Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

Looking back at round 3 I have a question maybe someone could answer for me about the horns. Euron's and Mance's are easy, and I thought I had a memory of Jon having a horn too. However the more I thought about the less I remembered and eventually I looked it up on the wiki. All I could find there was that Mance had offered him the horn of winter in exchange for letting the wildlings through the Wall, but Stannis intervened before Jon could say yes or no and as far as I can tell, it got burned before Jon had a chance to touch it.

Can someone help me out here.

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

Looking back at round 3 I have a question maybe someone could answer for me about the horns. Euron's and Mance's are easy, and I thought I had a memory of Jon having a horn too. However the more I thought about the less I remembered and eventually I looked it up on the wiki. All I could find there was that Mance had offered him the horn of winter in exchange for letting the wildlings through the Wall, but Stannis intervened before Jon could say yes or no and as far as I can tell, it got burned before Jon had a chance to touch it.

Ghost found a stash of dragonglass weapons and amongst the stash was a little horn, which Jon kept hold of. Not sure if Sam has it now though?

Some have theorised that the little horn could be more important than it looks.

3 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Ghost found a stash of dragonglass weapons and amongst the stash was a little horn, which Jon kept hold of. Not sure if Sam has it now though?

Yes, Sam has the horn now. Jon found this horn while the wildlings were looking for the Horn of Winter. There is a theory that what Jon found might be the real one. 

My first idea for the theme was winter. Kings of Winter, Horn of Winter, Starks of Winterfell. 

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

Yes, Sam has the horn now. Jon found this horn while the wildlings were looking for the Horn of Winter. There is a theory that what Jon found might be the real one. 

My first idea for the theme was winter. Kings of Winter, Horn of Winter, Starks of Winterfell. 

I had crows. Two nights watch guys, one a former, and the crow's eye.

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I had crows. Two nights watch guys, one a former, and the crow's eye.

Oh, I also had crows for the mini-theme in that group at first! In fact, my early guesses for the Mance clue also supported that mini theme. Before I realized that sewing was literal, I had been sure it had to do with Needle, so I thought of Dareon the singer in the NW, killed by Arya for disobedience and desertion. (Only he deserted before he was sewn, so that part didn't fit.) When I realized that this guess was incorrect, I still tried to find something Needle-related, but I couldn't. So then it ocurred to me that it might be Slynt, who was killed before he could desert or rebel. I thought Jon had given Needle its name, so that might be a connection with sewing (even though Slynt was beheaded not stabbed), which was, of course, a weak argument. Anyway, I still had crows for the mini theme, but then another idea ocurred to me, which was elections. Jon and Euron won elections, Slynt participated in one, but again, it didn't quite fit, so I started to look for someone who had won an election, and I remembered Mance becoming King-Beyond-the-Wall. In his case, it was more like a contest than an election, but he still did not inherit the position and was not appointed to it either. It was then that I realized that the sewing was perfectly literal and that the answer could only be Mance. Then I suddenly remembered the horns. 

18 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I had forgotten there was a horn in that stash of dragonglass.

eta: Ser Not Appearing said,

"I took awhile on Mance. Though it was pretty quick once I noticed sewn instead of sown."

I thought that "sewn" was a reference to Needle and Arya, so my guess was Dareon, the singer of the NW who was "disobedient" but died "before he was truant".

Three days and no posts or griping! This is Silence!

I guess that means I am the only one who doesn’t have all the clues?

I guess that means I am the only one desperate for a hint about the theme?

Julia has it all, damn it!

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Three days and no posts or griping! This is Silence!

I wonder the same...  :pirate:

I guess that means I am the only one who doesn’t have all the clues?

I'm afraid you are not. :(

I guess that means I am the only one desperate for a hint about the theme?

Julia has it all, damn it!

Noooo!!!!! :dunno:

I hope I've provided you with some comfort... ;)

On 3/4/2020 at 10:54 PM, honeyed chicken said:

I had forgotten there was a horn in that stash of dragonglass.

There are quite a few things in the books that I encounter and think 'something going on there' but basically can't be bothered working it out and just continue on.

49 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

One player did solve it within 2 days.

The key is the bonus character.

I think I have the bonus character (though what do I know...), and I've been analysing every word related to this character, testing different theme ideas on the other characters, but nothing seems to work. 

Of course, if I have the wrong bonus character, all my efforts are wasted. 

45 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The bonus character is easiest for researching the theme when you don't know what you're looking for.

Well, that's at least good news, because that's what I supposed about my guess for the bonus character. I just don't see that one thing...

1 hour ago, Julia H. said:

Well, that's at least good news, because that's what I supposed about my guess for the bonus character. I just don't see that one thing...

me either, darling girl, me either...

i thought i had it but alas mine was a no go...

Archived