Names inspirations

Aldarion

Valyria appears to be essentially Old Grome. Yet names are weird. To take name Aegon, it sounds Latin-ish at first. But Ae- prefix was most common in Anglo-Saxon names, and name itself may have been Anglo-Saxon. It also resembles Greek god of the sea, Aegaeon. Latin names meanwhile did not have many, if any, examples starting with Ae-. So what were inspirations?

I've gotten the impression that a lot of GRRM's words/names are based off JRRT's languages. 
Which were designed around real-world languages, so random parallels should be fairly common. 

https://www.elfdict.com/w/val-
Val/Bal = (Angelic) Power, ‘God’, Authority, a Power
https://www.elfdict.com/w/riia
ria = wreath, garland

https://www.elfdict.com/w/ae
Ae = day
https://www.elfdict.com/w/-gon
-gon = lord, prince (stone?)

https://www.elfdict.com/w/aeg
Aeg/Maeg = sharp, pointed, piercing
https://www.elfdict.com/w/-on
-on = masculine suffix

Aegon = Egg + Dragon

The correct way of pronouncing "egg" requires an Austrian accent

Valyria comes from Valeria, a character from the movie Conan the Barbarian. Valeria was killed by a character named Thulsa Doom.

Sansa & Joffrey

Probably here the inspiration came from Sancia d’Aragona and her husband Goffredo Borgia.

Sancia is the Italianised version of the Spanish name Sancha, which comes from Latin. In Italian, when the “c” is followed by -i or -e, it is soft and it is pronounced like in “chin” or “chess”. But if you pronounce Sancia with an English accent, the “c” is pronounced /s/, like in “city” (or “Sansa”)!

Goffredo can be seen as an Italian translation of Geoffrey, an Anglo-Norman name of Germanic origin.

15 hours ago, Aldarion said:

Latin names meanwhile did not have many, if any, examples starting with Ae-.

Aeneas/Aeneis? OK, the name is of Greek origin, but was later included in Roman mythology as well.

It should also be noted, that in original, Classical Latin the letters ae represented a diphthong: /ai/. Only much later, in medieval, Vulgar Latin did it become a monophthong: /ɛ/, and that's when the letters themselves were replaced with a single ligature: æ.

8 hours ago, Gingin said:

Probably here the inspiration came from Sancia d’Aragona and her husband Goffredo Borgia.

George denied some time ago that they had served as inspiration.

Although it's an astounding coincidence, in any case. Their names in modern Catalan would be Sansa and Jofre, which is amazingly close.

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

George denied some time ago that they had served as inspiration.

Thank you, I honestly didn’t know that! 

4 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Their names in modern Catalan would be Sansa and Jofre, which is amazingly close.

This is fantastic!!!

Tommen Joffrey is Thomas (Tommy) Jefferson, the third USA President.
Myrcella is Monticello, Virginia ... the breeding ground of Thomas Jefferson's bastards.
Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella are bastards after all.

Sansa - I believe is letter-rearrangement of an actress' name. Technically she is Italian.

Bonus Theories:
Arya is Aria, which part of a character's name played by that same actress in a certain movie ... I think.

Also since "Catalan" was mentioned, Catelyn I believe is for "Cat eyes ... nine lives"

Cue in Lady Stoneheart's anthem - AC/DC - Back in Black

Back in black
I hit the sack
I've been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes, I'm let loose
From the noose
That's kept me hanging about I've been looking at the sky
'Cause it's gettin' me high
Forget the hearse 'cause I never die
I got [R'hllor] nine lives
Cat's eyes

Abusin' every one of them and running wild

Cause I'm back
Yes, I'm back
Well, I'm back
Yes, I'm back
Well, I'm back, back
Well, I'm back in black
Yes, I'm back in black

[...]
Yes, I'm in a bang
With [the BWB] gang!
They've got to catch me if they want me to hang!

On 1/8/2020 at 9:20 PM, Aldarion said:

Latin names meanwhile did not have many, if any, examples starting with Ae-.

Aemilius. Aelius. Just from the top of my head.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:19 PM, szbszig said:

Aeneas/Aeneis? OK, the name is of Greek origin, but was later included in Roman mythology as well.

It should also be noted, that in original, Classical Latin the letters ae represented a diphthong: /ai/. Only much later, in medieval, Vulgar Latin did it become a monophthong: /ɛ/, and that's when the letters themselves were replaced with a single ligature: æ.

Thanks. I made myself a list o latin names. Ones starting on Ae- are Aeacus, Aebutus, Aelianus, Aemilianus. Note that these are all cognomina.

Some years ago I wrote in the Puns thread that Jaime is from French J'aime (I love, I like). I mean, the first thing we hear him utter is "The things I do for love" before turning Bran into "the Broken."

All those Ae- Latin names list is lacking Aetius, the most kickass general in all Roman history.

On 1/8/2020 at 10:20 PM, Aldarion said:

Valyria appears to be essentially Old Grome. Yet names are weird. To take name Aegon, it sounds Latin-ish at first. But Ae- prefix was most common in Anglo-Saxon names, and name itself may have been Anglo-Saxon. It also resembles Greek god of the sea, Aegaeon. Latin names meanwhile did not have many, if any, examples starting with Ae-. So what were inspirations?

Not wanting to be captain obvious, but there is the pretty clear Lannister - Lancaster and Stark - York name similarities (plus these parallels go way deeper, with Ned being very similar to Richard the III-rd minus the nephew killing part).

Archived