Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

That, I can't say, though I feel like the death place of Palpatine v1.0 would probably have a lot of bad juju in general. 

I do recall how the cave in Dagobah drew Luke to it, but I guess you'd still have to be a certain distance to feel that dark side energies or whatever.

That’s what I was thinking of, and the cave that drew Rey to it too.

To be fair though the whole Sith Wayfinder plot point wasn’t a big deal for me.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

She ended the first film looking for Luke to train her to be a Jedi, the second film learning to be a Jedi, the third film opens with her continuing her Jedi training (but not managing to communicate with the spirits of Jedi past despite her obvious power).

Yeah gotta echo this cuz I think it's too easily discounted.  The main narrative - which is consistent throughout the beginning of TFA to the end of TROS - is Rey's journey as a Jedi.  Sure, it's a copy of Luke, and all the other complications, but I still enjoyed watching its realization - and it was emotionally affective for me too.  Easily the primary thing that actually remained consistent within the trilogy. 

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah gotta echo this cuz I think it's too easily discounted.  The main narrative - which is consistent throughout the beginning of TFA to the end of TROS - is Rey's journey as a Jedi.  Sure, it's a copy of Luke, and all the other complications, but I still enjoyed watching its realization - and it was emotionally affective for me too.  Easily the primary thing that actually remained consistent within the trilogy. 

And I think that's ultimately why a lot of people checked out on the new trilogy. IMO the OT is every bit as much Anakin's story as it was Luke's. The prequels at least build on that. The new movies kind of just feel like a cash grab at this point. I think Star Wars universe movies will still work for a long time, but it's time to leave the Skywalker story behind.

At the end, not only was Rey all of the Jedi, she was also all of the X-Men with those crossed sabers, and from the way her holy cross of light made Sideous' face fall off, she had the power of Van Helsing as well.   Draculatine Vanquished.   It was a Buffy finish.

I liked how as soon as Fin & Poe hopped on top of the millennium falcon Londo went vertical and punched the engine real hard, hitting them with,  like, impossible to hold on G forces and some fucked up looking hair probably.

If this was Guardians of duh Galaxy, the soundtrack playing while they used the wayfinder would have been Dionne Warwick's  Do You Know the Way to San Jose.   Drax would have taken it off the dashboard and strapped it to his forehead to see where it led him personally.   

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

IMO the OT is every bit as much Anakin's story as it was Luke's.

I'm not sure how you can argue that when considering the viewer doesn't even know Anakin is alive until the very end of the second movie, which means pretty much 2/3s of the trilogy you had no idea he was an active character.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm not sure how you can argue that when considering the viewer doesn't even know Anakin is alive until the very end of the second movie, which means pretty much 2/3s of the trilogy you had no idea he was an active character.

It's the redemption arc of Vader, the most popular villain of all time, and it does in a way lead with that.

Plus this guy when he was like 8 watching A New Hope for the first time turned and asked his parents if Vader was Luke's father (also quite possible I had seen some sort of cultural references beforehand and just put 2 and 2 together when additional info).

But then again I also put R+L=J together after reading the Tower of joy scene for the first time. That's actually what brought me here for the very first time.

B)

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's the redemption arc of Vader, the most popular villain of all time, and it does in a way lead with that.

Right, it's Vader's arc.  But again, for 66% of the trilogy, the viewer did not know Vader was Anakin, and he still was an iconic villain.  Regardless, one could argue the new trilogy is just as much Ren/Ben's as Rey's as well.  And that's true.  But that's not what gets to me.  Maybe because, just like Vader/Anakin, Ren/Ben killed billions of people.  So..hard to get up for that.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I think finding the room would be a bit of a needle-in-a-haystack if you didn't know that there was a throne room to begin with, or where it was located in the wreckage. It's a pretty big wreck.

Maybe? Same goes for standing in precisely the right spot to use the stupid dagger attachment that isn't obvious to see where you should go, either. And given the lore of the dagger - which is, ya know, given to this sith hunter by the Emperor, I'm pretty sure 'go to my throne room' isn't that weird.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

Interestingly, for the most part TRoS was the film that engaged me most emotionally. Yes, Han's death was a moment, and Luke's joining the Force was stirring, but those were the only things that really moved me, and I realized that all of those moments were tied only to the OT characters. TRoS was the film where it was predominantly the new characters that moved me: the eucatastrophic moment of Poe's apology for his failure followed by the arrival of hope in the form of the fleet of rescuers, Rey calling to the spirits of the Jedi who came before her or choosing her family at the end, Ben's sacrifice.... there were a lot of moments, starting (yes) with Leia reaching to Kylo and Ben's memory of his father playing out, but then extending beyond the old and into the new.

Obviously, mileage does vary on when things click or not for a person.

Bolded - Interestingly that's one of the few character beats that is actually a progression from the character arc in TLJ. Poe has accepted the greater burden of leadership he now carries, but finds himself at a point where he needs to jump in a X-Wing and blow stuff up only to fail at that part, but be saved by the rest of the mission that they sent off to gather reinforcements. He didn't choose the X-Wing way though, it was the back against the wall moment.

I think Rey choosing her family would have landed much heavier for me if she'd chosen Organa. Preferably on Naboo or somewhere else rather than Tatooine. She had more time and connection with Leia (even if it was off screen) than with Luke, and the Organa name has been more consistent with fighting space fascism, given Bail was fighting the Empire from day 0.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ten points to DMC for proper use of 'affective'.

Surely this should be -100 points for rubbing his unnatural knowledge in our faces.

6 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Bolded - Interestingly that's one of the few character beats that is actually a progression from the character arc in TLJ. Poe has accepted the greater burden of leadership he now carries, but finds himself at a point where he needs to jump in a X-Wing and blow stuff up only to fail at that part, but be saved by the rest of the mission that they sent off to gather reinforcements. He didn't choose the X-Wing way though, it was the back against the wall moment.

I think Rey choosing her family would have landed much heavier for me if she'd chosen Organa. Preferably on Naboo or somewhere else rather than Tatooine. She had more time and connection with Leia (even if it was off screen) than with Luke, and the Organa name has been more consistent with fighting space fascism, given Bail was fighting the Empire from day 0.

Surely this should be -100 points for rubbing his unnatural knowledge in our faces.

Yeah, I’d even be ok if she went with Solo, but the Skywalker thing, to me, Just seemed like fanwank turned up to 11. Terrio has a quote out about how he felt separating the twins was the biggest sin of the PT and I wonder honestly if Return of the Jedi is the only Star Wars film he’s seen.

True story- -  during the 10 seconds when Rey was just standing there before she said Skywalker, the lady in the seat next to me figured it out and whispered to herself, "....Skywalker!"

I guess if your name was Adolph in 1946 you'd change it to Palpatine.    If you're a Palpatine after Sideous you'd feel like there's other families that should continue more than yours, like the name of the guy who gave you life.    I got why they did it, but during that long pregnant pause i still kind of grumbled.  

18 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

True story- -  during the 10 seconds when Rey was just standing there before she said Skywalker, the lady in the seat next to me figured it out and whispered to herself, "....Skywalker!"

Well, it's also the only way the title makes any sense, no? 

Not that Attack of the Clones makes sense. I mean sure they attacked...the bad guys. 

2 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It sounds punchier than "Arrival of the Clones [You know, of 'The Clone Wars' fame *nudge* *nudge*]"

I know but I'd rather Nancy Drew and the Mystery of the Clones of Kamino than that. 

Archived