Ser Lyonel BENTLEY

Ser Lyonel Bentley was one of Rhaenyra Targaryen's Queensguard. His surname intrigues me, it is very similar to House Bettley from the Westerlands.

Is it possible that the Bettley surname was somehow mispelled as "Bentley" in The Princess and the Queen and that error was later repeated in Fire & Blood ?

While I'm at it, I asked a similar question back in June concerning House Broom and House Broome but nobody was able to answer me back then. Maybe someone has more information now.

2 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Ser Lyonel Bentley was one of Rhaenyra Targaryen's Queensguard. His surname intrigues me, it is very similar to House Bettley from the Westerlands.

Is it possible that the Bettley surname was somehow mispelled as "Bentley" in The Princess and the Queen and that error was later repeated in Fire & Blood ?

Could be, no way for us to tell.

2 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

While I'm at it, I asked a similar question back in June concerning House Broom and House Broome but nobody was able to answer me back then. Maybe someone has more information now.

There are few people who could give an answer, and one of them said: not sure.

8 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

That is certainly possible - such typos were in the manuscript in a number of cases (Daenaera Velaryon's mother was originally Hazel Hart, not Hazel Harte of the House Harte of the Crownlands we know of, but was eventually changed to Harte).

8 hours ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

Still no official word on that, although I definitely think they should go with only 'Broom'. That is the easier spelling, hammering home their First Men ancestry, and we don't really need Brooms/Broomes although (or rather: especially since) we have already Cranes/Craynes who are definitely different.

@Ran Do you have any news on those issues?

Archived