Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

Wow. #1 was so spot on, I totally forgot that first Jorah marriage.

#5 The "merry legatees" suggested Freys, but who can tell one from the other? :dunno:

#8 I am getting all wound up between Cersei and Joffrey. I answered Cersei a couple rounds ago when it should have been Joffrey, and answered Joffrey this time when it was Cersei. While that clue works best for Cersei, it also works for Joffrey who found discipline from LF (the Mockingbird) and Olenna Tyrell - a woman, or bird (slang, o.c.).

I looked up and read that exact passage about the mountain man/the Liddle in the cave with Bran & co. Somehow I missed the food part, but I was also expecting a name. Silly me.

Wow. That theme! Man, am I glad I did not spend a lot of time thinking about it.

ROUND FIVE

The final round. This will have author points so tactically you want people to get it right. The catch is that you have only 4-letter acronyms to work with. There will be no favourite clue vote at the end. You will get a prelim guess at the clues to which I will tell you how many are right but not which ones. You will not be given a prelim guess at the theme. No proper nouns may be used in these clues.

ACRONYMS

J L S K

B A D P

U S I B

Your final round character assignments will be delivered shortly

Wow.

I won't say which clue(s) I think are actively bad but there's at least one.

I will say that I can usually agree the true answer is better than alternatives I dreamed up, especially when I only put in a total of 5 minutes working on answers this round ... but Doran doesn't actually strike me as a better answer than Theon. I'm surprised no clarification came through on that one. That said, unlike the clues that shall not be named, it's still a good clue for Doran ... alternatives aside.

bastards' plural possessive indicated must be sand snakes - no other group of bastards. I looked bastard up in wiki and found that group. They are dissatisfied with him and he faces them as a group when they vent about lack of revenge for Oberyn. We see Doran thru the eyes of his guard. He is always guarded. His approach to government and dealing with his children is also guarded (only just thought of that). I am not the author!

I feel for you but as someone usually quite confounded I think its usually down to the guesser not the writer.

4 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Wow.

I won't say which clue(s) I think are actively bad but there's at least one.

I will say that I can usually agree the true answer is better than alternatives I dreamed up, especially when I only put in a total of 5 minutes working on answers this round ... but Doran doesn't actually strike me as a better answer than Theon. I'm surprised no clarification came through on that one. That said, unlike the clues that shall not be named, it's still a good clue for Doran ... alternatives aside.

ROUND FOUR RESULTS

2 - “Grumkins?” commented father’s “bastard” disingenuously.

Author: rocksniffer

Clues: 8/8 = 16

Theme: 4

Fave: Julia H, Fragile Bird, SNA = 3

Total: 23

3 - Gushingly champions fledgling boyish “dragon”

Author: Eternally_His

Fave: -

Total: 20

4 - Worthy. Frosty mane. Grieved lovely maiden.

Author: honeyed chicken

Clues: 5/8

Theme: -

Total: 10

5 - Waited, fought manfully, gone. Legatees merry.

Author: Castellan

Clues: 8/8

Fave: honeyed chicken, SWMBO = 2

Total: 22

6 - Girl corruptor for balancing dragons.

Author: Julia H.

Fave: Castellan, rocksniffer = 2

Total: 22

7 - Brother. Rambler, knows roads.

Author: Fragile Bird

Total: 20

8 - Got cocky. Found bird’s discipline.

Author: Set Not Appearing

Clues: 2/8

Theme: -

Total: 4

9 - Guarded cripple faces bastards’ dissatisfaction.

Author: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Fave: Eternally_His = 1

Total: 21

STANDINGS

Julia H.    59 + 22 = 81

She Who Must Be Obeyed 59 + 21 = 80

Fragile Bird   56 + 20 = 76

rocksniffer   49 + 23 = 72

Castellan    43 + 22 = 65

Ser Not Appearing   52 + 4 = 56

Eternally_His   31 + 20 = 51

honeyed chicken   35 + 10 = 45

Julia sneaks back ahead on her own by virtue of two favourite votes over SWMBO’s one vote with just one round to go. Fragile Bird stays in contention to swoop on the leaders, whilst the Sniffer - who is on one of his legendary missions - won the round with everything right and three favourite votes. Castellan solved the whole thing within two days so has had a nice break from activity in preparation for the finale. Ser found no motivation this round, Eternally_His had his best performance so far by solving everything whilst honeyed chicken spiritedly keeps on trying.

Hoping everyone can finish their new clues tomorrow so we can start the final round.

On 3/9/2020 at 3:10 AM, Fragile Bird said:

Let’s see, who guessed all the answers in two days?

Oh! The person who wrote clue #5!

So, as you can see, this was true!

I believe I was the only one who figured out that the bonus character was the Liddle instantly.

Now the fave clue vote has passed and the authors have been revealed, you have no more excuses, so how about your opinions on clues and whatnot?

I only have one opinion, and it's that I thought #4 was Robert Baratheon for a while. Sneaky clue, that.

1 hour ago, Eternally_His said:

I believe I was the only one who figured out that the bonus character was the Liddle instantly.

Now the fave clue vote has passed and the authors have been revealed, you have no more excuses, so how about your opinions on clues and whatnot?

I only have one opinion, and it's that I thought #4 was Robert Baratheon for a while. Sneaky clue, that.

I knew it was the Liddle instantly too, because I always liked that mysterious Liddle.

I think they were good clues this round. Some I would have got without the theme, and some not. 

I had 'girl corruptor for balancing dragons' wrong even after I got the theme because Arianne thinks 'game of thrones' in winds of winter (I forgot to exclude that) so I thought: she is a girl who corrupted Arys and then was tasked with weighing the dragons to decide who to support. It's strange how you can persuade yourself some interpretation is plausible when it's not, really. Luckily I worked out it was wrong once I got a prelim.

I got the Cersei one correct and liked it but its the kind you just can't feel sure you have oorrect.

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

The word "for" throws me off on #6. Can someone explain how that one flows to me like I'm stupid?

As that was one of the ones I did get right, I'll take a stab at it. "Girl corruptor" sounded like LF immediately. No idea who else it would have been. It took me a while to get away from dragons being Targaryens, but eventually I remembered that dragons were also money and LF has a talent for making money appear on the books and balance the accounts.

The "for"? It's a little like Biden (for example) "for" president - as though he had been nominated for the role.

6 hours ago, Eternally_His said:

It came to me quickly as well, but because I'm a sloppy reader I missed the food part when I checked the chapter where he appears. Also, I was hung up on the idea that these are named characters. Almost all have been prominent, if not POV. Another case of me blocking myself from an obvious answer.

3 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

The word "for" throws me off on #6. Can someone explain how that one flows to me like I'm stupid?

1 hour ago, honeyed chicken said:

The "for"? It's a little like Biden (for example) "for" president - as though he had been nominated for the role.

Basically, @honeyed chicken had it right. Littlefinger was Master of Coin (appointed by Robert). Before corrupting girls in his brothels, he corrupted Lysa, who later asked her husband to get the Master of Coin position for him. So it's 'girl corruptor for Master of Coin' (where he balanced dragons). Another possible meaning is that he corrupts girls in his brothels for the purpose of balancing (his own) dragons.  

Clue #8 gave me a hard time. At first I associated "bird's discipline" with Sansa's armour of courtesy. When I realized that it was the High Sparrow, I really liked it and felt that it had to be the right bird. However, the answer to the clue could just as well be Osney Kettleblack. He "confessed" to an affair with Margaery, but the High Sparrow found him too pleased to be guilty, so he had him tortured. Getting the theme made it clear that the disciplined one was Cersei, but without that, nothing excludes Osney. 

For clue #3, I had two fledgling boyish "dragons" to start with: (F)Aegon and Quentyn Martell (who had a few drops of dragonblood and therefore considered himself a potential dragonrider). That fact multiplied the number of possible "champions". Gerris Drinkwater defended Quentyn when Daario mocked him, and he "championed" his cause with Daenerys in various ways. When I had to abandon this idea, I was still left with Ser Duck (who would "naturally" :D consider a young boy a "fledgling"), though I didn't find him gushing enough. But when I did get to Varys, it really clicked. 

Archived