Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

ROUND TWO ANSWERS and RESULTS

1 - Unconscious, his bond unforgettably emerged.

Answer: Eddard Stark

(Sentenced Gared to death in Chapter 1 of AGoT)

Author: Ser Not Appearing

Clues: 4/7 = 8

Theme: 3 points for closeness

Author: 3/7 = 3

Total: 14

2 - Understated hero’s bastardy unequivocally erroneous!

Answer: Jon Snow

(Sentenced Janos Slynt to death)

Author: Castellan

Theme: 3 points for closeness

Author: 5/7 = 5

Total: 16

3 - Ugly hearted, beautifully unblemished exterior.

Answer: Joffrey Baratheon

(Sentenced Ned Stark to death)

Author: Fragile Bird

Clues: 7/7 = 14

Theme: -

Author: 3/7 = 3

Total: 17

4 - Tattered visage. Female.

Answer: Catelyn Stark

(Sentenced Merrett Frey to death)

Author: rocksniffer

Author: 4/7 = 4

Total: 12

5 - Underage heir. Betrayal. Untimely end.

Answer: Robb Stark

(Sentenced Rickard Karstark to death)

Author: Eternally_His

Clues: 3/7 = 6

Total: 11

6 - Usurped, honorable brother used enchantress.

Answer: Stannis Baratheon

(Sentenced Mance Rayder to death)

Author: honeyed chicken

Clues: 5/7 = 10

Total: 15

7 - Teenager victoriously fireproof

Answer: Daenerys Targaryen

(Sentenced 163 Great Masters to die nailed to posts)

(In the show she dishes out many more death sentences throughout)

Author: Julia H

Author: 6/7 = 6

Total: 14

8 - ‘Unflinching” hard-ass. Bald. Unique excreta?

Answer: Tywin Lannister

(Sentenced Tyrion to death)

(but Tyrion doesn’t hear it so we don’t know what he said until it is discussed in Jaime’s next chapter)

Author: She Who Must Be Obeyed

Clues: 7/7 = 14

Author: 7/7 = 7

Total: 21

Theme: Characters who sentenced someone to death during ASOIAF

Now to explain my hints.

1: On the first post about R2 the reason for edit note reads “Dreams elegantly assuage the head”, the first letters of which combine to read “death”. And no, I did not expect anyone to notice that!

2: Reason for edit note on the post with the R2 clues reads - “because of one wordless sentence” - referencing Tywin sentencing Tyrion. Between 1 and 2 you’ve got death sentence. And no, I still didn’t expect anyone to get anything from that! It was more if you had an inkling in the right direction you might possibly look back and see it.

3: On page 9 I wrote “Death to the host! Who’s with me?” then added misdirection to suggest this wasn’t the hint I was considering giving you.

4: On the same page I joked with Eternally_His about his response to my misdirection, which read “Oh I thought you were saying yes please to sentencing me to death” before adding yet more misdirection that I will add another hint. I really thought people would see through the misdirection.

5: The first poem was simply trying to say that I had already given you the hint, hinting at Dany’s words “If I look back I am lost”. Well, do look back and you might find what you were asking for.

6: The second poem. I hope this is fairly self-explanatory now. The words are the death sentences, the others are the receivers of the death sentence, some of whom escape but most do not.

And yes, I know, I’m pure evil! :smug:

STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 2

Julia H.    18 + 14 = 32

She Who Must Be Obeyed 9 + 21 = 30 

Fragile Bird   10 + 17 = 27

Castellan 10 + 16 = 26  

Ser Not Appearing   11 + 14 = 25

rocksniffer   9 + 12 = 21

honeyed chicken   5 + 15 = 20

Robb4Ever/Eternally_His   6 + 11 = 17

It seems I should be freer than I expected tomorrow, so if you can have your new clues ready as soon as possible I will begin R3. I hope to start it by early Thursday morning UK time at the latest but if we’re all ready at some point tomorrow I will publish the new clues.

Sighs.

If I had used my alternate clue, I would have had 7/7 and been in 2nd place. 

Terribly violent fiancé.

But it was just too easy! 
Yes, I figured people would go for Cersei, but I don’t consider her ‘ugly hearted’ like Joffrey, since she lived her children and loved Jaime. Joffrey didn’t live anyone.

I was kinda hoping to hear other people's opinions on this too, since I am rather fond of my clue.

Also, I was gonna change Arya to Catelyn in my final list, but for some reason I didn't. My bad. I could have had 4/7 in clues. Still would've been in the last place though, so it matters not.

Anyway, Sweetie and I are rearing to get a comeback.

Wow!

To think that I went through Gabe's words a hundred times and, in fact, considered "Death to the host" as a possible hint, but discarded the idea! But then with those character guesses of mine, nothing really worked. Hats off to everyone who guessed all the characters, and special congratulations to @She who must be Obeyed

For #1, I had multiple interpretations, like Theon, who woke up in bonds (a captive) after being knocked unconscious, and Bran, because while he was unconscious, his wolf was howling under his window.

For #3 I briefly considered Joffrey , however, it screamed Cersei to me. I know she turned out to be not so beautiful by AFfC, but there was a time when she was strikingly beautiful and still ugly-hearted. (I totally regard her as ugly-hearted - similarly to Joffrey. ) I also considered Darkstar because all we know about him is that he is beautiful but kind of "dark" inside. 

For #4, I never thought of Catelyn because I was too preoccupied with hesitating betwen Brienne and Shireen. Brienne's face becomes savaged and Shireen has the marks of greyscale. I even thought of Arya with her many faces, but only briefly.

I considered Joffrey for #5, but decided that my first idea (Robb) was more likely because of a tone of sympathy in the clue. 

13 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sighs.

If I had used my alternate clue, I would have had 7/7 and been in 2nd place. 

Terribly violent fiancé.

But it was just too easy! 
Yes, I figured people would go for Cersei, but I don’t consider her ‘ugly hearted’ like Joffrey, since she lived her children and loved Jaime. Joffrey didn’t live anyone.

i don't agree my dear Bird...Robert was a fiance as he was promised to lyanna stark...and while i think they both had an ugly heart cersei did not kill for fun people or animals like joff does...so joff it is

:smoking:

54 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

(Sentenced 163 Great Masters to die nailed to posts)

(In the show she dishes out many more death sentences throughout)

Oh. If you ask me, those 163 deaths seem to qualify her for this theme even without any added death sentences in the show. I was overthinking this part clearly. 

Regarding Gabe's second poem, I thought it was a precise description of the Lannister conquest of the Riverlands.

Words may be wind if actions don’t follow,

Jaime teaching the Frey guy that it's not worth threatening to kill Edmure if he is not going to do it.

Choices were made leaving others in sorrow,

There were lots of choices like that...

One other escapes making these words ring hollow,

Brynden Tully, who else?

But most of them accept a hard fate to swallow.

The lords of the Riverlands accept defeat and what it costs them (lands, hostages etc.). 

Anything wrong with this? :cool4:

Oh, wow. Yes.

Anumber of those clues were actively duplicitous. Including, as I had been warned, my own ... apparently. I'll let you all tell me why it was bad.

My own, very opinionated ... well ... opinions ... about the clues I missed:

2. Tyrion fits as an understatef hero more than Jon, the true hero. Even his stature fits the description. And his bastardy (secret Targ) is more erroneous than Jon's, who is arguably (though not decidedly) a bastard in truth. I'm legit surprised by missing this.

3. Joff is only considered so by a single character and even that changes, really. This is a clue relying on a limited perspective (and it's one I generally have a distaste for - Sansa drives me nuts). A broader perspective is that it fits Cersei and that's generally the entirety of her characterization... though it's, I think, not literally true as she has stretch marks. For that reason, I only kind of liked my Cersei answer, though Joff never once mind. Regardless, Joff fit significantly better at 5. By a good margin.

5. Robb rules - Joff gets a regent. Even Robert's will alludes to his being underage. It's an entire subplot. And heir is more often a royal reference. The purple wedding is a mirror to the red wedding in every respect from there but that first underage heir note makes Joff a perfect fit here. Underage heir is merely loosely accurate for Robb. He wasn't really thought of that way.

Begrudging note:

The strength of my statements above is a direct reflection of my refusal to admit imperfection more than is it an attack on the clues. With that said, this was not our best round in clue-making, surely.

Boy I made an error in the worst place. I was convinced #1 was Bran from the get go and never had any doubt, unlike with several other clues. My first idea was that it was about executing/assassinating and/or being assassinated. But there is so much death flying about in the character list it was hard to pin down. In the end, because of my absolute certainty about Bran, I said people who have had at least one assassination attempt, successful or not, and changed Stannis to Renly on those grounds. Bran was the only one who had never tried to assassinate or execute someone. I thought Eddard belonged on the list and considered changing Robb to Ned because after all Edward has an underage heir was betrayed and had an untimely end but decided that was silly.

Strangely, the hint about clue one being there for a reason did help me go back to the whole execution idea which I had abandoned. I took it as a hint about chapter Bran 1 in which we get Edwards homily about  execution. But I took that as confirmation that Bran was correct as it seemed to align with a theme.

I haven't read all the posts above yet and have no idea what the unconscious Eddard is about? His promise to Lyanna? I took it as it was when Bran was in a coma that he finally accepted the crow's prompting to fly and began his fateful transformation. That greenseer bond was really a bond with the sad implications of that word as well.

I thought tattered visage could only mean Brienne but that it was so obvious might be a sneaky someone else. I considered Nan (because I was trying to make an 'everyone appears in Bran 1 theme work) but her face wasn't tattered just withered etc. I never thought of Stoneheart.

Ah well. Thank you if you bothered to read to the end of this excited babbling.

10 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

With that said, this was not our best round in clue-making, surely.

I think it shows that clue moderation by the host is a good idea. It's a second opinion in any case. Also, having character prelims is another good idea. 

9 minutes ago, Eternally_His said:

Except Joff wasn't really betrayed (unlike Sweetie) and I also had the letters to keep in mind.

Well, he was poisoned by a supposed ally and (from the moment of the wedding) a family member, who was sitting at a feast with him. IMO, it qualifies as betrayal.

Archived