Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

And they had mastered their visual effects up to the point of making it look good but not making it feel like anything.   Uniformity was still the main concern, making sure it stayed believable from shot to shot.   Adding tension to the computer images is an added layer of the animation cake that came later from other companies who remembered to bake it in.  This production didn't really reach that far or didn't have the luxury to.   Also, maybe the cold feel of it....... makes it a MORE genuine space battle vibe.   The firy explosions may not be consistent with a space battle, i forget the specifics, but didn't they make an effort to muffle things to imply how sound wouldn't be carrying across the void?  And the isolated feeling of your X- wing watching ships blow up in a way that felt disconnected emotionally because there's no atmosphere connecting you to them.  It would feel kind of like it's presented, just a bunch of spacecraft waling away on each other with no pathos being felt by the participants, your death having already been decided by the political situation so you wouldn't feel any Answers or Meaning or Turbulence of Truths coming from looking around the battlefield, just the chaos at the end of things.

3 hours ago, felice said:

And Obi-Wan actually did die then; dramatically, there's a big difference between an old man going calmly to his death and a young man being unconcerned about dangers that he does indeed pass through unscathed.

Also: in one he comes off like an old man serenely facing death knowing he's achieving something and also that keeping calm will wind his opponent up. In the other he comes off like he's on the phone.

But it's not just the acting. There's none of the camera tricks and indeed on-set minor stunt tricks (ie shaking your actors about a little- they pretty much have to do it themselves) to give the scene dynamism. It's all just kinda slow.

Compare that scene to something like this (mostly coz I just rewatched it) which isn't even a dogfight but does a much better impression of one.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:48 AM, polishgenius said:

Nah, that's not it, I've seen plenty of action where I know the characters in question won't die but still been drawn in (hell I'd never rewatch action if that was the problem. It's just that everything's presented in such a floaty way. Even when you're in the cockpit with them and Obi Wan thinks he's about to die they're just casually chatting, there's no frantic energy and no turbulence.  

Obi Wan isn't casually chatting in that scene though.  Anakin is, Obi Wan isn't.  That's the point of that scene, Anakin is extremely confident to the point of arrogance while Obi Wan is panicking and then just trusts Anakin because Anakin gets shit done.  I guess I just disagree with your take on the scene.

Continuing the Star Wars re-watch, we skipped rewatching Rogue One (which Linda saw in the theatre with me) and decided not to bother with Solo (she was sure she was no going to care for it) and went straight to A New Hope, which Linda has seen bits of and never cared for. This time, having gotten through the prequels, and having seen the sequel trilogy, she was rather more engaged. She still found the start slow, but was pleasantly surprised by the pacing and the way the film had very little fat on it -- it had a very deliberate pace and knew where it was going every step of the way. Lucas's editing and direction worked much better here than in the prequels, feeling more of a part. For my part, it really was fun to watch ANH again in a way I haven't since I left my Star Wars trilogy collection VHS tapes at home. I loved it, and am looking forward to TESB.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

I thought Lucas ex wife edited ANH.

She was one of three editors on the final project, but editors take direction from the director; indeed, Lucas fired the first editor on the project because they weren't meshing. Richard Chew and Paul Hirsch were primarily responsible for the bulk of editing of the rough cut. The main editorial contributions she had were in suggesting the use of a couple of popular sequences that might have stayed on the cutting room floor (the droid Chewie yells at for some humor, the Leia kissing Luke for luck), and for sure she was primarily responsible for the trench run, editing it in a way that diverged from the script but punched up the tension. (It's also why there was extra footage around of Red and Gold Leader to use in Rogue One). But Chew and Hirsch definitely deserve as much credit.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:11 PM, Ran said:

Interesting. I have mixed feelings. I enjoy his humor and zaniness, and how colorful he made Ragnarok. OTOH, he basically blew a giant hole in the Thor universe with the destruction of Asgard, and so while that can make for an exciting and splendid film, it does leave the question of, "What next?" and whether he's really up to doing more with franchise work than just upsetting apple-carts.

We'll see with Love and Thunder, I guess.

As much as I loved Asgard as a setting, blowing it up was the perfect setup for Avengers.  Otherwise you have to add in the whole of Asgard's elite to any engagement with Thanos, because Thanos is a universal threat not an Earth threat.  By eliminating the powerhouse that is Asgard in the MCU, you leave everyone weak enough for Thanos to be a threat without being an impossible threat.

But while I found PTSD Thor in Endgame to be a interesting decision, it hosed all his character growth in Ragnarok. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Clone Wars final season trailer:

I always meant to watch the CW (insaw the odd episode, a long time ago, but never knew when or where it would be on). This trailer motivates me to get around to that. If i get Disney when it launches here that is.

(which, btw, the date was move a whole two days earlier, :P )

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I always meant to watch the CW (insaw the odd episode, a long time ago, but never knew when or where it would be on). This trailer motivates me to get around to that. If i get Disney when it launches here that is.

(which, btw, the date was move a whole two days earlier, :P )

Just keep in mind it aired out of chronological order and so that's how it is on Disney+

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

That order will make more sense, but watching them in the broadcast order isn't too bad. (and of course is easier)

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

Clone Wars final season trailer:

Looks amazing.

Also touches on some topics we discussed here and there (the Jedi, their failings, balance... etc). I'm very curious to see how the show will deal with all these topics. With Ahsoka being the n°1 canon grey Jedi this could take some distance from Lucas's own perspective.

6 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Looks amazing.

It's real quick but the look on Ahsoka's face when she see's the painted clone helmets is great. There's also padawan Kanan in there as a hologram at about :24.

Finished The Empire Strikes Back, which Linda had seen bits of long ago but had never seen in full. She agreed it's a great film, and notes its so unusual where the middle entry in a trilogy is the best of the lot. The lack of a Death Star-like problem, but instead a lot more in the way of personal stakes, was a great way to develop the characters (with all the actors refining their broad performances from ANH, which I think benefitted Hamill most as he was able to use the elapsed time between the films to convey the idea that Luke was a more wordly-wise, grounded character, no longer that moisture farm kid with his head among the stars). Ford and Fisher are irresistible together here.

Also, re-watching this after a few years since I last saw it, I was more attentive than I've ever been, I think, to performances, and I have to say Anthony Daniels as a physical performer is often overlooked. He has a few great reaction moments in this where he doesn't say anything -- everything is just conveyed in C-3PO's body language. He's a very expressive droid. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Finished The Empire Strikes Back, which Linda had seen bits of long ago but had never seen in full. She agreed it's a great film, and notes its so unusual where the middle entry in a trilogy is the best of the lot. The lack of a Death Star-like problem, but instead a lot more in the way of personal stakes, was a great way to develop the characters (with all the actors refining their broad performances from ANH, which I think benefitted Hamill most as he was able to use the elapsed time between the films to convey the idea that Luke was a more wordly-wise, grounded character, no longer that moisture farm kid with his head among the stars). Ford and Fisher are irresistible together here.

I always wondered if Hamill very nearly dying in a car crash between the two films gave him a bit more focus (as well as explaining his physical changes).

Obi-Wan show on indefinite hold, although apparently there are some hopes of remounting it as a four-part mini-series in the summer. Also problems on the Cassian Andor series, so Rogue One writer/rescuer-in-chief director Tony Gilroy has been brought in to also salvage that project.

Lucasfilm giving every impression of losing the plot at the moment.

Also, Rise of the Skywalker seems to have run out of steam and may be ending its run $20 million short of Rogue One's tally, making it only the fourth-highest-grossing out of the new movies. Owch. Although it still made $200 million in profit so not a disaster, but way below Lucasfilm's expectations.

Archived