Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I don't know how to feel about this. Russian Doll was one of the best TV shows I've seen in a very long time, but it is almost perfectly antithetical to Star Wars, and boy has Disney messed up what they've done with Star Wars.

During the pandemic, does having your project be "in development" with Star Wars mean you're in a lower circle of hell than everybody else "in development"?

I don't know how to feel about this. Russian Doll was one of the best TV shows I've seen in a very long time, but it is almost perfectly antithetical to Star Wars, and boy has Disney messed up what they've done with Star Wars.

I like Russian Doll quite quite a bit so I'll give it a shot.

I'm also curious if/when they are going to make official that George Lucas is in with Disney now as has been heavily rumoured for months.

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

This is great. My four year old daughter is absolutely Star Wars crazy. Maybe this will get her into something other than re-enacting with her dolls the scene where Leia is chained to Jabba. 

I kind of hope we get a young Leia-themed story. Rose would be good too, especially given how much shit she got from the fans, but what I'd love more is more stories of Leia, especially without Han. 

A high republic story would also be cool. 

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I agree, i eventually wound up really enjoying russian doll despite being initially turned off by the character and the middle class NY bubble. But i can't help but think of a similar character/set-up in star wars. Which is maybe a bit unfair on the creator as she's maybe capable of doing other things and has shown an interest in SF.

I guess toned down a bit leia could work well as abrasive spoiled kid who realises things are shit.

Maybe Ashoka is getting a spin-off and not just appearing in the mandalorian? Or disney play it safe and have mandalorian/Ashoka as connected shows.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe Ashoka is getting a spin-off and not just appearing in the mandalorian? Or disney play it safe and have mandalorian/Ashoka as connected shows.

If Ahsoka gets her own show, it will be Dave Filoni running it.

Don't care when the show is set or who we get in it, I just want decent writers/ showrunners working on the new show. I haven't seen Russian Doll, but most of the talk around it was that it was good. I'd prefer that it's not based on earlier stuff and something entirely new, but I don't really mind previous characters if there is a good story to tell.

Plus, it's not another dude behind the camera/ writing the show, which is always a plus.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Don't care when the show is set or who we get in it, I just want decent writers/ showrunners working on the new show. I haven't seen Russian Doll, but most of the talk around it was that it was good. I'd prefer that it's not based on earlier stuff and something entirely new, but I don't really mind previous characters if there is a good story to tell.

Plus, it's not another dude behind the camera/ writing the show, which is always a plus.

Russian doll isn't just good. It's brilliant. It's especially good right now. 

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Brilliant point :rolleyes:

Russian Doll was mostly really good, but I don’t see it’s any real qualification as to whether that will lead to a good Star Wars property. Feels like there are too many other factors around Disney and Star Wars in general deciding the quality of their output.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, I'm just terrible at starting shows. I find that more recently I'm much more into watching shows that release weekly as opposed to stuff that's on netflix ( unless it's a cooking show, I'll watch those *all* the time)

Will defo check it out soon though.

and Knives Out was a great movie as well, but The Last Jedi still sucked, IMO

When it comes to Star Wars, even great writers/directors can fail, it's not always a sure thing.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

This does raise the question about what happens now to Russian Doll. Somewhat oddly, they pitched it as a three-season show to Netflix and it was so successful that Netflix renewed it for a second season last June, but as far as I can tell they hadn't started shooting yet. I'm wondering now if the second season is still happening (and if they had a three-season plan, why they ended the first season so completely and definitively).

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This does raise the question about what happens now to Russian Doll. Somewhat oddly, they pitched it as a three-season show to Netflix and it was so successful that Netflix renewed it for a second season last June, but as far as I can tell they hadn't started shooting yet. I'm wondering now if the second season is still happening (and if they had a three-season plan, why they ended the first season so completely and definitively).

GOD DAMN IT YOU'RE RIGHT

STAR WARS YOU'RE FUCKING THINGS UP JUST BY EXISTING NOW

Archived