize me, but holy shit that turn of events put a grin on my face! I really didn't expect my homeworld to be this close.

Also they are fanatic materialists, democratic and egalitarian, which is pretty much the best possible combination for me to engage in some diplomacy (usually I'm always surrounded in Stellaris by raving xenophobes). The only thing that slightly irks the earthlings is that I picked spiritualists to portray how my roots as a colony have become vague myths.

I started a new game too. Like you said it's crazy how different federations are even without the new DLC. I was able to have my people start on a Gaia world, with the catch that non Gaia worlds are basically uninhabitable to my species. It was great at first but I'm now a hundred years in with just two planets colonized. I need to learn how to terraform gaia worlds... 

39 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I started a new game too. Like you said it's crazy how different federations are even without the new DLC. I was able to have my people start on a Gaia world, with the catch that non Gaia worlds are basically uninhabitable to my species. It was great at first but I'm now a hundred years in with just two planets colonized. I need to learn how to terraform gaia worlds... 

I must admit, I only just now got just how crazy the Federations now are as my three quarters of the twelve colonies got invited into one. And THEN I suddenly got an invitation to a Galactic Union! Imagine my shock that there is an even bigger thing above Federations now!

And THEN came the shock upon realizing which empire has the most influence the Galactic Union: https://s19.directupload.net/images/200324/jbrg3vq4.jpg

I knew I ended up in the 40k universe when I found a portal to a hell dimension driving people crazy on Gemenon!

In any case, the game is fairly crazy right now. The three quarters colonies empire has the shape of a sausage since I am sandwiched between so many other factions and with the exception of one (the hyper aggressive xenophobes in the north!) failed to contain any of them. In fact right now I am preparing for likely war against my northern neighbors because they keep claiming systems of mine, but likely won't attack any time soon given my defense treaties with my two fellow Federation members and the United Human League (who are unfortunately being rivalled by the Federation founder, so there is nothing to be done about them).

Archived