Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

Holy cow i thought this was an awful film.... So Rey couldn't kill Palpatine, lest she become the embodiment of all the Sith... except she killed him 5 minutes later... and when the hell did lea become a Jedi Master?... so not only is the Force a terrific long distance video conferencing carrier, it's also capable of healing? who Knew?.... and that assassin chick goes from wanting to kill Poe, to totally trusting him in literally 30 seconds... So those knights of Ren were tough customers, huh?... Hux announcing "I'm the Spy"... and quite a spy you re, sir... just yuck.

I did like the light saber fight on the fallen death star... and Jannah & her crew.... 

So the same sex couple that was reported before the movie's release ended up being Fin & Poe?

Who did everyone end up with?    Unclear.  Lucas must have been like, "you also want me to play matchmaker with other people's characters?  (OPC).   I ain't got time for dat!   Their hookups can be added in a DLC later."

So .....Rose was sort of on the outside looking in as Fin made googly eyes at Jannah, but Fin and Poe also were prioritizing each other, like "we both found ourselves at the same time, together, and I see my own newfound sense of purpose reflected back at me when I look into your eyes."    So it's not clear if those two are off the market because they found adulthood to be more important than dating for the moment..... in each other's company.

Rey is making herself unavailable unless you can hump a desert.  Londo is shit out of luck, but only because Leia up and croaked on him.  In another universe in which she survived, those two probably would have danced to Lionel Richie as the final scene.   

The emperor ate his own lightning, which counts as onanism.  He was always all about himself, except for that time when he showed way too much interest in a kid and feeling the kid's hatred flowing real good and hot and all that.  He mostly got off on that.

Who am I leaving out?   Chewie?  He had Maz.   Search your feelings.  You know it to be true.   Poe?  He kind of had that helmet babe on the hook, the one who kept rejecting him and then stalking him and keeping her visor down so no one could see her salivating for some DAMN!erik.

The droid orgy was going to happen.  That new one?  Come on.  It loved its new arrangement.   And C3PO can be talked into anything at this point.

Can't remember any other characters.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

when the hell did lea become a Jedi Master?

At some point during the two or three decades between finding out she had strong Force potential and Luke running off to be a hermit, maybe?

7 minutes ago, felice said:

At some point during the two or three decades between finding out she had strong Force potential and Luke running off to be a hermit, maybe?

The use of young Hamill and Fisher faces definitely suggests it's in the earlier part of that time -- probably within 5-6 years of RotJ, I'd guess.

If this is real, people still should bear in mind that comparing one person's second-hand extremely boiled down summary of an early draft of a script to a finished film is not a like-for-like comparison. It's like comparing a list of recipe ideas to a working restaurant. 

4 hours ago, mormont said:

If this is real, people still should bear in mind that comparing one person's second-hand extremely boiled down summary of an early draft of a script to a finished film is not a like-for-like comparison. It's like comparing a list of recipe ideas to a working restaurant. 

You don't say? 

This outline sounds better than the garbage that was RoS. Least there seems to be some logic and continuity. Would JJ have fucked it up? More than likely, but at least the story sounds better, and Luke does something. 

I prefer the movies we got to this screenplay summary. TROS wasn’t perfect but it was fun. Luke should have been in it more and R2D2 was dissed (really killed all my favorite theories about R2 being the most important character). 

This outline seems like it is trying to ground the film's action in an actual story that explains some of the state of the universe, rather than, what ended up being basically a GOT later stage style of a bunch of set pieces that lacked proper explanation and that did  not hang together well.  This story, fleshed out and polished seems much stronger than what we ended up with.

So, Linda and I finished watching the prequels. See here for brief thoughts on TPM. On Attack of the Clones, first, it's pretty clear on the rewatch that I never saw that film in its entirety until now... and I'm not really sorry that was the case, but I'm glad I did watch it. Main observations to be had were that the action sequences were mostly truly terrible, and IMDB's trivia explains a lot of it because two of the set pieces (the factory, and even much of the final battle) were mostly done in reshoots to "punch up" the action. The Jedi just look awful in that arena scene, and the factory felt like Lucas had been playing too many videogames. 

But of course, the big fly in the soup has always been Hayden Christensen, or at least that's the popular account. But I have to say, Natalie Portman was given very generous cover by critics, because she's mostly a void in this film, and if you have her being dead-eyed on the one hand and you have Hayden Christensen being led down the dark path of third-rate James Dean, and both of them are clearly uncomfortable with how much bloody greenscreen they have to work with (I know Christensen was explicit about it being a trial for him; one of his favorite scenes to shoot was the bar sequence at the end of the speeder chase, because it was an actual set with actual extras), all while be directed by a director who won't do more than three takes, isn't good at directing actors to begin with, and has the bright idea of splicing together multiple takes even within a single line read ... well, it's going to led to truly wooden, terrible performances. I feel sorry for Christensen ending up in that situation, and getting the hatred that he did. 

There's a real lack of any sense of urgency or real stakes in AotC, as well. A lot of this is due to the direction and writing, again. 

And then Revenge of the Sith, which I also never saw in full until now. I have to say, both Portman and Christensen do better in the film, for the most part; I'd say Christensen is "most improved", with Portman second. I don't know if extra maturity between films, Tom Stoppard's script polish, or what, , but in any case, they are largely passable and at times even a little moving. Ewan McGregor is particularly good in the first half of the film, seems really comfortable, then that big fight with Grievous happens somewhere and he phones it in like everyone else in these CGI fests before recovering for the end. There is a bit of pathos in how it all ends, but the film isn't good enough to earn it. Opening space battle was okay, but nothing on RotJ or Rogue One, IMO. Bail Organa becomes a main supporting character all the sudden in that back half, as if they forgot about him until then, which is funny. Ian McDiarmid goes way over the top, though, have to say. And boy, those plot holes like how all the clone troopers turned on the Jedi when they heard Order 66, no explanation at all.... ;) (I'm just poking fun at you "plot holes" people). 

Pacing was better in RotS, for sure. Jar Jar was progressively reduced in prominence from TPM, which was all the good. The Obi-Wan - Anakin fight was pretty epic and all the time Christensen put into practicing and training (per the fight choreographer) shows pretty well. Linda enjoyed watching it and felt it didn't drag for her at all. She notes that it's very much in the mode of Greek tragedy, with someone's hubris striving against a prophecy only to bring it about, and that seems fair.

Now having properly watched the three films, here's my new ranking of the films -- only real change is RotS definitely needs to be higher. Where I previously placed it as the 10th of 11, I'm going to bump it up two spots:

TESB

ANH

ROTJ

R1

TRoS

TFA

TLJ

RotS

SOLO

TPM

AotC

I had to think quite a bit about whether it was over Solo, but decided that in the end it's more ambitious a film and while in other areas Solo is more competent it's just very pedestrian. And then I had to ponder whether I'd put it up over The Last Jedi, and decided that despite the big plot void called Canto Bight and the diminishment of Luke, it's too well-acted and directed, and was ambitious (if wrongheadedly iconoclastic) enough that it'll hold its place.

11 hours ago, felice said:

.I guess... it would have to be then.. and yet no mention of Luke teaching his sister? or that she even had jedi skills?... even when they were under attack?... I guess Leah was the Last Jedi then, and not Luke

It's just such bad, lazy writing... 

Archived