Acrophilia #20: Breakers of Chains

Dolorous Gabe

10 hours ago, Julia H. said:

I think starting the next game is the prize that I have won (unless there is someone else here who would really, really like to host a game right now), so, please, give me a couple of days to design a game and watch out for the announcement. 

Count me in.

1 hour ago, Eternally_His said:

Will it be a shuffling host round?

LOL, I don't think so. For the moment, it will be regular(?) hosting, then we'll see if we can find someone to organize a shuffling host game. ;)

@Dolorous Gabe Now hold on just gosh durn minit!

Did I miss it or did you ever explain the title of this edition of Acrophilia, "Breaker of Chains"? You will recall, early on I took a stab  (in a pm) at guessing why you picked that name. I guessed it had something to do with Daenerys as she kept showing up among the characters and after all - she IS the "breaker of chains". And you said (in effect, though in a very kindly tone) "no, it's not about her". I also got the impression you would reveal the truth at the end?

Just now, honeyed chicken said:

@Dolorous Gabe Now hold on just gosh durn minit!

Did I miss it or did you ever explain the title of this edition of Acrophilia, "Breaker of Chains"? You will recall, early on I took a stab  (in a pm) at guessing why you picked that name. I guessed it had something to do with Daenerys as she kept showing up among the characters and after all - she IS the "breaker of chains". And you said (in effect, though in a very kindly tone) "no, it's not about her". I also got the impression you would reveal the truth at the end?

why yes, I had given up on working that out. 

it tormented me in the first round as I had Daenerys as a character.

Yes, I also had this feeling that something was missing...  the explanation!

I was also thinking of this:

Heed not the wisdom of the breaker of chains,

When lost and alone and feeling the strain,

For what some have asked for again and again,

Is written so clearly and hidden so plain.

Words may be wind if actions don’t follow,

Choices were made leaving others in sorrow,

One other escapes making these words ring hollow,

But most of them accept a hard fate to swallow.

As the phrase was used in the singular here, I thought Gabe might be referring to himself. 

Perhaps the players are also breakers of chains ... in some sense. :dunno: Breaking the chains of the game and letting it soar?

25 minutes ago, Julia H. said:

Yes, I also had this feeling that something was missing...  the explanation!

I was also thinking of this:

As the phrase was used in the singular here, I thought Gabe might be referring to himself. 

Perhaps the players are also breakers of chains ... in some sense. :dunno: Breaking the chains of the game and letting it soar?

Yes I thought he might be referring to himself but as it seems to be saying "ignore the breaker's wisdom as the clues are all there to be found" that does not make much sense

the second verse remains mysterious

Maybe Gabe gave up on an uber theme he had in mind when he decided to switch to an easier approach for the last two rounds

The truth is pretty boring.

My original game plan changed a lot but I kept the thread title because it still worked on one intended level: that we were breaking tradition in that different rounds in the same game had different systems. The shackles of old systems were removed.

But originally Dany was in all the rounds (she was supposed to be an extra fitting character I would give everyone in R1 but I messed up by giving Castellan the wrong character). I decided to put R3 in because I loved the idea of it, so once I'd done that it felt easier to change the final two rounds I originally had down.

hmmm I was speculating about the title before it started and I thought all the rounds might be different categories of chain breakers e.g. escapees 

I am good at speculating not so good at solving.

Wow! Well done @Julia H.! I thought I had you but it never fails I ended up a dollar short. :bowdown:

The game was really challenging @Dolorous Gabe I enjoyed the mix up of rounds. It made the ferreting out of clues and especially themes tricky! :cheers:

To everyone else, great job! I was impressed by everyone's ability to dig down and find explanations for the clues! :commie:

On 3/28/2020 at 11:35 PM, Castellan said:

Does anyone think an acrophobia game where every player had to conduct a round (and obviously not score in that round) would work?

I thought this would be a great idea, but it seems I am confused. I thought it would be easy for AcroPHOBIA but I don't think it would be easy for PHILIA. Since I happened to eek out a win in our last game of AcroPHOBIA, I might be compelled to do a PHOBIA game where we do just that. I will give it some thought for a day or so then proffer the game for us all to discuss.  :P

8 hours ago, She who must be Obeyed said:

I thought this would be a great idea, but it seems I am confused. I thought it would be easy for AcroPHOBIA but I don't think it would be easy for PHILIA. Since I happened to eek out a win in our last game of AcroPHOBIA, I might be compelled to do a PHOBIA game where we do just that. I will give it some thought for a day or so then proffer the game for us all to discuss.  :P

If you do launch such a game, you can count me in. :)

Archived