Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/rumor-jar-jar-binks-to-return-in-star-wars-kenobi/

I’m told “Ben” Kenobi crosses paths with his old friend from Naboo, Jar Jar Binks. Early work has been conducted for the CGI Gungan’s return to Star Wars. Jar Jar has a beard to reflect where he’s been and what his life has been like since they were all deceived by a great lie that ushered in the first Galactic Empire. 

This...can't possibly be true right? Do Gungans even grow beards?

One detail I’m particularly pleased about is the return of a classic George Lucas created character. 

Ha, oh dear. 

Somewhat more understandable given that they end saying they loved the prequels but still.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/rumor-jar-jar-binks-to-return-in-star-wars-kenobi/

I guess, uh...Tarpals? Tarpal? Taupal? The other gungan from the prequels who wasnt Boss  Nass, anyway. He had a kind of moustache thingy right? Maybe the beard would be kind of like that.

Linda decided to humor me and we have started watching the films in chronological order (she's never seen more than bits and pieces of the movies until the new Disney films), and we finished The Phantom Menace recently. It... wasn't as bad as I remembered, it's not Plan 9 From Outer Space or Manos: The Hands of Fate level, but it's still pretty bad.  Lucas fell in love with the VFX and killed most of the energy of most the actors in the process. Yes, you can see the bones of what I think could have been a compelling story, but this ain't it.

As to Gungans with beards, Roos Tarpals is the fellow, and he had fleshy whiskers like a catfish.  

From what I gather, the Jason Ward person is very hit-or-miss on his rumors.

(We're also about half way through Attack of the Clones, which is also not quite as bad as I remembered it, but it is still pretty bad. That said, compare how much more life there is to Rey and Anakin when they arrive at Naboo and walk at a real, live location in Seville's Plaza de España, versus basically everything else.)

I remember the first time I watched TPM and even now I think that everything right up to the point they meet Jar Jar is actually pretty great. It felt kind of Star Wars-y and over the top. Then of course they go to the Gungan city and it never recovers. I hated everything in that trilogy right up till about the first half hour of Sith.

15 minutes ago, Ran said:

Linda decided to humor me and we have started watching the films in chronological order (she's never seen more than bits and pieces of the movies until the new Disney films), and we finished The Phantom Menace recently. It... wasn't as bad as I remembered, it's not Plan 9 From Outer Space or Manos: The Hands of Fate level, but it's still pretty bad.  Lucas fell in love with the VFX and killed most of the energy of most the actors in the process. Yes, you can see the bones of what I think could have been a compelling story, but this ain't it.

As to Gungans with beards, Roos Tarpals is the fellow, and he had fleshy whiskers like a catfish.  

(We're also about half way through Attack of the Clones, which is also not quite as bad as I remembered it, but it is still pretty bad. That said, compare how much more life there is to Rey and Anakin when they arrive at Naboo and walk at a real, live location in Seville's Plaza de España, versus basically everything else.)

The fighting pit scene where Padme's shirt is ripped perfectly into a half shirt by that beast makes me laugh every time.

Yeah, I feel like it'll end up about as bad as I remembered it when we get to the second half of the film. That bit was just... jeez.

And she had such lovely costuming up to then, one of the few bright spots in the films being Lucas's insistence that she have some new elaborate outfit in every scene, and the costumers really delivered.

The prequel trilogy gave us the Shatterpoint novel (very good), the Republic Commando video game (excellent), the Weird Al Yankovic song (excellent) and both the 2D and 3D Clone Wars series, which are both superb (even if the latter apparently rendered the former non-canon). So I think they did eventually justify their existence, even if the actual movies are terrible.

I find it hysterically funny that the guy thinks that Jar-Jar showing up in a Wendig novel means that he can't die or do anything too major in the new show.

Given they've already kicked the "new canon" tie-in material to the curb, I'm not sure why this guy thinks that's going to stop them doing whatever they want.

5 hours ago, Ran said:

:laugh:This slip up made me chuckle.

Anakin and Padme were a problem for a number of reasons - bad dialogue, lack of chemistry between Christensen and Portman and a plot that doesn’t really make any sense. But yes, there scenes on Naboo in an actual location at least had a little energy to them. 

Of course Naboo also gave us the infamous sand line, so there is that .

Please feed back on RotS. I haven’t watched it in a long while and i am curious as to whether my memory of how much of a non-entity Padme becomes is correct

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I’ve found TPM is never as bad as I remember and clones is always worse.

The thing that absolutely kills Attack of the Clones is the awful dialogue.  I don't remember the dialogue in the Phantom Menace being anywhere near as bad (with the exception of when Anakin gets into that spaceship and just accidentally does everything). 

A lot of people seemed to be horribly offended in The Phantom Menace by the discussion of midochlorians.  I never really cared that much about it.  I am just curious as to why people were offended by this.  Was it because it attempted to quantify something mystical like the Force? 

27 minutes ago, Rubicante said:

A lot of people seemed to be horribly offended in The Phantom Menace by the discussion of midochlorians.  I never really cared that much about it.  I am just curious as to why people were offended by this.  Was it because it attempted to quantify something mystical like the Force? 

I asked this same question a thread or so ago. Yeah basically people felt it demystified the force and made it a matter of biology.

Also thanks for healing me before battle all those years ago. You're a class act. 

Didn't have a problem with that midichlorian line.   It's a physical reality the force is reaching into when we weild it.  Is it surprising that concentrations of the force would leave indicators in the body?

When you draw more heavily on the force to do something in the physical world, it gathers more heavily in your body than in Jar Jar's body, because it just seeped into you and.... flexed its muscles.    So you'd have elevated levels of something, not force particles but your body's normal chemicals or tissues would react to the energy that just radiated through your cells. 

I think scientists in the star wars universe could find several things going on in the bodies of jedi, like how diabetes leaves markers of itself in the body's chemistry.    But that doesn't mean the scientist would accept these elevated mitichlorian levels as proof of the jedi religion.   It would just be noted in medical journals that jedi who live that lifestyle tend to exhibit higher activity in some cellular processes.

Archived