Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

Well friends, it's going to be late tonight that I can get to this. 

For those interested, my car - the legendary Mudmobile, 25 years old this year - lives to rev another day.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting home now till very late. Hopefully by 11pm, then I'll pour myself a large dram of whisky and get on it.

Please make sure I've received everything I need from you.

Thanks

9 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Well friends, it's going to be late tonight that I can get to this. 

For those interested, my car - the legendary Mudmobile, 25 years old this year - lives to rev another day.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting home now till very late. Hopefully by 11pm, then I'll pour myself a large dram of whisky and get on it.

Please make sure I've received everything I need from you.

Thanks

As eager as we all are, if you are exhausted, we can wait. 

ROUND TWO CLUES

This round also has a relatively straight forward theme. This time, you get a prelim guess at the theme but not at the clues. There is no favourite clue vote at the end.

So here’s some useful info:

The first answer is there for a reason.

The last two have an element that mean they fit the theme just a little differently from the rest.

1 - Unconscious, his bond unforgettably emerged.

2 - Understated hero’s bastardy unequivocally erroneous!

3 - Ugly hearted, beautifully unblemished exterior.

4 - Tattered visage. Female.

5 - Underage heir. Betrayal. Untimely end.

6 - Usurped, honorable brother used enchantress.

7 - Teenager victoriously fireproof

8 - ‘Unflinching” hard-ass. Bald. Unique excreta?

Theme???

You have until Tuesday 18th February at 10pm

Happy hunting!

no prelims...you are a sadistic bastard... :fencing:

...and by the way...here in flood prone areas of usa, we say "turn around, don't drown!" :tantrum:

no worries i got this...no matter the many obstacles in my path to the bottom of the pack

:smoking:

9 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

...and by the way...here in flood prone areas of usa, we say "turn around, don't drown!" :tantrum:

I love you man but you're judging me without knowing what happened. The water was in a completely unexpected place. The flood warning siren indicates that the river is likely to overflow into the town in the valley soon but it's not definite. This body of water was in a stretch of road on a hillside, on the way down to the town, and it was round a blind corner after which I couldn't stop in time so had to go through to avoid stopping in it.

I'm not an idiot!

ROUND ONE RESULTS

1 Rare blade. Of purpose? Delving.

Author: honeyed chicken

Clues: 2/7

Faves: 1

2 Queen’s itinerary changeable, boring audience elements woefully

Author: Castellan

Clues: 5/7

3 Royal bedwarmer. Outstanding polyglot. ‘Daughter’.

Author: rocksniffer

Clues: 4/7

4 Ribald blades. Opportunist. Paid defender.

Author: She Who Must Be Obeyed

5 Freindzoned rat. Needy.

Author: Fragile Bird

Faves: 2

6 Feathered, Requesting Nocker 

Author: Ser Not Appearing

Faves: 3

7 Red Blue Orange - “Princely” Deceiver

Author: Robb4Ever

Clues: 3/7

8 Reluctantly beds outwardly peachy devotee.

Author: Julia H.

Clues: 7/7 + theme

Standings after Round One

1 Julia H.    18

2 Ser Not Appearing   11

3 Castellan / Fragile Bird   10

5 She Who Must Be Obeyed / rocksniffer   9

7 Robb4Ever   6

8 honeyed chicken   5

I’ll send R3 character assignments in the next couple of days

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I love you man but you're judging me without knowing what happened. The water was in a completely unexpected place. The flood warning siren indicates that the river is likely to overflow into the town in the valley soon but it's not definite. This body of water was in a stretch of road on a hillside, on the way down to the town, and it was round a blind corner after which I couldn't stop in time so had to go through to avoid stopping in it.

I'm not an idiot!

alright my brother...i get it...my bad :rolleyes:

i am properly chastised

6 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Apologies, folks. An archer -> one who nocks -> nocker made so much sense to me and I never imagined the structure as misleading.

i got that part...

i just could not decide which archer it was...which is why i voted it for fav cause it was perfect for Xho that is a fact

:smoking:

I found out yesterday that one of my Pokémon playing friends is a devoted GoT fan. She was almost in tears when I immediately responded to her casual comment about the Meereen knot, since I was the first person in over 20 years of her fandom who knew what that was.

Anyway, I gave her my Round 2 clue and it took her three guesses to figure who it was. One guess was a very reasonable one. I may ask Gabe to change it to a ridiculously easy clue which I had written but didn’t use. I had assumed there was a preliminary round.

I honestly thought Friendzoned rat was very easy for Jorah. Who else was both friendzoned and a rat? Please tell me who the wrong guesses were, it will help me in my thinking!

A quick attempt to solve clues brought me three or more good possibilities for several clues.

Robb4ever, you may have been seriously sucked in!

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I found out yesterday that one of my Pokémon playing friends is a devoted GoT fan. She was almost in tears when I immediately responded to her casual comment about the Meereen knot, since I was the first person in over 20 years of her fandom who knew what that was.

Anyway, I gave her my Round 2 clue and it took her three guesses to figure who it was. One guess was a very reasonable one. I may ask Gabe to change it to a ridiculously easy clue which I had written but didn’t use. I had assumed there was a preliminary round.

I honestly thought Friendzoned rat was very easy for Jorah. Who else was both friendzoned and a rat? Please tell me who the wrong guesses were, it will help me in my thinking!

A quick attempt to solve clues brought me three or more good possibilities for several clues.

Robb4ever, you may have been seriously sucked in!

For the North. ;)

Friend-zoned rat was an easy clue once I remembered Jorah. But it did take me a good five minutes to think of him. Sometimes I think that's the issue with clues. It's not that they're bad ... it's that you have to recall one specific element of a complex character out of a hundred characters before it becomes obvious.

Friend-zoned was narrow enough that I got it. Sometimes the elements to recall are super broad and it's harder to narrow down characters so you're left considering them all at the same time. That's rough.

This is going to sound really dumb, but when I read the word ‘feathered’ I immediately thought of Xho and then rejected him without even reading his page! It was a classic situation of overthinking it, because I thought Nocker was actually Knocker, as in breast, and feathered meant Robin Arryn who always demanded a teat.

Also, there is no word ‘nocker’ and hosts have always rejected words that aren’t in the dictionary. Friendzoned is a new word but is now an accepted dictionary word. I did see nock in the dictionary and finally decided on archer, but then went on to people who had been shot with an arrow ie ‘feathered’. And Anguy, who was rejected for not fitting the clue.

Archived