Jump to content
mormont

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Leofric said:

Didn't the Expanded Universe have a story about an entire armada of ships which had all the controls slaved together so the ships could all be controlled by one ship crew,  or am I remembering that wrong?  They should have just gone with that story , which once upon a time was canon.

Yes.  The lead shipped jumped to an unknown location and they all followed.  Sort of became a legendary ghost fleet.  Tracking them was the plot of a book or two or some such as I recall.  Finding them was going to give the New Republic or maybe the Imperial Remnants a ready made navy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-movie-works-jd-dillard-matt-owens-1280459

Yet another project in the works. Though despite the article title I'd be this is a Disney+ thing. 

How long ago was it that Disney had yet again declared a pause on SW movies? Unless this is going to be an animated movie, chances are it will never see the light of day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

How long ago was it that Disney had yet again declared a pause on SW movies? Unless this is going to be an animated movie, chances are it will never see the light of day.

Right, I think they were talking about theatrical releases. Disney just owns so many properties right now and there are only so many release dates before they start really competing with themselves. So why fill one with a Star Wars spin-off that will probably make 300-500 million when you can fill it with say a marvel movie or a pixar movie that will make 500 million to over a billion dollars? I think the next theatrical Star Wars release has to be something big maybe building to an Avengers type event to make it worthwhile for them. 

So I suspect if this gets made it will be on Disney+ either as a series or a movie. They need more adult Disney+ content waaay more than they need more theatrical releases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucasfilm have announced the next big thing, The High Republic, which will encompass books and comics only at first. It sounds like the rumoured movie is off the table for the time being, so this is going to be purely books and comics which is a bit underwhelming.

The setting is 200 years before The Phantom Menace with the Republic and Jedi at their height before they are threatened by aliens apparently "inspired by Mad Max" who carry out a 9/11 style attack on Coruscant and the Jedi have to go hunt them down. The project will delve a lot into exploration and frontier mentality on the Outer Rim, which is newly settled at this time.

Pretty negative reception from what I can see so far, with people pointing out the similarity to the Old Republic setting so why not just reboot that? Also the title seems ripe for mockery and one of the promo videos features the words "Sith Empire" on a brainstorming board, which suggests these aliens might be pawns of the Sith, which would clearly massively violate the prequel trilogy's establishment that the Sith hadn't been heard from in over 1,000 years.

Otherwise, * massively indifferent shrug *

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Lucasfilm have announced the next big thing, The High Republic, which will encompass books and comics only at first. It sounds like the rumoured movie is off the table for the time being, so this is going to be purely books and comics which is a bit underwhelming.

The setting is 200 years before The Phantom Menace with the Republic and Jedi at their height before they are threatened by aliens apparently "inspired by Mad Max" who carry out a 9/11 style attack on Coruscant and the Jedi have to go hunt them down. The project will delve a lot into exploration and frontier mentality on the Outer Rim, which is newly settled at this time.

Pretty negative reception from what I can see so far, with people pointing out the similarity to the Old Republic setting so why not just reboot that? Also the title seems ripe for mockery and one of the promo videos features the words "Sith Empire" on a brainstorming board, which suggests these aliens might be pawns of the Sith, which would clearly massively violate the prequel trilogy's establishment that the Sith hadn't been heard from in over 1,000 years.

Otherwise, * massively indifferent shrug *

Wasn't there going to be games involved in this setting too? I guess video games are as expensive an endeavour/risk as films so I can see why they are going for books/comics.

I can see why they are choose this setting as it should allow them to do stories of their own (I don't think that era has been covered). The problem with KOTOR is that fans will bitch and moan if it is 100% faithful which beyond the original creators (and maybe filoni) isn't a very exciting prospect. As long as it's not a palpatine/Yoda prequel and only involves characters not connected to existing lore I actually think it could be a good move. Then again the potential to have the original baby Yoda may prove too tempting

But if they are testing the water with comics and books I fear it may be doomed from there. The comics are split between Marvel and IDW which seems uneccessarily confusing and it's noticeable that the comic creators aren't the stable of writers they use in the regular marvel books. That in itself suggests Marvel aren't taking it very seriously.

It's funny as the current state of star wars reminds me of ex marvel EIC's comments about DC not being able to make a good superman film/comic as "being like a pornstar that can't get it up". Seems apt to star wars at the moment with it being clear Disney don't have a clue what to do with a franchise that should be an excuse to print money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red snow said:

Wasn't there going to be games involved in this setting too? I guess video games are as expensive an endeavour/risk as films so I can see why they are going for books/comics.

I can see why they are choose this setting as it should allow them to do stories of their own (I don't think that era has been covered). The problem with KOTOR is that fans will bitch and moan if it is 100% faithful which beyond the original creators (and maybe filoni) isn't a very exciting prospect. As long as it's not a palpatine/Yoda prequel and only involves characters not connected to existing lore I actually think it could be a good move. Then again the potential to have the original baby Yoda may prove too tempting

But if they are testing the water with comics and books I fear it may be doomed from there. The comics are split between Marvel and IDW which seems uneccessarily confusing and it's noticeable that the comic creators aren't the stable of writers they use in the regular marvel books. That in itself suggests Marvel aren't taking it very seriously.

It's funny as the current state of star wars reminds me of ex marvel EIC's comments about DC not being able to make a good superman film/comic as "being like a pornstar that can't get it up". Seems apt to star wars at the moment with it being clear Disney don't have a clue what to do with a franchise that should be an excuse to print money.

Yeah, coordinating a video game release, as in a proper AAA video game, with other stuff is almost impossible given the unpredictable nature of video game release schedules (when you can have a six or nine month delay just weeks ahead of the original release date).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

They said way back it wasn’t going to involve any video games.

Ah, ok must have misrembered the news item and got the opposite :)

Like Wert said it's a bit of a leap going into it with the games. Although it seems the games have fared better when set outside the Skywalker era anyhow. Guess the most recent one was sort of skywalker era but had more in common with rebels and rogue one show/film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why they made such a big deal of this, hyping it up for a year. Seems anti climatic.

edit: hey if it’s only a few hundred years before the prequels we get to see Yoda.

Edited by Darth Richard II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not sure why they made such a big deal of this, hyping it up for a year. Seems anti climatic.

edit: hey if it’s only a few hundred years before the prequels we get to see Yoda.

in full fight mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

I've seen art of a Wookiee Jedi. Lucas gonna be pissed.

Wookies can't be Jedi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Werthead said:

one of the promo videos features the words "Sith Empire" on a brainstorming board, which suggests these aliens might be pawns of the Sith,

I doubt that means much tbh. Brainstorming's just that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

edit: hey if it’s only a few hundred years before the prequels we get to see Yoda.

One of the books better be a cheesy romance novel about his forbidden love for Yaddle, and the baby they tearfully froze in carbonite to keep their secret. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not sure why they made such a big deal of this, hyping it up for a year. Seems anti climatic.

It does sound like the first new movie, the one Weis & Benioff were involved with, was going to be set in this period as well, so the logic was that we'd have a year and a bit of build-up before the film came out. Then the films got put on hiatus and delayed to 2022 (making it two years of buildup, but that could still work), then Solo bombed, then Weis & Benioff quit, then the Rise of the Skywalker underperformed, and Disney now have big headaches about how to proceed, so the next movie tying into this multimedia idea seems to have gone out the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rhom said:

Wookies can't be Jedi?

Wookies have no souls :)

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I doubt that means much tbh. Brainstorming's just that.

Or could be official given how rise of skywalker seemed to use a brainstorming board as a storyboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

According to Lucas, they can't.

As I think about it more, didn’t Chewie have a nephew in the old Young Jedi Knights YA series?  Lowbacca maybe?  (Why is my brain remembering things like this?!!!?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×