Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

About Joff = at one point in GoT Sansa calls him beautiful, and from there on I always thought of Joff as beautiful.

Yes, Joff is a totally plausible answer, only Cersei is just as plausible. And I did feel that storywise much more is made of Cersei's beauty than of Joff's - perhaps because we have her POV but not his. ^_^

Out of curiosity, why did all of you guess Sweetie when multiple people think he didn't fit?

(Also, 'heir' could mean someone - usually the eldest son - who stands to inherit their family's lands and holdfasts. It's not exclusively a royal title. At least not in ASOIAF verse. And guess what? Sweetie was the eldest.)

59 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

Out of curiosity, why did all of you guess Sweetie when multiple people think he didn't fit?

I thought he fit, just wasn't sure how exclusively and couldn't be bothered checking the wiki to work out who was considered underage. Thought Robb probably was because I seemed to recall he was only 14 at the books start. Joffrey, I presume was underage, otherwise he wouldn't have had a regent, and he was younger than Robb. Viserys was a less plausible candidate and if you read the clue a different way it could have been Ned. Bit I thought it was most obviously Robb.

13 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

I thought my clue was the easiest.

Also, what bond emerged for Eddard?

"Promise me Ned"

I underthunk the Joffrey clue. It never occurred to me that could be anyone but Cersei - color me sexist. It takes effort for me not associate "beautiful" or "unblemished" with a woman. Which meant #5 was Joffrey. Was Robb really underage? In Westeros the age of majority is 16 I think, but not sure what age he was at his death.

eta: Having read most of your comments I'm more confused than ever. I thought these clues were easy - till I read all your various cogitations.

I still don't see how anyone but Ned fits for #1.

Jon Snow seemed so obvious for #2 it had me worried - who am I not thinking of?

#3 - likewise. How does one get more "ugly hearted" than Cersei? She has every dwarf on the planet put in jeopardy in hopes that one of the dead will be Tyrion. She orders a high septon killed, and on and on. She's practically the second coming of Aerys Targaryen II for heaven's sake!  But hten Joffrtey is even worse, I must concede.

#4 had to be Stoneheart/Catelyn.

#5 inherited confusion from#3. If I had thought to put Joffrey down as #3 - this would have been a no brainer.

#6 Did no one think of Viserys for this clue? It didn't occur to me till after all the clues were posted that Stannis is not the only king of Westeros obsesssed with usurpation.

#7 I really like this clue.

#8 And this one: unique excreta was a great way of saying "shits gold." :)

eta 2: And the theme . . . as always, afterwards it's, "how did I not see that?" which is VERY annoying. Well done by Gabe - and I did notice those cryptic edit notes . . . not helpful, but kind of fun in retrospect.

1 hour ago, Eternally_His said:

He died when he was 16 (at least in the books; in the show, he died at 20).

He was then of age when he died, but I suppose the clue qualifies because he was not when his father died and he became Lord of Wf?

19 hours ago, Castellan said:

I beg to differ. I think that clue is wonderful for Belwas. The only problem is that in his case he is an unusual excretor his excreta is presumably normal although produced in an unusual setting.

He is better than Tywin in some other respects - he is actually bald whereas Tywin shaves the thinning hair on his scalp and grown great lion like sideburns; he is unflinching in waiting for his opponent to ride down on him and when in every contest lets his opponent get one gash in before he begins fighting him for real. But bad-ass fits Tywim more than Belwas and I put unflinching in a search of Ice and Fire and found Tywin's unflinching look features quite a lot.

Wow! You are so right Belwas does fit. My bad! :blush:

19 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

cheers to everyone who manged to get any right...

8...thank you to SwmbO for the 2nd (or tied for first) most specific clue

I am sure we all appreciate the props, N'onc, but the rest of your words are wind!  :lmao:

I completely agree with @honeyed chickenI found these clues to be spot on for the most part and any waffling I did was from reading too much into it.

Now the theme that was a totally different story! Once I had all the answers it was obvious. Every one of these characters had or was the subject of a dream, daydream, or vision. Then upon learning I was no where near the correct answer I spent several sleepless nights trying to decipher @Dolorous Gabe hints and riddles to no avail. I even changed the screen color because I remember a game some time past when you made the hints invisible. I finally collapsed under the strain and went for choices that led to war, even Dany fits because in the show she does come and wage war in Westeros but not so far in the books. :dunno:

How could I have been so wrong  :idea:

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

About Joff = at one point in GoT Sansa calls him beautiful, and from there on I always thought of Joff as beautiful.

She sure does, @Fragile Bird ! In fact she does it 5 times in 2 different chapters! I weighed Cersei who was selfish and blood thirsty, and others as well. However Joffrey killed for the sick pleasure of it - not revenge or a sense of need or even righteous anger but because he was a beautiful psychotic sociopath.  ;)

7 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

eta: Having read most of your comments I'm more confused than ever. I thought these clues were easy - till I read all your various cogitations.

#8 And this one: unique excreta was a great way of saying "shits gold." :)

Pay no attention to the overthinking of others @honeyed chicken ! You refused to go down the rabbit hole of endless possibilities - I commend you for that! I personally find that my first impression of a clue is generally in the ballpark and a quick word search or two usually confirms it. The wiki is valuable in that quest but so is a search of ice and fire website which, provides the opportunity to search the text itself. And FYI, I used the question mark to show that it was a rumor that in the end proved untrue. ;)

29 minutes ago, She who must be Obeyed said:

Wow! You are so right Belwas does fit. My bad! :blush:

I wasn't criticising and luckily Belwas didn't fit with the other characters no matter what theme I tried. And as I said there was the excreta/excretor issue anyway. I only found Belwas because I put 'bald' into the wiki to check for other possibilities.

ROUND THREE CLUES

So remember, we have three basic mini-themes which must be used to work out the overall theme. Add something to the three mini-theme answers to find three examples of something in GRRM’s world (which is the overall theme).

Here is a rundown of what you have to play with:

A preliminary set of guesses for group A

A preliminary set of guesses for group B

A preliminary set of guesses for group C

A prelim set of guesses at the three mini-themes (all together)

A prelim guess at the overall theme

One yes/no answer to a question of your choice (it must have a definitive yes/no answer)

Group A

1 - Claw issue became absurdity.

2 - Crowned insurgent. Boar assassin.

3 - Dutiful imprinting soon becomes hobby. Temporarily?

Mini-theme A?

Group B

4 - Disobedience is sewn before he’s truant.

5 - Disturbing insight stuns brother: hellish talons!

6 - Cringe. Indecent brotherly assailant.

Mini-theme B?

Group C

7 - Dextrous, intrepid, spunky, bloodletting heroine tabulates.

8 - Pushy help wrought outrageous exit. Thankfully, brought insight.

9 - Crural injury by animal.

Mini-theme C?

Overall theme???

I’ll set the deadline for a week from today. Thursday 27th February at 11pm UK time

Archived