Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

im still unsure why no one will answer me about that supposed episode 2 draft Varys keeps mentioning. Was that confirmed as legit a long enough time ago or...?

Yes. I think I already said that. I read summaries from that script and other leaks before I first watched AOTC back in 2002.

Eh, I know nothing of chips. It was easy enough to imagine that Order 66 was deep programming, as seen in any number of other works, and that that was a sufficiently plausible explanation given their backgorund. Brain chips sound like they over thought it, but I see it probably had to do with wanting to make the clone troopers less culpable because the EU writers liked them so, as Wert says.

In any case, not a "plot hole". 

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Eh, I know nothing of chips. It was easy enough to imagine that Order 66 was deep programming, as seen in any number of other works, and that that was a sufficiently plausible explanation given their backgorund. Brain chips sound like they over thought it, but I see it probably had to do with wanting to make the clone troopers less culpable because the EU writers liked them so, as Wert says.

In any case, not a "plot hole". 

Are you considering watching The Clone Wars and Rebels as part of the viewing project? I suspect you'd enjoy a lot of things about them, especially them both hitting the "Saturday morning matinee" feel Lucas was going for rather better than the films themselves.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Are you considering watching The Clone Wars and Rebels as part of the viewing project? I suspect you'd enjoy a lot of things about them, especially them both hitting the "Saturday morning matinee" feel Lucas was going for rather better than the films themselves.

I probably would be willing, but Linda's not much for animation. I did watch Tartakovsky's original Clone Wars microseries years ago, having been a fan of Samurai Jack.

@Darth Richard II I know nothing about draft scripts, sorry.,

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

@Ran its ok, just the one person that keeps bringing it up seems to be ignoring me, and well, draft scripts on the internet, i could pull about 5 or 6 fake ones up right now. Don't know anything about that site either.

This seems to name the title  of various leaked scripts, and a search points to the text of one of them at least, but that said you'd have to do a lot of digging to see which (if any) have been verified as being legitimate and not doctored.

Disney courting Taika Waititi to helm a Star Wars movie.

As good a pair of hands as you could aim for at the moment, although I suspect Waititi will want guarantees that he can do his own thing and not get shot down like Miller and Lord. I like the idea he could direct the Feige-produced movie, since I doubt anyone at Lucasfilm would have the clout to interfere on that project.

Does Waititi even sleep? He filmed multiple episodes of What We Do in the Shadows and The Mandalorian, as well as two movies - Jojo Rabbit and Next Goal Wins - all last year, and is currently in prep on Thor: Love and Thunder (as well as doing more Shadows and Mandalorian, from the sound of it).

I suspect if he agrees to the Star Wars project that'll mean the icing of his loyal-to-the-source material live-action Akira, although I suspect the writing was on the wall for Waititi and that film given the studio interference and the new faithful anime version.

Interesting. I have mixed feelings. I enjoy his humor and zaniness, and how colorful he made Ragnarok. OTOH, he basically blew a giant hole in the Thor universe with the destruction of Asgard, and so while that can make for an exciting and splendid film, it does leave the question of, "What next?" and whether he's really up to doing more with franchise work than just upsetting apple-carts.

We'll see with Love and Thunder, I guess.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Just to clarify - Wert meant 'The Clone Wars' series, not EU stuff. Like the latter 'Rebels' this actually qualifies as canon.

In fact, TCW is pretty much Lucas stuff, according to Dave Filoni. They were somewhat off the leash for the first couple of episodes in TCW (although Lucas had already decided what direction they had to go) but around the first half of season 1 he basically decided how things should go. Ideas like Darth Maul's return from the dead all go back to George.

Even if you can't get Linda to watch the entire thing, you could try watching the Mortis trilogy - a sort of mystical spirit quest where Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka (Anakin's padawan) encounter supernatural figures called the Father, the Son, and the Daughter which, in a sense, embody Balance, the light side, and the dark side of the Force. They even bring Qui-Gon Jinn back for those episodes, spoken by Liam Neeson.

And for anybody who's interested I draw up a 'proper' chronological watching order based on the official which, in my opinion, makes the viewer experience a little bit better. The official order has the episodes all garbled throughout the first three season, which is somewhat confusing. But in a correct order there is a lot of character development there, a lot of experimentation, and quite some dark stories for an animated show.

Names- -     

Skywalker is too on the nose and makes you feel silly?     It sums up the future we're being shown in that one word, so it's a better name than the movie titles lately.  It sounds native american, spiritual, and the force is a spiritual connection, so that checks out.  And look at our last names now:  Porter, Slaughter, Miller, De La Sol, White, McFarland, Goldstein.     Lots of places and jobs and deeds and traits become names.  In a world where space travel was a job, Skywalker would be a name.     

But Solo for a character who wants to fly solo and not join the resistance?   That is too on the nose.    And I feel Newt Gun Ray also insults my limited intelligence.   I suppose making ray guns is a profession that might stay in the family for 10 generations, so you might have Gun Ray as a family name.  But people would giggle, and then you'd have to shoot them with your ray gun.  I know I had a tough time taking that action figure seriously.

I very much like both Star Wars names (those from Lucas, the new ones aren't all that good) and, especially, the dialogues (some stuff in AOTC excluded). At times they are so trashy that it is really fun.

In fact, after the recent rewatch of AOTC I must say that Christensen's performance is worse than the lines he is given. At times he has such a petulant way of talking and acting that it is really difficult to try to like him.

I'd say the really great issue with the PT is the fact that the Jake Lloyd kid and Hayden Christensen really do not fit well together. The kid was simply a great kid, with there being no indication he would turn into this whiny, self-involved teenager. A great focus of the limited time of the movies should have been to properly show such a progression - and that's why I think the idea that there is simply a movie missing - or perhaps that there should have been some sort of TCW-like show about Anakin's training with Obi-Wan prior to the Clone Wars.

Even things like Anakin being a secret fascist is something that comes completely out of the left field.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Disney courting Taika Waititi to helm a Star Wars movie.

As good a pair of hands as you could aim for at the moment, although I suspect Waititi will want guarantees that he can do his own thing and not get shot down like Miller and Lord. I like the idea he could direct the Feige-produced movie, since I doubt anyone at Lucasfilm would have the clout to interfere on that project.

Does Waititi even sleep? He filmed multiple episodes of What We Do in the Shadows and The Mandalorian, as well as two movies - Jojo Rabbit and Next Goal Wins - all last year, and is currently in prep on Thor: Love and Thunder (as well as doing more Shadows and Mandalorian, from the sound of it).

I suspect if he agrees to the Star Wars project that'll mean the icing of his loyal-to-the-source material live-action Akira, although I suspect the writing was on the wall for Waititi and that film given the studio interference and the new faithful anime version.

Waititi just denied this on twitter and said it's just a rumor. :(

@Ran I agree with you on the whole about the space battle at the start not being as good as RotJ and Rogue One, but the opening tracking shot of the twin jedi fighters flying around a cruiser then the huge battle being revealed below it as they come over the edge is fantastic. It's also one of the shots that really helps lend a sense of scale to the size of the ships, which I guess Lucas was big on when you consider things like the SSD crashing into the Death Star.

As for the brain chips, functionally they ARE the deep programming that you assumed it was anyway. Its just giving a name for the mechanism that did it. And I definitely think they had to come up with an explanation for how clones that have fought so closely with their generals for a couple of years through very dire situations could turn on them so easily - Cody & Obi Wan especially. Rex would have needed it too to sell him turning on Ahsoka who at that point is as much his kid or kid sister as his commander. The other major Jedi he was 'bonded' with was Anakin so he wouldn't have had to turn on him at least if he'd been on Coruscant with the rest of the 501st.

The thing I hated about the opening spacefight scene of RotS is that it just felt so damn weightless and effortless. Even when they were in danger it didn't feel like danger. Compare to the quite similar and a billion times better Leaf on the Wind scene in Serenity.

50 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The thing I hated about the opening spacefight scene of RotS is that it just felt so damn weightless and effortless. Even when they were in danger it didn't feel like danger. Compare to the quite similar and a billion times better Leaf on the Wind scene in Serenity.

I thought it had some impact. The problem is that you know the characters at the center of it all will make it. Even the previews of the movie made it clear that nothing was going to happen to them until near the end of the movie. However, there were a number of minor characters that were no so lucky. Obi-Wan's droid gets decapitated by a buzz droid, and a bunch of clone pilots are killed. One of them even has a name.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The problem is that you know the characters at the center of it all will make it.

Nah, that's not it, I've seen plenty of action where I know the characters in question won't die but still been drawn in (hell I'd never rewatch action if that was the problem. It's just that everything's presented in such a floaty way. Even when you're in the cockpit with them and Obi Wan thinks he's about to die they're just casually chatting, there's no frantic energy and no turbulence.  

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Nah, that's not it, I've seen plenty of action where I know the characters in question won't die but still been drawn in (hell I'd never rewatch action if that was the problem. It's just that everything's presented in such a floaty way. Even when you're in the cockpit with them and Obi Wan thinks he's about to die they're just casually chatting, there's no frantic energy and no turbulence.  

Come on that's Obi Wan. Even when he faced Vader on the Death Star, and knew he was about to die, he was calm and poised.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Come on that's Obi Wan. Even when he faced Vader on the Death Star, and knew he was about to die, he was calm and poised.

But on the Death Star, you had Luke freaking out about the danger Obi-Wan was in. And Obi-Wan actually did die then; dramatically, there's a big difference between an old man going calmly to his death and a young man being unconcerned about dangers that he does indeed pass through unscathed.

Archived