Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Red Tiger

Videogames : Cyberpunk Samurai edition.

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, kuenjato said:

FF VII remake is delayed until April, where it will be competing with the remake of Resident Evil 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.  Seems kinda risky to go up agains the hype juggernaut CDPR have built, but nostalgia's a powerful thing, even when they're only selling 20% of that nostalgia :D

Hype juggernaut or not... the broad appeal of FFVII will carry it far past Cyberpunk.  FFVII was the original hype juggernaut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, aceluby said:

The run button is a toggle, so you just need to hit it once to keep running.  I also set up the control scheme to be more like Sekiro.  L1 block, r1 attack, L2 force push, r2 force attack, up button for force pull, square is heal, circle dodge... 

My least favorite part of the game is easily the sliding down sections where you can fall off, and the swinging sections at the beginning (they get significantly easier toward the end), but at least you get to retry them right away

Thanks for the tips, i hadn't realised the run was just a one tap thing. It might be worth me trying the configuration out you mentioned particularly if it lines up with sekiro which is on my radar once i see a good offer.

I know what you mean about the sliding sections. I spent a good half hour on one of those on the wind planet. I also have a particular dislike of the segments where there are battering ram style blocks moving back and forward and force slow has to be used to jump on them.

It's a tough learning curve but I'm hoping there's satisfaction in mastering them. No one said becoming a jedi was easy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Hype juggernaut or not... the broad appeal of FFVII will carry it far past Cyberpunk.  FFVII was the original hype juggernaut.

FFVII is a known entity which will make it far less of a gamble vs cyberpunk which is still a new franchise even if the pedigree of the creative team is there. Vs resident evil3 could be damaging in a "I'll buy one nostalgia fix in a month" kind of way. It comes from the same era of nostalgia and has the added bonus of the previous remake being very well received so is even less of a gamble in terms of playability.

I guess there is a petty part of me that would buy the least delayed game if undecided. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, red snow said:

I guess there is a petty part of me that would buy the least delayed game if undecided. 

 

That’s an interesting take.  Don’t we all complain about publishers pushing games out before they are ready like Mass Effect Andromeda?  But then you also feel that pushing back a release date to have a more polished product is a negative?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rhom said:

Hype juggernaut or not... the broad appeal of FFVII will carry it far past Cyberpunk.  FFVII was the original hype juggernaut.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. FFVII was massive, 20 years ago. Older games who loved it may be hyped about the remake, but how many younger gamers care at all? Meanwhile, Witcher 3 is still one of the top played games on Steam and hits the best selling chart every time there's a sale. On top of that, Witcher 3 has sold over 20 million copies; as last year, FFVII had sold 12.3 million copies lifetime. Cyberpunk has the potential to be a much bigger game than the FFVII remake.

Of course, if we're talking truly talking broad appeal neither game really has it. The number of players in the free-to-play games like Fortnite, DOTA, and League of Legends simply dwarfs single-player games. PUBG, which actually has a price of entry, has had 50 million sales. GTA V, mostly on the strength of its online multiplayer now, has sold well over 100 million copies.

I expect the FFVII remake to be a hit; but I don't think it will make any bigger a splash than the Resident Evil 2 remake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhom said:

That’s an interesting take.  Don’t we all complain about publishers pushing games out before they are ready like Mass Effect Andromeda?  But then you also feel that pushing back a release date to have a more polished product is a negative?

I've only recently started playing games properly again so haven't really experienced issues with bugs etc yet. One perk of buying a back catalogue of games that are a few years old - although it may explain why the "newest" game I've bought (Jedi fallen) is the most buggy. I guess I've yet to experience a purchase where it doesn't feel finished but can imagine it is frustrating. I guess I'm being naive in thinking when a game is released it's a finished product :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah, if its a game that is more open to changes, especially single player games, you could probably expect the community to put together a better optimised/bug fixed/improved QoL UI and features version faster than the developers if the developers even do anything. 

My personal experience is that console ports are especially bad. If you don't get the crowdfixed community version, you're likely to be in crash to desktop hell for at least a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, red snow said:

Thanks for the tips, i hadn't realised the run was just a one tap thing. It might be worth me trying the configuration out you mentioned particularly if it lines up with sekiro which is on my radar once i see a good offer.

I know what you mean about the sliding sections. I spent a good half hour on one of those on the wind planet. I also have a particular dislike of the segments where there are battering ram style blocks moving back and forward and force slow has to be used to jump on them.

It's a tough learning curve but I'm hoping there's satisfaction in mastering them. No one said becoming a jedi was easy :)

I also mapped slow to triangle, so I could move and slow at the same time.  The learning curve is real, especially for perfect deflects.  I hate that you have to press the button earlier than when the hit actually lands.  Took me an entire playthrough to finally get it down, my 2nd playthrough I think I died twice on the harder difficulty.

Couple other things that might help out.  Go to Dathomir right away and get the double sided light saber.  Just run past all the enemies or check out a youtube video to see the path to get it.  Makes the rest of the game a lot more manageable.  Also, some enemies are really hard to deflect, just block those bastards (and some bosses) and get your attacks in when they tire out.  I kept playing the game like Sekiro/Soulsbourne trying to dodge & perfectly deflect everything and was getting slaughtered until I figured out that just holding block is a pretty damn good strategy for a lot of the more difficult enemies and areas.

Also, use your upgrades solely for more health/force at first.  The only other skills I found useful was the enhanced force pull after you get it and the better lightsaber damage.  Save your skill points otherwise so that when you get a new force ability you can invest the skill points you have in things that will actually help you.  And if you're not against it, you can use a guide to help find the extra stim canisters in each of the areas.  More stims + not wasting skill points + early double sided lightsaber makes the game significantly easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed until September, so that point ended up being moot.

There's also absolutely no question that 2077 is the most eagerly awaited game of 2020 by the masses. The combination of the CDPR/Witcher hype, which was huge before the Netflix show and is now on another level, plus the Keanu Reeves Factor which no other game has going for it, has pushed it up to the top of the tree. CP77 is also launching as a multi-platform game and is an open-world CRPG reportedly exceeding The Witcher 3 in size significantly, making it likely well over 100 hours in length (and that's really 100 hours, not 8 hours to complete the main quest and then 200 hours of dicking around if you fancy it, a la Skyrim).

FFVIIR certainly has some hype building up for it, but it's a PS4-only remake of the game that came out 23 years ago. I think it will be a much bigger deal than Resident Evil II's remake, but it won't be up to the level of CP77 (or probably Last of Us II, which I expect to be the second-biggest game of the year).

Edited by Werthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

making it likely well over 100 hours in length (and that's really 100 hours, not 8 hours to complete the main quest and then 200 hours of dicking around if you fancy it, a la Skyrim).

Huh, I'm not sure how I feel about that given how bad I am at finishing games these days. 

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

FFVIIR certainly has some hype building up for it, but it's a PS4-only remake of the game that came out 23 years ago.

Somehow I was unaware of this and just assumed it'd be cross platform like the recent Final Fantasy games. Weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Huh, I'm not sure how I feel about that given how bad I am at finishing games these days. 

Somehow I was unaware of this and just assumed it'd be cross platform like the recent Final Fantasy games. Weird. 

It has an exclusivity period of a year, so the assumption is that XB1 and PC versions (and presumably PS5 and XB2 upgrades) will follow in 2021.

For The Witcher 3 you can finish the entire main game and both the DLCs in a combined run-through of around 88 hours, including all story side-quests but not all the optional treasure hunt stuff (which is my current record). However, I deliberately dialled down the combat to easy (when it's so easy as to be almost non existent). On a more moderate setting probably every fight in the game will be doubled in length, which would take the total probably close to 100 hours or over it.

Cyberpunk 2077 I can't really see being smaller. The map is reportedly similar in size but CP2077 has far more buildings you can go into and a ton more verticality to it.

Edited by Werthead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woah.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is coming to PC. This is the first-ever Sony-developed-and-financed video game to be released on PC. Previously, independent developers like Square and Quantic Dream have been able to port games to PC after their Sony exclusivity period ends, but this is an actual arm of Sony releasing a game on PC.

I strongly suspect Sony will leverage the PlayStation Now service, adding a Steam-like download service, and make this an exclusive through there. We could see other Sony exclusives follow, with maybe the pattern being a year or so between release on the console and on PC. Things like Last of Us could theoretically follow.

This is unexpected and potentially huge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, red snow said:

FFVII is a known entity which will make it far less of a gamble vs cyberpunk which is still a new franchise even if the pedigree of the creative team is there. Vs resident evil3 could be damaging in a "I'll buy one nostalgia fix in a month" kind of way. It comes from the same era of nostalgia and has the added bonus of the previous remake being very well received so is even less of a gamble in terms of playability.

I guess there is a petty part of me that would buy the least delayed game if undecided. 

 

It's weird though. FF7 was my favorite game for maybe a decade. I still love it, though it is hard to go back to, but when it comes out with Cyberpunk, Vampire Bloodlines, and Resident Evil 3? It's at the bottom of that list. I mentioned it before, but I am super nervous about how much they changed in this remaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed until September, so that point ended up being moot.

There's also absolutely no question that 2077 is the most eagerly awaited game of 2020 by the masses. The combination of the CDPR/Witcher hype, which was huge before the Netflix show and is now on another level, plus the Keanu Reeves Factor which no other game has going for it, has pushed it up to the top of the tree. CP77 is also launching as a multi-platform game and is an open-world CRPG reportedly exceeding The Witcher 3 in size significantly, making it likely well over 100 hours in length (and that's really 100 hours, not 8 hours to complete the main quest and then 200 hours of dicking around if you fancy it, a la Skyrim).

FFVIIR certainly has some hype building up for it, but it's a PS4-only remake of the game that came out 23 years ago. I think it will be a much bigger deal than Resident Evil II's remake, but it won't be up to the level of CP77 (or probably Last of Us II, which I expect to be the second-biggest game of the year).

Man. That sucks. I guess I could end up getting FF7 now. I'm super bummed about Cyberpunk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aceluby said:

I also mapped slow to triangle, so I could move and slow at the same time.  The learning curve is real, especially for perfect deflects.  I hate that you have to press the button earlier than when the hit actually lands.  Took me an entire playthrough to finally get it down, my 2nd playthrough I think I died twice on the harder difficulty.

Couple other things that might help out.  Go to Dathomir right away and get the double sided light saber.  Just run past all the enemies or check out a youtube video to see the path to get it.  Makes the rest of the game a lot more manageable.  Also, some enemies are really hard to deflect, just block those bastards (and some bosses) and get your attacks in when they tire out.  I kept playing the game like Sekiro/Soulsbourne trying to dodge & perfectly deflect everything and was getting slaughtered until I figured out that just holding block is a pretty damn good strategy for a lot of the more difficult enemies and areas.

Also, use your upgrades solely for more health/force at first.  The only other skills I found useful was the enhanced force pull after you get it and the better lightsaber damage.  Save your skill points otherwise so that when you get a new force ability you can invest the skill points you have in things that will actually help you.  And if you're not against it, you can use a guide to help find the extra stim canisters in each of the areas.  More stims + not wasting skill points + early double sided lightsaber makes the game significantly easier.

I think that's where I'm going wrong with my blocks in that i try and time them for the impact of the attack but it seems that's not actually the case and is different for each enemy type.

I definitely need to take a diversion and grab the double lightsaber too.

I equally admire and curse how enemies respawn if you force heal. I like how they aren't making it easy but at the same time I sometimes think "the only reason I need to heal is because i barely got through those enemies and don't want to do again".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It's weird though. FF7 was my favorite game for maybe a decade. I still love it, though it is hard to go back to, but when it comes out with Cyberpunk, Vampire Bloodlines, and Resident Evil 3? It's at the bottom of that list. I mentioned it before, but I am super nervous about how much they changed in this remaster.

I think once a game becomes super close in your memory/heart you become very wary and protective of it. If cyberpunk is crap it'll be disappointing but it isn't "ruining" other games or memories of them.

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Man. That sucks. I guess I could end up getting FF7 now. I'm super bummed about Cyberpunk!

I think the way these delay announcements are going everything will wind up being released in the same order anyhow. I think Cyberpunk have been most realistic with the longest delay. I sometimes wonder how much can be done in a month. It also probably suggests that the folk at Cyberpunk aren't cracking the whip as much as some studios do. I hope so anyhow as I've read a few horror stories about employment practices in gaming world that puts grumbling about delays/cost into perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red snow said:

I think that's where I'm going wrong with my blocks in that i try and time them for the impact of the attack but it seems that's not actually the case and is different for each enemy type.

I definitely need to take a diversion and grab the double lightsaber too.

I equally admire and curse how enemies respawn if you force heal. I like how they aren't making it easy but at the same time I sometimes think "the only reason I need to heal is because i barely got through those enemies and don't want to do again".

Spoiler

Once you have Force Push, you can also make a double light saber in a workshop on Bogano. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inkdaub said:
  Hide contents

Once you have Force Push, you can also make a double light saber in a workshop on Bogano. 

 

I do have that skill now so is it easier to get via this route?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I would say it is easier.  You have to fight a few little beasts and one big beast.  That's about it.  Look up a vid maybe for the path as that planet has so much platforming I could never describe it.  It's not very hard to find.  It's between the ship and that huge dragon that is lounging a ways off.  By the zip line that drops on the elevator...haha doesn't help I know.  It was the first time I encountered a big frog beast.  The bridge is near him and the shop is up the hill from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inkdaub said:

It's between the ship and that huge dragon that is lounging a ways off.  By the zip line that drops on the elevator...haha doesn't help I know.  It was the first time I encountered a big frog beast.  

If I had no idea what you were talking about and only read this descriptor I'd think you were talking about the craziest idea for a game every.  :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...