Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

I'm out from around 6:30pm till probably near the deadline tonight so I'd rather get to it in the morning, so I'm pushing the deadline back to 11am tomorrow. You have till then.

New character assignments will be delivered shortly.

ROUND FOUR

You should have your new characters now

In this round, we’re back to the standard style of Acrophilia. You will get a preliminary guess at the clues and the theme, and you will get a yes/no question to use. There will be a favourite clue vote at the end because this round does not have author points.

Acronyms

B R K R

G C F B D

W F M G L M

Let’s shoot to be ready to play R4 on Sunday night (1st of March) at 11pm UK time. Due to two players’ itinerary I imagine we might not start by then but we can try. If not we’ll just start as soon as we can on Monday or Tuesday.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:07 AM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Add something to the three mini-theme answers to find three examples of something in GRRM’s world (which is the overall theme).

I totally had a mind block on this and was going about the whole thing wrong.

Wow. Not sure I have enough time now but this is important.

Mini-theme 1 + X = Major theme example

Mini-theme 2 + X= Major theme example

Mini-theme 3 + X= Major theme example

---

^ that's what I think is meant by his words. I can't guarantee because I'm out of guesses questions... But please consider this if you have time, fellow acro-ers

(I don't think rephrasing / clarifying your instructions is bad, Gabe. Apologies if you disagree.)

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

No it's fine. I admire your public-spiritedness.

If I hadn't realized my mistake before the end of the round, I would have been so disappointed to never have had a chance at getting it right.

I know what it is to worry away at the game. I don't want anyone to have it all be for naught just because they didn't even get the instructions right.

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

If I hadn't realized my mistake before the end of the round, I would have been so disappointed to never have had a chance at getting it right.

I know what it is to worry away at the game. I don't want anyone to have it all be for naught just because they didn't even get the instructions right.

I grasped the theory but still had not got there.

ROUND THREE ANSWERS

Group A

1 - Claw issue became absurdity.

Answer: Aerys Tagaryen (my clue, so not eligible for voting)

Aerys became so paranoid that he wouldn’t allow sharp objects other than Kingsguard swords near him. His nails grew obscenely long.

2 - Crowned insurgent. Boar assassin.

Answer: Robert Baratheon

Pretty self-explanatory. King through conquest, hunted boar and was killed by one.

3 - Dutiful imprinting soon becomes hobby. Temporarily?

Answer: Tommen Baratheon

Came to enjoy applying the royal stamp. But for how long given Maggy the Frog's prophecy?

Mini-theme A: Kings

Group B

4 - Disobedience is sewn before he’s truant.

Answer: Mance Rayder

A wildling sewed his cloak back together, nursed him back to health and changed his perspective. He refused to take a new all-black cloak as was ordered and left to live with the free folk.

5 - Disturbing insight stuns brother: hellish talons!

Answer: Jon Snow

Jon sees and feels Ghost being attacked by Orell’s eagle somewhere.

6 - Cringe. Indecent brotherly assailant.

Answer: Euron Greyjoy

It is very strongly suggested that Euron abused Aeron at some time in the past. Also strongly hinted to be the murderer of Balon.

Mini-theme B: Horns (they all found mysterious horns)

Group C

7 - Dextrous, intrepid, spunky, bloodletting heroine tabulates.

Answer: Arya Stark

Fairly self-explanatory thanks to beautifully chosen words. Young female kills and makes lists.

8 - Pushy help wrought outrageous exit. Thankfully brought insight.

Answer: Bran Stark

Pushed out the window (help referring to Jaime doing it for Cersei), shockingly to the reader. Opened his third eye.

9 - Crural injury by animal.

Answer: Eddard Stark

His horse fell on his leg when Jaime and his posse set upon his entourage.

Mini-theme C: Wolves

Overall theme: Forests of Westeros (Kingswood, Hornwood and Wolfswood).

Please send me your favourite clue vote. Clue #1 is mine so is ineligible for votes.

5 minutes ago, honeyed chicken said:

Does this mean you correctly answered ALL the rest?

I got clue 1....

You know why? Because of some idiot writing a clue about red blue orange green purple yellow scarlett chartreuse pink blah blah blah! :drunk:

I thought at one point it was Jon Connington and read all kinds of stuff about him, including the fact that after the Battle of the Bells the mad king fired him and went really nuts, including never cutting his fingernails, which got ridiculously long. This popped into my head after researching Longclaw (nothing absurd there) and endless Claw Island references (absurdly too many). 

I guess I got lucky there.

4 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

1 - Claw issue became absurdity.

Answer: Aerys Tagaryen (my clue, so not eligible for voting)

Ah, so it was your clue I complained so much about! I should have seen the answer, but I didn't.

The reason is that my main mistake in this round was seeing metaphors in places where things were told plainly and honestly. This clue is a case in point. I was sure that the claw had to be a weapon - a sword. So I started with Jaime, who received a cool sword as a gift after losing his sword hand. Quite absurd. Then I realized that this guess had to be abandoned, so I went with Joffrey and his various swords. I also considered Cersei and Stannis, went through the Claw Island references, briefly thought of Longclaw, but never seriously considered the option that claw might be 'nail'. Aerys actually crossed my mind because one of my initial mini theme ideas for this group was "generations", and Aerys was before Robert. But Aerys had no absurd story with a sword that I could recall, so I dropped him immediately. :lol: 

The way our preconceptions can blind us to the truth... 

I did the same with several other clues for quite a while, until I realized that the literal meaning was the way to go. This realization never came with regard to the first clue. 

Anyway, I really like the clues of this round. Most of them were puzzles leading to a light-bulb moment. :cheers:

3 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

Well, forests did pop into my head at one point, but I dismissed them as being too obvious. The host putting in that 'wall' line made me think of the Wall instead...

You mean the line about there being no walls around?

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

Anyway, I really like the clues of this round. Most of them were puzzles leading to a light-bulb moment. :cheers:

I agree. I think everyone made very good clues this round. A high standard indeed!

In fact I made the decision a few days ago to reward every player with an extra 5 points in recognition of such outstanding clues.

Archived