Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, a new thread arises

mormont

19 minutes ago, Werthead said:

At least TLJ committed to some kind of coherent aesthetic vision and storytelling theme, and you either bought into it or you didn't. TRoS is just trying to be a Star Wars greatest hits thing with some isolated good moments but no coherent over-arcing idea. It is fairly bizarre.

Yeah, it wasn't clear from my post but I'm in the "loved TLJ" camp - it certainly had it's flaws, but it had a story to tell and committed to it and the emotional beats landed for me.

I turned my brain off and tried to enjoy RoS and I it did have some pretty visuals, but I still walked out of there annoyed at the way it tried up retcon TLJ and wasn't even particularly faithful to TFA. It just seemed like it was trying to beg the people that hated TLJ to like it through the power of pandering and fan service, but didn't make it make sense.

And whoever thought revealing the "Palps lives" on fortnite was flying high on some galaxy brain takes. Yeah it's a popular game, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to a star wars movie audience and the overlap wouldn't exactly be 100%.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What the fuck did I just watch?  Does it get better or worse after the first 10 mins? 

Depends on how quickly you embrace that Star Wars is dead and start laughing at the dessicated corpse tumbling down the money stairs.

I watched it for the 2nd (and last) time with a friend last night, just so we could make sure we took in the totality of the piece. It took over 5 hours because we kept pausing and reflecting on how frantically nonsensical it is.

One line of dialogue we both missed and I never saw referenced anywhere since the movie dropped was Zoree Bliss saying "I want to see your brains in the snow." To Poe Dameron less than 6 minutes before giving him the Chuck-E Cheese token.

I have consumed an incredible amount of Star Wars material in my life. Books, movies, games... I have never. Ever. EVER. Seen a Star Wars character say or do something so violent as that. And the line is just swept away by the implacable tide of awfulness before you can try to make sense of it. 

Shame.

I got past those 10 minutes and the answer is no. It doesn't.

I hated TLJ, but wow this movie is in a galaxy far far away when it comes to awful. 

I laughed when I saw people re-examining the prequel trilogy after seeing TLJ and somehow coming to the conclusion that it's not so bad. But right now I would take a trilogy that was utterly flawed due the insanity and laziness of a broken old man than one created by a huge marketing committee where things happen randomly in an effort to not lose money. 

I quite liked it in thr cinema. Wasnt great, but its a sequel to a kids film made 40 years ago as a homage to Flash Gordon-esq films. 

Tried tk rewatch it last week. Was tired so decided to fast forward through the boring bits. Realised that would be most of the film so turned it off with an hour to go.

Might just nt have been in the mood, will try again another day.

50 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

What the fuck did I just watch?  Does it get better or worse after the first 10 mins? 

TROS is worse than the Game of Thrones finale.

Well, okay, TROS is as bad as the Game of Thrones finale.

Probably.

Yes, like GoT season 8, TROS has killed any desire for me revisit its direct predecessors. Luckily, the Clone Wars happened again, so I have a revived interest in all the other time periods, including what The Mandalorian is giving us.

Archived