What will happen to Stannis in next book

Putin

For me and my cousin with who I discuss asoiaf, Stannis is one of favorite characters (at least those still alive) . So what you guys think will happen to him in books ? What theories people are making ?

I think he will die in battle against white walkers.

MOD Edit to remove reference to show.

13 minutes ago, Putin said:

I think he will win but that he will die in battle against white walkers.

Honestly, I think this is the best possible end for him that I think we can reasonably expect. He’s never going to be king, nor do I think would he even want to be king, he just sees it as a rightful duty to be endured. In a way, that makes him one of the better candidates to be king. But he won’t make it. At best, he will die a hero’s death, remembered as the King who Cared by the North, held up for his best traits rather than his worst.

Beat Ramsey/Roose's army and begin the fight against the Others in the North. Dies with the Queen's Men when he believes that he is the Prince That Was Promised and goes to lead a battle against the White Walkers. This forces Jon to step up and assume the mantle of leading the forces of the living in the North. 

43 minutes ago, SilverGhost said:

Beat Ramsey/Roose's army and begin the fight against the Others in the North. Dies with the Queen's Men when he believes that he is the Prince That Was Promised and goes to lead a battle against the White Walkers. This forces Jon to step up and assume the mantle of leading the forces of the living in the North. 

This. I genuinely hope he defeats the Boltons.

3 hours ago, Putin said:

For me and my cousin with who I discuss asoiaf, Stannis is one of favorite characters (at least those still alive) . So what you guys think will happen to him in books ? What theories people are making ?

His chapters will be the backstory for how he fought the Boltons and got killed.  He was killed by the Boltons.

1 hour ago, SilverGhost said:

I agree he has or will beat the Bolton's & like the idea of him dying going against the others forcing Jon to step in. 

I think he'll prevail against the Bolton/Frey alliance in a costly victory. I can see him losing most if not all of his southern soldiers and knights. The snippets we get during aDwD show the Mountain Men and a smattering of Northmen coping with the extremities of the North better than Stannis' own troops. There's a lot of speculation over how Stannis will win his next battle. My favourite theory belongs to Cantuse who suggested that Stannis will use the now fragile sheet of ice covering the lake as a trap for the oncoming Freys (and it's been picked-up by a few others including Brynden B Blackfish). We can expect Manderly to turn on the Freys. We can also expect Stannis to use partisan tactics as he did with the escaping IB at Deepwood. His Northmen know the terrain better than his opponents forces and they seem only too happy to die in an attempt at defying the new regime. 

I don't know how he'll take WF. But I do believe he'll utilise Theon and his intimate knowledge of the castle and use it to his advantage. I'm also inclined to believe that Stannis has allies inside of the castle walls. And I think George likes to show readers how these big, impenetrable castles can easily fall if you're smart enough to spot their weaknesses. Or even through the use of magic. Technically, Stannis has both magic and inside knowledge of the castle so it's very possible for him to take WF and evict the Boltons. 

I think he will hold WF as he did SE so many years ago. Through hunger and hardship, he'll hold the north until we have Sansa in position to become the Lady of WF and hopefully give us a few chapters of icy sarcasm and he may even take a place at the Nightfort. But ultimately he is doomed. He can't win against the forces of Ice and Fire both and I'm sad to say I believe his deeds will largely be forgotten. But maybe the North will remember. 

The burning of Shireen has been mentioned a lot. It's something that turns my stomach and I hope that Stannis doesn't give that order. But it's going to get desperate. Worse than when Jon held out against the Wildlings. 

This is just a big fat guess. I chose to believe that a group of Wildlings, newly converted to Rhllor, will be the ones to burn Shireen. This group of converts would have the fervour of newly indoctrinated fundamentalists and a firm, Wildling belief that greyscale should be eliminated and never tolerated. This combination of beliefs makes burning the child all the more likely. 

My hope for Stannis is that by the end of the story, the reader can see Stannis as someone who cared about the principles of ruling enough to do something that mattered. The king who cared. A southron King who cared about the North. It's a rarity. 

18 hours ago, Putin said:

MOD Edit to remove reference to show.

Stannis is already dead.  He lost the battle of ice.

7 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Stannis is already dead.  He lost the battle of ice.

Martin did read some chapters from Winds of winter to fans and one of them is Theon chapter and in that chapter Stannis is still alive and battle is about to begin. If you are refering to letter Ramsey send to Jon thats fake letter (at least part about Stannis)

47 minutes ago, Putin said:

Martin did read some chapters from Winds of winter to fans and one of them is Theon chapter and in that chapter Stannis is still alive and battle is about to begin. If you are refering to letter Ramsey send to Jon thats fake letter (at least part about Stannis)

Stannis is alive and will defeat the Freys/Boltons. That said...

Spoiler

Theon I from TWoW happens before a lot of stuff from ADwD, like, for instance, Jon XIII.

TWOW
I agree with most of you that Stannis will take Winterfell. I think a lot of his TWOW story would involve the politics in the North. With the help of Mance and the spearwives to take Winterfell, there would be a new dynamic to how the Northerners view the Wildlings. Don't know how that would turn out. He still has two fronts to worry about, the Others north of the Wall and everything else to the South.

ADOS
The Others reach Winterfell and Stannis is stuck in a siege again. But I think someone betrays him and he gets killed be the Others. He is resurrected as a wight with blue eyes (again). He either fights at the Trident like Robert did, or he stays in Winterfell as a wight. Brienne would probably cross path with zombie-Stannis at the Trident or at Winterfell (a future rescue mission), and kills him (again).

On 1/6/2020 at 7:39 PM, Putin said:

The timeline is not the same. What was in that chapter could have taken place before the letter was written.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:14 PM, TheThreeEyedCow said:

My favourite theory belongs to Brynden B Blackfish who suggested that Stannis will use the now fragile sheet of ice covering the lake as a trap for the oncoming Freys.

It's actually Cantuse's theory, but Brynden B Blackfish is a supporter of it.

Stannis will lose the batttle for Winterfell. I have no prove for this, beyond the fact that him winning against Ramsay means that the Starks will be secondary characters in their own tale. I mean where is the triumph in that? Reclaiming Winterfell should be done by Stark main characters, not an outsider like Stannis. 

20 hours ago, Elegant Woes said:

Stannis will lose the batttle for Winterfell. I have no prove for this, beyond the fact that him winning against Ramsay means that the Starks will be secondary characters in their own tale. I mean where is the triumph in that? Reclaiming Winterfell should be done by Stark main characters, not an outsider like Stannis. 

I really agree with this. Stannis may have a big part to play in this, but he will not survive. RIP Stannis.

21 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

It's actually Cantuse's theory, but Brynden B Blackfish is a supporter of it.

There were actually lots of people talking about that lake being punched full of holes, all sort of at the same time. I know Cantuse elaborated a whole theory around it, but the lake being used as a trap was widely discussed, and by many people. 

Archived