Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

On 4/23/2020 at 12:59 PM, Kalbear said:

I kind of hope we get a young Leia-themed story. Rose would be good too, especially given how much shit she got from the fans, but what I'd love more is more stories of Leia, especially without Han. 

A high republic story would also be cool. 

I think they might be wary of casting a young Leia. Casting a young Han was one thing when the old actor is still around, the death makes that a more fraught choice. Or because the one story they've done which involved casting a young version of the main trio wasn't well received and not making as much money as they expect is the big slap with a stick that shapes their behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

Well, this is going to be my first Waititi film  :leaving:

What We Do in the Shadows (film and TV show, which he also co-writes and directs some of the episodes) is excellent, Thor: Ragnarok is one of the best Marvel movies and Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople are pretty solid. Jojo Rabbit I still need to watch, but has had a mixed-to-positive reception (I am wondering if he is overextending).

He's also written and directed on Star Wars: The Mandalorian.

Unfortunately I suspect this does kill off any chance of Waititi's Akira movie.

Lol. I recently rewatched one of the amazing "Star Wars - Galaxy of Adventures" Clips and ended up wondering why Disney locked the comment section. Now I saw that they have made a second season entirely about the Sequel Trilogy. I guess Disney balks at the negativity surrounding it and preemptively banned commenting on all their stuff, even though the first season of Galaxy of Adventures was heaped with praise and many asked for Clone Wars material in this art style.

So finally watching Rise of Skywalker as it’s on Sky, 2 mins in...

I thought the opening crawl was a joke. How can a movie be this bad before it’s even started?

- edit. Sorry the next 5 minutes are even worse. Inserting as much exposition as possible into one scene and pretending like we will all just forget what a total 180 this story is.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I thought the opening crawl was a joke. How can a movie be this bad before it’s even started?

- edit. Sorry the next 5 minutes are even worse. Inserting as much exposition as possible into one scene and pretending like we will all just forget what a total 180 this story is.

It gets worse. 

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It gets worse. 

I can see that.

Millennium Falcon scene, main direction for Boyega appears to be ‘scream at everything’ and to Issac to ‘ pretend you are Harrison Ford at all times, but without the charisma’

Some flashy shit happens, like a ‘best of the Falcon’ reel, none of it makes sense, none of it matters, a CGI thing looks worried, Chewie disgraces himself.

I gave up.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I can see that.

Millennium Falcon scene, main direction for Boyega appears to be ‘scream at everything’ and to Issac to ‘ pretend you are Harrison Ford at all times, but without the charisma’

Some flashy shit happens, like a ‘best of the Falcon’ reel, none of it makes sense, none of it matters, a CGI thing looks worried, Chewie disgraces himself.

I gave up.

haha, because of this comment I advise you watch the Honest trailer and the How IT Should Have Ended videos (it might be better if you watched the whole movie first, but it could still work for you)

Oh but you missed out on Ian McDermott repeating his best hits in the most bored voice you've ever seen. Guy checks out halfway through his first line of dialogue and idiots left the theater saying "everyone gave good performances." 

And you won't get to see Daisey Ridley grimacing at the camera during DARK REY sequence. Also known as trailer bait.

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Ohh by the time Poe says "The Emperor is back................somehow" I was in tears laughing. It might be the single worst line I've heard in all of Star Wars.

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

Ohh by the time Poe says "The Emperor is back................somehow" I was in tears laughing. It might be the single worst line I've heard in all of Star Wars.

That first five minutes is jaw droppingly awful. It’s basically ‘oh yeah all that stuff that happened in the last 2 movies doesn’t matter, but what is  important is that the Emperor is back now.. because.. we need him to be’

Hard to think of a less elegant way to crowbar him into the story 

The best part is that they had him announce his return on Fortnite, which is what the “The dead speak!” part is referring to.

I still enjoyed the film overall because it’s fun, but yeah it has significant issues and half of it doesn’t make sense.

Edit: I should add I’ve only seen it once and am not particularly motivated to do so again, even though my girlfriend hasn’t seen it.

The one thing I'll give TRoS is that it seemed to unite many of the lovers and haters of TLJ with most of both being rather disappointed in the last entry. 

25 minutes ago, karaddin said:

The one thing I'll give TRoS is that it seemed to unite many of the lovers and haters of TLJ with most of both being rather disappointed in the last entry. 

At least TLJ committed to some kind of coherent aesthetic vision and storytelling theme, and you either bought into it or you didn't. TRoS is just trying to be a Star Wars greatest hits thing with some isolated good moments but no coherent over-arcing idea. It is fairly bizarre.

Archived